Iowa Football Recruiting

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I am slightly amused that the only amount of ammo some fans have on this board is to compare a conference because in a straight up battle for programs. It is not even close and that is what this is about. Big 12 is not a good conference anymore. Baylor and TCU are down and so is Texas. Who is good in the big 12 as compared to the big 10?

Oklahoma? = Wisconsin? maybe Michigan?

Ok State = who? Nebraska?

who else is decent anymore?

ISU, Kansas are = to Rutgers and Purdue and that is being nice because Rutgers and Purdue are better than those 2 programs.

KSU? not that good, WV decent, Texas Tech, not that good, has all of Iowa cast a ways.

You still have MSU, PSU, Iowa, OSU, Maryland, Minnesota, Northwestern, Illinois, Indiana

PSU and MSU are comparable to Baylor and TCU

Hell, TCU is like Iowa now that they are in a power 5 conference and I already proved that with stats.

Big 12 and Big 10 are not on the same level right now. I do not know how you would think otherwise.

3 teams are good in the big 12 right now and not in a downward spin
Oklahoma, OSU, West Virginia

Baylor and TCU need to step up and fix their recent off field struggles

Texas needs to be above 6-6

KSU has Snyder and I love that. BUT he is even running out of momentum with his current condition and age.

Tech, ISU, Kansas are doormats

You intrigued me with this post, so I took a look at wins for each Big 10 and Big 12 program for the past 5 years (I can do more or less if you'd like). I then grouped them into 4 tiers by win total.

Tier 1: Ohio St., OU, Wisky, Baylor, Mich St, OK St.

Tier 2: KSU, Nebby, Michigan, Penn St, TCU, Iowa.

Tier 3: NW, Minnesota, WVU, Texas, Tech, Rutgers (biggest surprise, IMO).

Tier 4: Maryland, Indiana, Illinois, ISU, Purdue, KU.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
g8CJl0epg71MQ.webp

Looks kind of like AL getting run down from behind by JJ.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
How many millions do you think choosing ISU will cost AL? Yikes.
Could it cost him? Potentially yes. But that is hypothetical.

It's a given that going to Iowa over the MLB will cost him potentially millions right now. I didn't say that just because it's Iowa. I said it for anyone. The kid would turning down MLB for college football isn't the smartest decision monetarily.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Wow, Mike Weber listed as the 9th best RB in the Big Ten? When two 1,000 yard rushers can't even crack the Top 8 RBs in the conference, you know that conference has elite talent.

Yeah Wadley doesn't stack up well in his own conference. He's fast but just tiny, reminds me of a poor man's Trevor Ryen

Reactions: ajk4st8

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Could it cost him? Potentially yes. But that is hypothetical.

It's a given that going to Iowa over the MLB will cost him potentially millions right now. I didn't say that just because it's Iowa. I said it for anyone. The kid would turning down MLB for college football isn't the smartest decision monetarily.

You might be right. Similar to turning down Notre Dame and playing with DeShone Kizer to play at ISU with a MLB taking snaps may not have been the smartest decision monetarily.

• Dislike
Reactions: Rural and YeahBuddy

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
This tweet by Bulaga made me think of Downing. Hopefully he didn't make a mistake by going to ISU that ends up costing him these opportunities.

• Dislike
Reactions: Rural

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
Oh man, I visited the Zach Ross thread to see what ISU fans thought of him and it was mostly talk about Iowa. Here Ian the real scoops on Ross and Iowa.

Ross needed to impress the Iowa coaches with a good Sr year, and Iowa has to miss on the rest of its top targets to get an Iowa offer. Not really unheard of for Iowa, they tell recruits this all the time instead of offering them an non committable offer.

• Dislike

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Oh man, I visited the Zach Ross thread to see what ISU fans thought of him and it was mostly talk about Iowa. Here Ian the real scoops on Ross and Iowa.

Ross needed to impress the Iowa coaches with a good Sr year, and Iowa has to miss on the rest of its top targets to get an Iowa offer. Not really unheard of for Iowa, they tell recruits this all the time instead of offering them an non committable offer.
You seem disgruntled.

• Funny

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
You seem disgruntled.

Not at all. Iowa is the best in the country at identifying OL talent. Ross didn't have a good enough Jr year to earn an Iowa offer. If Iowa still has a spot open in Dec and Ross impresses his Sr year he could still get an Iowa offer. If he does get one he will be a Hawk, kind of like Anthony Nelson.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Not claim TCU as a top level offer?

I feel like you didn't read the article. His rankings are based on “prestige and place in the national scene". In other words, it's still heavily about program history. TCU, for instance, doesn't have the long, prestigious history, but has developed into a house-hold name.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
I feel like you didn't read the article. His rankings are based on “prestige and place in the national scene". In other words, it's still heavily about program history. TCU, for instance, doesn't have the long, prestigious history, but has developed into a house-hold name.

Without looking back you claimed they were a top level offer based on tradition. You just described tradition in your above post.

Maybe I am not remembering correctly but I thought you used the term "tradition".

• Dislike

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Without looking back you claimed they were a top level offer based on tradition. You just described tradition in your above post.

Maybe I am not remembering correctly but I thought you used the term "tradition".

Negative Ghost Rider.

Yeah, if you're talking all-time. TCU is a top 25 program in today's college football scene.

• Disagree
Reactions: rholtgraves