Seneca

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
The schedule happened. That was, without a doubt, the hardest schedule we have ever played. FSU, Iowa, Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado, KState were all top 10-15 teams at one point during the year. Texas Tech, Nebraksa and Missouri were also borderline top 25 teams. Then we played a top 25 team in Boise St. in the bowl game, in Boise.

Here is what teams were ranked when we played them:

FSU - #3
Nebraska - #20
Oklahoma - #2
Texas - #7
KState - #12
Colorado - #17
Boise St. - #19

Iowa was unranked when we played them, but ended up in the top 10 as we were their only regular season loss. So we played 4 top 20 teams over a 5 week stretch, with a team that had no depth.
My favorite fact about that season.

Reactions: Doc and isutrevman

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I still remember being in the stands for "the run" screaming for him to throw it away once he was scrambling deep into the backfield then going bonkers celebrating the miraculous TD.

Probably one of the other plays in Cyclone FB history that got me that worked up was another game I was at when Billups taking a punt back for a TD filling in for JJ Moses who got injured during the 2000 Insight.com bowl game:

I'm hoping that we are on the verge of making some new long lasting memories with this current coaching staff and group of players as I still have a soft spot for the McCarney days when we were competitive. Would love to find a way to get Dan more involved with the program in some capacity as he's so positive and motivating and really got the most out of some guys that were little known during recruiting.

I would like to see more players finish the play protecting the ball like Billups did here. The crazy thing about that play was the only reason Billups was back there was because our regular kick returner had just gotten injured.

Reactions: CYdTracked

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Still had to either make the extra point, or go for the 2 pt conversion. The next play was stuffed, so I guess the 2 pt conversion would have been stuffed as well. So perhaps McCarney would have been forced out sooner?
McCarney was quoted as saying that they had already decided to go for 2 and the play he was going to use was the one he ended up having to use on the last play of the game so if they had called him in it is likely that they would have stuffed him on the try. But we can't say that for sure since it would have been a huge momentum swing if ISU was going for the win on that play. There is no telling how that would have affected the psyche of both units on the field. Just like the OSU defense in 2011. That OSU defense had lost all will after the OT interception which made Woody's job much easier.

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe and aobie

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Not to disagree but I still don't understand. Those first 8 games he was a very accurate passer and with his speed when the pass wasn't there he could always make it happen with the run.

The last games were all cold and/or wet. He has small hands for a QB,

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Just watched Seneca Wallace on Facebook Live. What an amazing player! So then I had to go to youtube and watch some of the clips including the Heisman promo and of course "The Run". Got me thinking what happened to that 2002 team? Why the disappointing finish after that great 7-1 start and being ranked 9th in the AP?

Watch the receiver Seneca was looking at and you'll realize why we sucked the rest of the way.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Boise State game: we were exhausted physically and mentally. After such an encouraging start, that was a huge letdown to go to Boise. Couple of players were suspended that morning. IIRC some of the players publicly made comments that they were never not thrilled to go to Boise and ended up having to apologize to humanitarian Bowl.

Seneca got hit below the knee (he was asked whether it was a legal hit or cheap shot and he said "you decide") and Hawkins ran up the score. still can't forgive him for those things.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Another side of the story, IIRC, was our OC became overreliant on Seneca that we didn't even bother developing our running game and we didn't have anyone with Ennis Haywood who graduated (Ruthland - God rest his soul, Wagner and Frank Garcia and Matt Gasserode - I don't think the last 2 ever played for us). Just give the ball to Seneca and letnhim improvise

If you see that roster you have couple of players ended up playing in the NFL: Jeremy Lloyd, Hobbs and Carstens

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Another side of the story, IIRC, was our OC became overreliant on Seneca that we didn't even bother developing our running game and we didn't have anyone with Ennis Haywood who graduated (Ruthland - God rest his soul, Wagner and Frank Garcia and Matt Gasserode - I don't think the last 2 ever played for us). Just give the ball to Seneca and letnhim improvise

If you see that roster you have couple of players ended up playing in the NFL: Jeremy Lloyd, Hobbs and Carstens
Poor offensive coordinating has been a key calling card for the Cyclones far too long IMO. Seneca was like finding a golden ticket in Ames, poor bast@rds didn't know how to handle it. Not trying to degrade anyone, because I loved that time in our history, but it's always a callous reminder going back to some of those years. That's one thing with Iowa State, the highs can be pretty high, but the lows, can be just as dramatic.

Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I would like to see more players finish the play protecting the ball like Billups did here. The crazy thing about that play was the only reason Billups was back there was because our regular kick returner had just gotten injured.

Correct, Billups was a freshman backup RB at the time, JJ Moses left the game with a concussion I believe. That was one entertaining bowl game, Pitt was a decent team that year and had a future 2nd round NFL pick in Antonio Bryant at WR and Paul Rhoads was their DC. While we had a pretty favorable schedule that year with no TX or OK on the schedule that still may be the best team we've had in FB. Lot of guys that played in the NFL on that team even if some of them only got a brief shot at it that is still more than we've had recently out of this program.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Poor offensive coordinating has been a key calling card for the Cyclones far too long IMO. Seneca was like finding a golden ticket in Ames, poor bast@rds didn't know how to handle it. Not trying to degrade anyone, because I loved that time in our history, but it's always a callous reminder going back to some of those years. That's one thing with Iowa State, the highs can be pretty high, but the lows, can be just as dramatic.

Part of the problem is when we have had good OC's the players we have aren't capable of running their offense. Look at Herman as a prime example. It's obvious now that he was a good hire even though our offense was nothing special while he was here. Once he got the athletes necessary to run his offense look at what he did at Ohio State and Houston. Can't remember what year it was but it was one of the years we had Blythe and Meyer I was given a sideline pass from a friend when we played Texas and it was night and day just how out-matched we were physically when we lined up. For as great of a WR Blythe was, when he lines up against TX he looked like a toothpick and our offensive and defensive lines looked outmatched size wise before they even broke the huddle. That is the challenge of recruiting and coaching at ISU is there is little room for error because if one of our 1st string guys goes down there usually is a huge gap in size and talent between 1st and 2nd string guys while the big programs usually have a guy on the 2 deep who could be starting for us.

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe