RECRUITING: Another in-state offer for 2018

zenmaster

Apr 19, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Just like my last post, that type RBs only work if you have a Bama/tOSU type Oline. We're quite a few years away from that.

Adrian Peterson led the NFL in rushing last year behind an oline that was garbage. A good big back can do a lot to cover for a mediocre line. Not trying to compare this kid to AP, but the argument that a quick back is needed with a lessor line does not hold water. I do believe Henry from Alabama could have matched or bettered Warren's numbers last year behind our line, given the same amount of carries, and the extra size usually equates to more durability and potential to take an even bigger load. Likewise, we have had a long list of smaller shiftier backs that continually got dropped in the backfield because they could not break tackles.

You may be right in that this kid may outgrow the position, even before he arrives on a college campus.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
Troy Davis was a short, bowling ball type back that wasn't exceptionally fast, but he could run a guy over and he did alright behind a terrible line. A good back can make a bad line look great. Look at the NFL and you'll see it year in and year out. The best RB of all time IMO was Barry Sanders and he had horrible lines in Detroit, as said above, AP in Minny last year behind a terrible line.

The reverse is true also. A great line can make an ok RB look amazing. Check out pretty much every Wiscy RB in the past however many years. They were incredible in college and then in the NFL...crickets

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Troy Davis was a short, bowling ball type back that wasn't exceptionally fast, but he could run a guy over and he did alright behind a terrible line. A good back can make a bad line look great. Look at the NFL and you'll see it year in and year out. The best RB of all time IMO was Barry Sanders and he had horrible lines in Detroit, as said above, AP in Minny last year behind a terrible line.

The reverse is true also. A great line can make an ok RB look amazing. Check out pretty much every Wiscy RB in the past however many years. They were incredible in college and then in the NFL...crickets

I wouldn't call Troy's line terrible.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
I know this is the opposite of what some are saying but having a big powerful runner is actually what you need if you line is struggling. If the line is bad the RB is going to get hit more often...meaning they need to be able to fight through tackles. Wimberly was a perfect examples of a fast quick RB wasted with a bad line. He was not big enough to break the arm tackles.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Bizarre recruitment, it sounds like he just stopped responding to camp/visit invites for this summer and has been tough to get in contact with.

Best of luck to him.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
That size as a soph, no way he should be playing RB in college.

The last running back we took that approach with ended up at UNI and then the Arizona Cardinals. Pretty sure size as a sophomore does not count.

Also, Everytime I see this kids name I think it's a Soybean report from the farms. Not dogging his name. Just that my brain processes his name as Soybean.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron