The curtain is gone and other wrestling info

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
The meet at CY Stephens is not included . I'm ok with that , there are more home meets and they are spread out more . Last year the first home meet was in January.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Is the link working for anyone else? All i get is an empty page?

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
I just tested it and it worked for me. First time I went to the site I got a white screen but it loaded within a minute. If it isn't working for others I will try and link it again.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
The link worked for me this time... interesting (and much needed) changes coming.

Love that the curtain will be gone, I hated that thing!

Thought the "Concession discounts" is an interesting benefit with the season ticket package. I don't buy season tickets as I just use the G.A. tickets that come with our Cyclone Club donation, but it's still a good idea.

It's also good they will be opening Johnny's up (and at a reasonable price compared to basketball), they should use that thing as much as they can! Although I find it odd to close it after intermission.

<edit> bit of a rant -> but wtf is iowa state athletics doing using a wixsite website / URL... this should be something that is part of the cyclones.com web site. (end of rant) </edit>

Last edited:

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
Thought the "Concession discounts" is an interesting benefit with the season ticket package. I don't buy season tickets as I just use the G.A. tickets that come with our Cyclone Club donation, but it's still a good idea.

For the record this isn't new. Last year, for example, Oklahoma had half price walking tacos and UNI/Minnesota had $1 off clone cones. The back of the season ticket shows the specials for each meet.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Am I the only one slightly concerned about removing the curtain? The rationale for using it makes perfect sense to me. I can only imagine how empty and quiet that place will be for some matches if the attendance isn't much better than the last few years.

I expect an increase in attendance early in the year, but just hope it's still there for those late season matches if the team isn't doing too well.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Am I the only one slightly concerned about removing the curtain? The rationale for using it makes perfect sense to me. I can only imagine how empty and quiet that place will be for some matches if the attendance isn't much better than the last few years.

I expect an increase in attendance early in the year, but just hope it's still there for those late season matches if the team isn't doing too well.
In the matches I've attended, it's been "empty and quiet" even with the curtain...

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Really like the Johnnys idea. Looking forward to that and some hopefully more aggressive wrestling

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Right, that's what I'm saying. So now, double the size of the arena, but have the same amount of fans. It will be bad.

I agree with this. You only want to get rid of the curtain if you already know that it won't be needed. If ticket sales haven't gone up tremendously, then it's going to look really pathetic in there. Will they put tarps over the entire balcony then or what?

I think it might take a year of improved results before the curtain can come down.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
The curtain just looks tacky - for wrestling and volleyball IMO. It looks as if there's construction or something on the other side, away from view.
Speaking of tacky, having taped lines on a basketball court for volleyball is tacky too, for a Big 12 program. It's something out of high school.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The curtain just looks tacky - for wrestling and volleyball IMO. It looks as if there's construction or something on the other side, away from view.
Speaking of tacky, having taped lines on a basketball court for volleyball is tacky too, for a Big 12 program. It's something out of high school.

I've always been okay with the curtain. Sure, I would like 15,000 fans. If we have 5,000 or less, it makes sense to use the curtain.

• Agree
Reactions: crablegs

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

Is it tacky for a non-Big 12 perennial national power? Asking on behalf of Stanford.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
[QUOTE="ISC, post: 5736216, member: 8564

<edit> bit of a rant -> but wtf is iowa state athletics doing using a wixsite website / URL... this should be something that is part of the cyclones.com web site. (end of rant) </edit>[/QUOTE] My initial thought too.......

But as far as what was laid out I am on the boat with others who have concerns about the curtain being taken down. Hopefully we can get some more fans to show up where that will be put to rest. Love the idea of Johnnys!!