CAMPBELL: Complete uniform/image overhaul coming

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
all this talk of 'if this is what it takes to win, i dont care what our jerseys look like' is plain sad. if i were a big time recruit and a coach was trying to win me over by telling me theyd abandon school colors for me, i would question how a school could slap tradition in the face like that. sure it would be awesome to see iowa state win a national championship, but if they won in black uniforms or something ridiculous, i would chalk that up as a missed opportunity. CMC shouldnt have that kind of power, especially this early on. i cant imagine selling a kid on the pride of iowa state and the cardinal & gold, only to have him turn on the tv and see the indecipherably fugly dark grey bush league garbage we pulled last year. if thats the best you can do last-minute to change up our look, whatever. but if CMC is making a conscious decision in advance to move things in this AC/DC direction, thats unfortunate.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
  • Dislike
Reactions: SC Cy and cyence

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
all this talk of 'if this is what it takes to win, i dont care what our jerseys look like' is plain sad. if i were a big time recruit and a coach was trying to win me over by telling me theyd abandon school colors for me, i would question how a school could slap tradition in the face like that. sure it would be awesome to see iowa state win a national championship, but if they won in black uniforms or something ridiculous, i would chalk that up as a missed opportunity. CMC shouldnt have that kind of power, especially this early on. i cant imagine selling a kid on the pride of iowa state and the cardinal & gold, only to have him turn on the tv and see the indecipherably fugly dark grey bush league garbage we pulled last year. if thats the best you can do last-minute to change up our look, whatever. but if CMC is making a conscious decision in advance to move things in this AC/DC direction, thats unfortunate.

I don't think anything was said about abandoning the school colors. If you put a metallic/black uni's in front of a potential recruit, or they try them on.. you're chances of getting them increase. So you wouldn't change up the uniforms to win football games?

Its the changing landscape of football. And if you don't like changing uniforms then I suggest you stop watching college football.

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
I don't think anything was said about abandoning the school colors. If you put a metallic/black uni's in front of a potential recruit, or they try them on.. you're chances of getting them increase. So you wouldn't change up the uniforms to win football games?

Its the changing landscape of football. And if you don't like changing uniforms then I suggest you stop watching college football.

im all about changing it up, i get it. in fact, i love it, which is why ive posted about 50 different uniform concepts on here. i know that these things have an impact on recruits, its real. but if black isnt your school color and you come out in black helmets and black jerseys, that to me is abandoning your school colors. it seems pretty well-accepted that having cool new uniforms makes a difference to these kids, but ive yet to read anything claiming that metallic/black unis is the only way accomplish this or that it increases your chances of getting them by putting on a metallic/black uni in front of them. youre also implying that changing the uniforms affects the outcome of the game. on that one, we will never know the answer, but i would like to think that this program could win just as many games while maintaining the prominence of cardinal and gold.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
im all about changing it up, i get it. in fact, i love it, which is why ive posted about 50 different uniform concepts on here. i know that these things have an impact on recruits, its real. but if black isnt your school color and you come out in black helmets and black jerseys, that to me is abandoning your school colors. it seems pretty well-accepted that having cool new uniforms makes a difference to these kids, but ive yet to read anything claiming that metallic/black unis is the only way accomplish this or that it increases your chances of getting them by putting on a metallic/black uni in front of them. youre also implying that changing the uniforms affects the outcome of the game. on that one, we will never know the answer, but i would like to think that this program could win just as many games while maintaining the prominence of cardinal and gold.

I'm not saying we need to completely throw out our cardinal and gold colors. I agree with you, that would be bad and I don't think they would ever do that. But having alternate uniforms that are black? I have no issue with it and don't see why others are so up in arms over it.

• Agree
Reactions: cyence and CyValley

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I'm not saying we need to completely throw out our cardinal and gold colors. I agree with you, that would be bad and I don't think they would ever do that. But having alternate uniforms that are black? I have no issue with it and don't see why others are so up in arms over it.

Because it makes us look like a hated rival?

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: cyence and JM4CY

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Because it makes us look like a hated rival?

I think that's a weak argument. Obviously I can hear Hok fans already.. "Jeez they just want to look like big brother" blah blah blah.

I'm sure Nike and CMC can design something that doesn't reflect looking like Iowa.

NO ONE WEAR BLACK UNIFORMS, YOU'LL LOOK LIKE IOWA....

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Wouldn't surprise me to see black uniforms as an alternate this year, and IMO the look only works if all color is stripped away. The instant color is introduced, inevitable Iowa comparisons come up.

Not my favorite look, but it's all about the KIDZ these days.

DAnb0IgXYAAQpNE.jpg:small

BTW, for those against black as a color, because it is the color of Iowa, what does that say about ISU sharing a yellow color with Iowa?

I tend to like the traditional colors, but I'm old and boring. However, I find that I am really liking the all-white uniforms, especially with the Jack Trice inspired accents. And I'm surprised, but I actually like the all-black uniforms.

Kagavi is right about not introducing any other color to the black uniforms. Even the chin strap in his model is a distraction.

As for looking like Iowa, they don't own black. As long as it is all-black, it is fine. We have done all-gold before and I don't remember anyone saying anything about that have resemblance to Iowa. Yes, I know it is also one of our primary colors, but no one even made the point of similarity.

I prefer the all-black to the bits of grey/green, but all the players I've talked to say they really liked the grey/green in any combination.

Ultimately, it comes down to what the team wants. I hope the coaches listen to the fans, but don't feel obligated to a few powerful, out-of-touch voices (or even the masses). I want the coaches to do what they want to do. I think they will lead us in a good direction with regard to uniforms, both standard and alternative, as well as entrance music. The last thing I want is a uniform version of Thunderstruck. There is no way that this coaching staff actually wanted Thunderstruck. When this staff has done things their way, such as recruiting, it has gone very well. I want them to make uniform decisions in the same way they handle recruiting. I think they have the pulse of the emerging football generation.

CySanka3

Jan 15, 2014
Chicago
All for black/dark shade of gray, it looks great with cardinal and gold. Had we implemented it 20+ years ago instead of that god awful blue it wouldn't be as big of deal now. Quit giving Iowa the satisfaction that its theirs and only theirs. It was one of our OG colors too, we're grown up and we can do as we please without their approval.

Plus with black apparel means less visible pit stains in the tailgates in August/September.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Has anyone mocked up old ISU uniform sets, replacing old color shades and fonts with the current ones? I'm thinking there would be some real winners in the results.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
CLEARLY we need to be hiring an investigator to follow the money....CW must have asked CMC to say something vague like this to generate clicks. :)

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Here is the game they were referring to against PSU. Is that TT? Nope, Ohio State.....

ncaa-football-penn-state-ohio-state-850x560.jpg
Well at least both of those teams have clearly recognizable logos on those helmets so people watching at home know who it playing without moving their eyes to the bottom or top of the screen to see the score.

:rolleyes:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
  • Winner
Reactions: Redman97