CAMPBELL: Complete uniform/image overhaul coming

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I still think these helmets are easy to read on TV as well. 20/20 vision gets you that I suppose

r960-72450c58f1f9f700bb1ec383277afc72.jpg

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
id hope somebody with common sense and authority would step in before letting something like this ever happen.

Too late. I'm pretty sure the gear has arrived and is off limits until the equipment staff has a chance to tweak it. I'm cool with us using a storm cloud alternate once or twice a season, but damn it I want my yellow helmet please.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Last night at the CR Tailgate tour stop, the last question from the crowd (which wasn't a question, it was a comment) an older gentlemen told Campbell "In this part of the state, if you are a Cyclone, you shouldn't wear black"

Lots of laughter after that comment. However, Campbell (wearing his usual black top with a silver ISU logo) said, at least there isn't any gold with the black. Then, he proceeded to have someone in the front stand up wearing a black ISU hat and black ISU shirt. Campbell said that was the direction they were heading for Uniform templates. Not sure what that means, if it slipped or if I drastically mis-heard him. It caught me off guard being a uniform junkie.

That is just FYI from the session last night. Wonder if we're getting black helmets as the surprise this year? I would be okay with that as long as the logo is stenciled on in a contrasting (not yellow) color. A silver or white ISU stencil logo on a matte black helmet would have potential to look pretty cool with our white or gray jerseys/pants.
Black, I hope not, unless just a very occassional alternate. So many better options.

Last edited:

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
I'm assuming all ages vary on this board and especially this topic. So its not surprising that everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

Myself being 26, think black/metallic looks awesome. If Campbell can pull something off then he should and run with it. The recruits will love it.

personally, im not against black/metallic. im also not against stuff looking awesome. what i am against is when incorporating those things means going away from a look that says 'iowa state.' the pride of school colors used to be a bigger deal apparently. might as well just let the kids pick the color of their letter jackets so they can look on trend. what i really dont understand is people arguing iowa states brand recognition nationally but then clamoring for random colors being incorporated into uniforms in the same breath. i would bet that CMC isnt getting recognized from a distance as being associated with iowa state by wearing black and silver. but hey, i bet the 'kids' think he looks super edgy!

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
Black, I hope not, unless just a very occassional alternate. Don't worry, I won't be doing any black mock-ups. OK, guess we'll just have to wait and see. So many better options.

tnoah, i hope you do whatever the hell you want. if you enjoy it, dont let a few people discourage you.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Someone explain to me why it matters that our logo is easy to read on tv. I assume that people are talking about non-close up shots.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Namebrand recognition.

But you know what works even better than having the logo on a helmet?

View attachment 48025

That's exactly my point. Even if we're not playing at home, there are constantly close-ups and graphics posted during the game. The logo is clearly seen multiple times a game. I've never once thought that there's an issue with readability of the logo on our helmets due to coloring, style, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Someone explain to me why it matters that our logo is easy to read on tv. I assume that people are talking about non-close up shots.
The TV thing is an example. If we didn't think logos mattered we wouldn't have one. But if we're going to have one it should be easily recognizable or understood. The red I on the red helmet makes it indistinguishable and the state isn't big enough to be recognizable. The Earle Bruce I is much better in this way; The big red I was obvious on the yellow helmet and while the white I S U inside the I was basically hidden it didn't "fight with" the block I for space. Obviousness, readability is key.

Redman97

Jul 31, 2011
Iowa City
t-shirt.jpg
I need one of these t-shirts. CampusTown has similar ones available: yellow shirt with red graphic and gray shirt with dark gray/white graphic.

Anyone know where I can get one like in the photo? Thanks.

Last edited: