Former UT QB Chris Sims Admits Taking Money From Boosters

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
What is the purpose of paying athletes who are enrolled at your school and on your team? I understand trying to entice players to COME to your school, but once they're there transfers rarely happen. So what do booster stand to gain from paying players?

Because a lot of boosters are trying to get access to those players for various reasons. Weather they are losers who just like hanging out with those guys like the Shapiro kid in Miami, or they want access to the program as a status symbol or they want something from the kid down the line if he makes it big

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
What is the purpose of paying athletes who are enrolled at your school and on your team? I understand trying to entice players to COME to your school, but once they're there transfers rarely happen. So what do booster stand to gain from paying players?
Because a lot of boosters are trying to get access to those players for various reasons.

The article quotes Sims saying some Booster wanted him to autograph (10) Sims' Jerseys - and gave him a $100 "Handshake".....the scumbag probably sold them, black-market, for hundreds.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I'm sure it happens at ISU but it is more fun to talk about other schools.

A kid that went to my son's high school was on Grey Shirt program for Iowa FB one fall semester. A booster gave him a free apartment above the booster's business. There was no rent because the kid "was providing night time security by living there".

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Some boosters just want to feel like they're a big deal within the program, too. I forget the guy's name now but the booster that brought down Miami's football program basically just wanted to be a part of the team, and throwing a shitload of illegal benefits at the players was his way of doing so.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I know a certain Heisman candidate not named Seneca Wallace that I made steaks for at my house for him and his brother. Had him sign balls. No money exchanged ever. Just free steaks for him and his bother. We will call them Roy and Barrin Mavis.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I know a certain Heisman candidate not named Seneca Wallace that I made steaks for at my house for him and his brother. Had him sign balls. No money exchanged ever. Just free steaks for him and his brother. We will call them Roy and Barrin Mavis.

Death penalty to be issued within the next 24 hours. Thanks a bunch.

cyclonestans

Dec 20, 2013
Iowa
I know a certain Heisman candidate not named Seneca Wallace that I made steaks for at my house for him and his brother. Had him sign balls. No money exchanged ever. Just free steaks for him and his bother. We will call them Roy and Barrin Mavis.

Liar! Roy and Barrin Mavis never wore the Cardinal and Gold! They aren't even real people!

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I will never care about athletes taking money from boosters, but I am confused as to why the son of Phil Simms would need to snag cash from anyone else.

At least Phil wasn't stupid enough to get his kid into subsidized housing......

Reactions: Acylum

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Meh, not much risk in taking cash. Just deny it and you're good.

Yep, that's really the problem with the NCAA ever enforcing things. It seems the situations that get caught involve memorabilia, cars, food, clothing etc. where somebody is trying to slide around the rules. If you want to cheat and you're smart, it's hard to beat the $100 handshake or cash magically appearing in a backpack.

Help Support Us

Become a patron