Campustown Redevelopment

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Wow. That's a waste of $2.1 million.

If they're gonna ***** and moan about budget cuts so they can raise tuition, I don't wanna see this kinda BS.

Not to mention the fields don't get used from November to March because the field is frozen.

Another reason for the improvement might be that they will end up moving more activities to the MWL open space as the AD is taking over some of the area they currently use east of University Ave for more parking and RV/camping amenities in the near future.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Wow. That's a waste of $2.1 million.

If they're gonna ***** and moan about budget cuts so they can raise tuition, I don't wanna see this kinda BS.

Not to mention the fields don't get used from November to March because the field is frozen.

If there is only 6 months of use available, then why not extend it as much as possible?

They won't directly mention it in that document, but it also adds usage hours for Special Olympics, Iowa Games, and opens the door for Ames/ISU to bid on more summer sporting events.

The university didn't cut its own budget, nor does it get to unilaterally decide to raise tuition. That's the Legislature and Regents, respectively.

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
Showing a complete lack of understanding of why tuition has been going up (consistent underfunding by the state).

Recreational options are something every university should have.
I agree, we should have good sec services but the $2.1mil can be spent on better rec options. Not irrigation and lighting. What percentage of students would want their tuition dollars going to that/ever get any "use" of that?

If there is only 6 months of use available, then why not extend it as much as possible?

They won't directly mention it in that document, but it also adds usage hours for Special Olympics, Iowa Games, and opens the door for Ames/ISU to bid on more summer sporting events.

The university didn't cut its own budget, nor does it get to unilaterally decide to raise tuition. That's the Legislature and Regents, respectively.

That's my point. When times are tough, should we really be using $2.1 million on drainage and lighting on fields?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I agree, we should have good sec services but the $2.1mil can be spent on better rec options. Not irrigation and lighting. What percentage of students would want their tuition dollars going to that/ever get any "use" of that?

Lighting means that those facilities can be used more hours per day. Irrigation helps the fields stay in better condition.

And that number is fairly small when extrapolated over the number who may eventually use that (and compared to the *annual* budget of well over 1 billion). I mean, state gym was what, 50 million? This is one of iowa state's few open areas available for outdoor rec, especially if Athletics expands over the road.

And if it will bring in opportunities for the university to offset that cost with other income as @theshadow notes, all the better.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
The annual budget is 1,400,000,000 of which 30% comes from tuition.

To put that into perspective, the average Iowa household would be spending $27 light their back yard.

With car loans, mortgages, rising property taxes should a household really spend $27 on lighting their back yard?

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The annual budget is 1,400,000,000 of which 30% comes from tuition.

.0015 of the budget is doing this project and .00045 of tuition is covering this project.

And that's just one year's tuition, when this project will have benefit over multiple years.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

That's my point. When times are tough, should we really be using $2.1 million on drainage and lighting on fields?

Rec services has a budget and can spend their money how they see fit. I'm guessing some of this money is coming from the AD in exchange for taking over those fields across from the stadium. This is NOT part of a tuition increase as student fees are set and negotiated.

Reactions: Three4Cy

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
All I'm saying, is from living in Ames the past 5 years and seeing how much use that field gets, the money can be better spent else where. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
All I'm saying, is from living in Ames the past 5 years and seeing how much use that field gets, the money can be better spent else where. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Ok, but if the field is lighted, in good shape, and has some baseball diamonds and some sand volleyball courts, don't you think that it would see a lot more use? I mean, every single amenity that the university provides started with a vision and an investment.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
Ok, but if the field is lighted, in good shape, and has some baseball diamonds and some sand volleyball courts, don't you think that it would see a lot more use? I mean, every single amenity that the university provides started with a vision and an investment.
Not really sure because about a half mile down the road from these MWL fields, all that already exists. And right next to MWL fields are the massive intramural fields with lights as well.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Not really sure because about a half mile down the road from these MWL fields, all that already exists. And right next to MWL fields are the massive intramural fields with lights as well.

Some of those will go away to athletics.

Also, there are 10,000 more students now than 10 years ago. There's a need for more facilities than there were then.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center

That's a bad argument, though. It's the same as "No one uses that vacant lot so we shouldn't put a playground there". or "Everyone walks in the street so there is no need for a sidewalk."

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
That's a bad argument, though. It's the same as "No one uses that vacant lot so we shouldn't put a playground there". or "Everyone walks in the street so there is no need for a sidewalk."
It's not close to that at all. You act like this field is unusable without this being done to it, which is not the case.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
And right next to MWL fields are the massive intramural fields with lights as well.

The old soccer field and the adjacent practice field are the only lighted areas. And they only have lights because they were used for varsity teams. That total area is still less than 1/2 the size of the MWL fields.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It's not close to that at all. You act like this field is unusable without this being done to it, which is not the case.

Except for much of the time it is due to A) darkness, B) improper drainage C) field conditions deteriorating

This improves all of those things.

• Winner
Reactions: harimad and jkclone

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
#1 This is to help address the expansion of the parking lots at JTS. Rec services was willing to part with the land as long as athletics gave them X amount of space that was lighted so they could do intramurals longer into the night (instead of just a 5:20 and 6:20 flag football/softball game, it could go to 9:20). So yes, for what Rec Services needs, those fields are unusable without lights. Additionally, by lowering the number of fields available for use, you need additional maintenance help (irrigation) because each field is going to see more action than it otherwise would have.

#2 This is a drop in the bucket for Rec Services spending.

#3 I don't know who has looked at the fields at Lied that the soccer team used to be on but they look like absolute **** and require a ton of maintenance because they're used too much.

#4 Parking should be a somewhat hilarious **** show for this.