Some Metrics on Jacob Park

colin_jokeo

Jul 11, 2017
Iowa City, IA
This came up on twitter and it surprised me.

ReturningPower5QB.JPG ReturningPower5QB.JPG

ANY/A = Adjusted Net Yards per Attempt. It factors in a bonus for TDs and penalties for Interceptions and Sacks. Y/A is just yards divided by attempts. This list has the obvious names BUT you see Jacob Park just made the cut. This isn't a perfect, "end all be all" metric but it's a pretty good way to filter out bad QB play. Obviously, teams with a lot of YAC potential will have inflated values (Looking at you Baker).

This got me curious on how well Park stacked up to previous dudes. So here's the entire list of ISU QB's with more than 200 Passing Attempts sorted by AY/A. (This twitter guy must have access to advanced stats for ANY/A because sports-reference.com only has AY/A, which does not factor in sacks. Park took 12 sacks over 225 atts, for a 5% sack rate, which isn't terrible)

ISU_Career_AY_A.JPG ISU_Career_AY_A.JPG

This I found interesting. Park tops this list with Lanning is right behind him. Both guys limited turnovers (2+ td-int ratio) which had not really happened before. Seneca, Sage had negative ratios. Meyer, Arnaud had a good number of picks. Sam Richardson almost had a 2-1 ratio but his low YPA showed his dink and dunk, tuck and run tendencies.

Included rushing numbers as those are fun to see, especially with the older QBs, shows how the game has changed.

Given Park's story and being this productive after not playing is impressive. He also did not play against UNI or Baylor. Small sample size but it appears he's #good.

(edit: added B12 QBs per game rates)

B12_YPA_1.JPG

B12_YPA_2.JPG

Last edited:

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Great info...and yet Park still flies under the radar...even in the Big 12 pre-season. Still, wouldn't be surprised if his first couple of games are a bit average as the O-line comes together. Very excited to think about having Park back there with all the receivers...it will be fun!

colin_jokeo

Jul 11, 2017
Iowa City, IA
For anyone curious about how Iowa.

IOWA_Career_AY_A.JPG

Banks may have gotten a shot in today's NFL as a backup like Trevone Boykin with Seattle. Didn't really do much in the CFL, he was traded for Kliff Kingsbury apparently though. Tate is still a CFL backup. Chuck Long was a pretty big bust playing and coaching.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 0

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008

View attachment 48923

Banks may have gotten a shot in today's NFL as a backup like Trevone Boykin with Seattle. Didn't really do much in the CFL, he was traded for Kliff Kingsbury apparently though. Tate is still a CFL backup. Chuck Long was a pretty big bust playing and coaching.

Seems like the rivalry board is the place for this post.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: aauummm and GTO

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Great info...and yet Park still flies under the radar...even in the Big 12 pre-season. Still, wouldn't be surprised if his first couple of games are a bit average as the O-line comes together. Very excited to think about having Park back there with all the receivers...it will be fun!
'Under the radar' There was an Oklahoma writer that did not even have him listed on the top 10 QB in the Big 12.... Instead had OU's backup and the KU qb.....

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
'Under the radar' There was an Oklahoma writer that did not even have him listed on the top 10 QB in the Big 12.... Instead had OU's backup and the KU qb.....
Definitely should be a rallying point for the team...shows how much effort some of the "experts" put into their work.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Definitely should be a rallying point for the team...shows how much effort some of the "experts" put into their work.
Probably a similar so called 'expert' to the guy that CW mentioned on the FAWcast that was drilling Kingsburry on defense without really asking a question.....

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Park is easily the most talented ISU passer I've seen since Seneca. Seneca was especially great throwing on the run, but I could see Park being a better pocket passer than Seneca.

You could see the raw talent and arm strength last season, fitting balls into tight windows. Even staring down receivers and making late throws, the ball still got to the intended target. He's got that type of gunslinger mentality. If he has just improved some of his decision-making and cleaned up the timing, I have no doubt he will have a great year. As long as the OL keeps him upright. And I'd prefer they minimize the zone-read stuff with him. Let him be a focused passer, let the RB's run the ball.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Park is easily the most talented ISU passer I've seen since Seneca. Seneca was especially great throwing on the run, but I could see Park being a better pocket passer than Seneca.

You could see the raw talent and arm strength last season, fitting balls into tight windows. Even staring down receivers and making late throws, the ball still got to the intended target. He's got that type of gunslinger mentality. If he has just improved some of his decision-making and cleaned up the timing, I have no doubt he will have a great year. As long as the OL keeps him upright. And I'd prefer they minimize the zone-read stuff with him. Let him be a focused passer, let the RB's run the ball.

Agreed. We don't need him making that read. Designed play-action with a couple keepers to keep the defense honest. He has decent wheels, but really looks scared to get hit.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Although i am in agreement that too many people bring Iowa into the conversation, I'm OK if OP wanted to post this here, He took the time to do the research. Read it if you want, ignore if not. It fit his original post more than posting a whole new thread on rivals board.

That's my point, how do I (and others who want to read about iSu on an iSu forum and not read about eiu on an iSu forum) ignore it when I'm reading about iSu's Park and the next post is about eiu qbs? I've begun reading that post before I am given the option whether to read it.

Taking the time to do the research, is, imo, beside the point. The topic is eiu football and is irrelevant on an iSu football forum. IMO. Easy enough to post it on the rivalry board and refer there to a similar post about iSu qbs on the iSu football forum; vice versa. One brief sentence, job done.

Just sick of eiu posts on iSu forums. If I'm the only one here who feels this way, then my point of view is not important. Never mind.

We are Iowa State; we are not an Iowa State and iowa fan base, or are we?

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

View attachment 48923

How small is your **** anyway? Are we talking inverted?

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
That's my point, how do I (and others who want to read about iSu on an iSu forum and not read about eiu on an iSu forum) ignore it when I'm reading about iSu's Park and the next post is about eiu qbs? I've begun reading that post before I am given the option whether to read it.

Taking the time to do the research, is, imo, beside the point. The topic is eiu football and is irrelevant on an iSu football forum. IMO. Easy enough to post it on the rivalry board and refer there to a similar post about iSu qbs on the iSu football forum; vice versa. One brief sentence, job done.

Just sick of eiu posts on iSu forums. If I'm the only one here who feels this way, then my point of view is not important. Never mind.

Yep. **** iowa

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
You could see the raw talent and arm strength last season, fitting balls into tight windows. Even staring down receivers and making late throws, the ball still got to the intended target. He's got that type of gunslinger mentality. If he has just improved some of his decision-making and cleaned up the timing, I have no doubt he will have a great year.

I laugh still when I recall Lazard's Texas Tech post-game interview when he was asked about his slick one-handed TD catch of Park's long fast throw. I'm paraphrasing, something about crazy Park, Lazard knew he was going to throw it even though three DBs were on the scene.

Gunslinger. Perfect.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Seems like the rivalry board is the place for this post.

Valid points. And You suggested to this OP in a nice way, not jumping on him. So good job. Yes, most of us do NOT want to hear about UI at the drop of a hat. That gets old in a hurry.

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
You have to look at it from an outside perspective. He's playing for a school with no tradition and he only started a handful of games. He will get his accolades this year, once he's proven it. Who cares about hype anyways? Jeremy Johnson had a TON of it and that didn't make him perform.

• Agree
Reactions: CyValley

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016

I agree. The only knock on Park that I see is that he can sometimes hang around too long in the pocket and is willing to throw into coverage and rush his throw if he feels the rush coming. His raw tools are off the charts though. He should have a great year.

• Agree
Reactions: CyValley

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron