Required Reading: Is Kyrie the anti KD? Pick 3 for 7/26/17

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I read the Kyrie column. I think the big difference between his trade demand and KD leaving for the Warriors is that the consensus is KD is good enough to get there on his own. We always want to see the superstars blaze their own trail, not join a finished product (FWIW, I didn't have a problem with what KD did. He signed up for a ton of pressure and backlash by joining the Warriors. I don't think there was anything easy about that decision, but that's just me). He's one of the best three players in the league right now.

Kyrie's very good, but you'd have a difficult time finding someone who really believes he's even one of the best five point guards in the league, let alone one of the five best. This is hubris. He's a scorer and a hell of a good one, but we'll see what happens when he has to get teammates involved and play defense, and he can't just go looking for his shot.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Kyrie Irving is definitely a top 5 point guard

In no particular order I'd put Westbrook, CP3, Curry, John Wall, and James Harden in front of him. And if you don't consider Harden a point guard, you could sub in the severely underrated Mike Conley Jr. Irving is one dimensional. How does he make his teammates better?

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
In no particular order I'd put Westbrook, CP3, Curry, John Wall, and James Harden in front of him. And if you don't consider Harden a point guard, you could sub in the severely underrated Mike Conley Jr. Irving is one dimensional. How does he make his teammates better?

I think Lillard is right there with Irving too, very similar numbers, and flaws, and he doesn't have the benefit of LeBron being the main focus of the opponents game plan every night.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Kyrie thinks the world is flat, so you can't really trust his judgement.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
And Isaiah Thomas was 2nd team All-NBA this past year too. There are so many good point guards in the league right now.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think Lillard is right there with Irving too, very similar numbers, and flaws, and he doesn't have the benefit of LeBron being the main focus of the opponents game plan every night.

Agreed. And in terms of efficiency you could even make a case for Kyle Lowry, although that's a bit of a stretch. The issue is that all we've seen from Kyrie is that he's an elite scorer. And that's a great skill to have. But he's what, six years into his pro career now? And after six years all we know that he's an an elite scorer and an apathetic defender, and we have no idea whether or not he can even create opportunities for teammates. Big questions to consider for any team thinking about making him the centerpiece of their roster.