Iowa Football Recruiting

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Man I'll feel bad if another person throws away millions of dollars to play at Iowa instead of taking the money at a pro level like King should have.

If you're drafted in top 5 rounds, take the offer and go.

he should probably go the MLB route, depending on where he gets drafted. I wouldn't take what he says to seriously, he should say he wants to go to Iowa to get them to pay over slot.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
he should probably go the MLB route, depending on where he gets drafted. I wouldn't take what he says to seriously, he should say he wants to go to Iowa to get them to pay over slot.

My opinion, but wouldnt that cause MLB teams to pass on him if they think he is unlikely to sign?

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I wouldn't care if he was committed to ISU. If you have the option to get paid playing AAA ball, do it.

well he doesn't have the option to go to AAA, he'll likely go to low A or instructs since he's a high school player. The key is where he's drafted which determines what his signing bonus will be. Minor leaguers don't get paid crap in terms of salary so it all depends on the signing bonus

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
well he doesn't have the option to go to AAA, he'll likely go to low A or instructs since he's a high school player. The key is where he's drafted which determines what his signing bonus will be. Minor leaguers don't get paid crap in terms of salary so it all depends on the signing bonus

I don't really know much about the MLB draft, so I took a bit of a shot in the dark with the AAA thing. Either way, if you have the chance to go make money playing baseball, do it. Granted, they may not make a whole lot, but if he's good enough it won't matter. It worked out pretty well for Brandon Weeden.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
My opinion, but wouldnt that cause MLB teams to pass on him if they think he is unlikely to sign?

no, every high schooler ever says that (though it's usually about playing college baseball, not football).

It's all about creating leverage. College seniors always get the lowest bonuses because they have no leverage in negotiations, they either play pro ball or they find another career.

Now some kids are actually serious about wanting to go to college, and he might be one of them. But if he gets taken in the first round, you can almost guarantee he'll get signed.

• Winner
Reactions: Yellow Snow

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I wonder if the opinion of both teams' fanbases on these kids from the state of Iowa will ever come back to haunt Iowa?

ISU fans on kids from Iowa that go to Iowa: "I wish we could have got him, he will be a good one. But he grew up a Hawk fan, so you can't blame him."

Iowa fans on kids from Iowa that go to ISU: "We didn't want him anyway. He's not good enough for us. If we miss on every single recruit on our list, maybe we'll offer this kid a chance to walk-on to the great Iowa program. The kid must be a thug if he picked ISU anyway."

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
Good Lord guys,

Iowa did not pull the offer, they did not say you can not come, they simply said lets make sure you are 100% ready to commit and visit first.

Like I said, I would not expect ISU fans to understand

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
I wonder if the opinion of both teams' fanbases on these kids from the state of Iowa will ever come back to haunt Iowa?

ISU fans on kids from Iowa that go to Iowa: "I wish we could have got him, he will be a good one. But he grew up a Hawk fan, so you can't blame him."

Iowa fans on kids from Iowa that go to ISU: "We didn't want him anyway. He's not good enough for us. If we miss on every single recruit on our list, maybe we'll offer this kid a chance to walk-on to the great Iowa program. The kid must be a thug if he picked ISU anyway."

Both fanbases pull the "We didnt want him anyway" card.

I think you are greatly exaggerating on the bold part.

Its like ISU fans get their feelings hurt if they get an instate kid and claim they got him over Iowa but then Iowa fans tell them the kid didnt have an Iowa offer.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Good Lord guys,

Iowa did not pull the offer, they did not say you can not come, they simply said lets make sure you are 100% ready to commit and visit first.

Like I said, I would not expect ISU fans to understand

He DID commit. Turns out that Iowa wasn't ready to take his commitment yet. Completely the same thing Brian was taking shots at ISU for.

I'm not saying Iowa was wrong in the "visit" policy. But Brian should have kept his mouth shut about "the guys in Ames" prior to doing the same thing he's taking shots at others for.

Too rich.... lol

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
He DID commit. Turns out that Iowa wasn't ready to take his commitment yet. Completely the same thing Brian was taking shots at ISU for.

I'm not saying Iowa was wrong in the "visit" policy. But Brian should have kept his mouth shut about "the guys in Ames" prior to doing the same thing he's taking shots at others for.

Too rich.... lol
Oh my. He/they literally did exactly what he called ISU and Minnesota out for.

Pot meets kettle.

Hawkmi1987

Jun 27, 2016
Newton, Ia
Oh my. He/they literally did exactly what he called ISU and Minnesota out for.

Pot meets kettle.
uswumoy.gif

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

Too rich.... lol

Good luck with that.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017

Too rich.... lol

LIKE I SAID, Iowa did not tell him no, they said we want you to be sure and to visit first then make the decision after that. How is that doing the same thing as ISU? ISU is taking any commit they get and 3 or 4 have not seen the campus. That is risky because it is a higher risk of a de commit.

I think it is funny ISU fans are upset at Brian Ferentz, mostly because they are not used to Iowa saying much about ISU at all and when Iowa does say something, and it is not nice, then you take offense. How does the shoe feel on the other foot? Iowa has been putting up with this crap for years and it is nice to see them defending their role in dominating the state in football.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
LIKE I SAID, Iowa did not tell him no, they said we want you to be sure and to visit first then make the decision after that. How is that doing the same thing as ISU? ISU is taking any commit they get and 3 or 4 have not seen the campus. That is risky because it is a higher risk of a de commit.

I think it is funny ISU fans are upset at Brian Ferentz, mostly because they are not used to Iowa saying much about ISU at all and when Iowa does say something, and it is not nice, then you take offense. How does the shoe feel on the other foot? Iowa has been putting up with this crap for years and it is nice to see them defending their role in dominating the state in football.

No ISU fans are upset at Brian Ferentz, we're making fun of him

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017

It is funny that ISU fans get so bent out of shape over what Brian said. Pollard has been running his mouth (and tweets) and has been a hypocrite for a decade. It is about time #ThoseGuysinIowaCity give it back a little. Remember when Pollard blasted college transfers when McD was being decimated by departures every year?

Help Support Us

Become a patron