The Prohm Effect

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I can't pinpoint how he does it, but his ability as a coach is clear in the results. We compete better possession by possession as well as since that 2000-01 team. He seems very balanced in his approach- find a way to win.

Matt Thomas said this isn't as talented of a team as we've had recently, but yet the results are arguably better. This year we didn't rely on so many huge comebacks, in the tournament or the regular season, despite losing guys from the 2014 and 2015 like Kane, Ejim, Hogue, Nader, BDJ, McKay, and Georges and only adding Burton as a major plug and play guy.

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
The way this team has closed out the season, leading by 10+ points the whole second half, the complete opposite of Hoiball. Both are exciting to watch but its easier on my heart when we are up by 10 the whole game rather than coming from behind.

I still don't quite understand why it took so long to get a rotation that worked this year, but now that they have found it, this team i looking better than any team since possibly the 99-00 team. And they aren't burnt out like that 99-00, and 00-01 teams were by March

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
The way this team has closed out the season, leading by 10+ points the whole second half, the complete opposite of Hoiball. Both are exciting to watch but its easier on my heart when we are up by 10 the whole game rather than coming from behind.

I still don't quite understand why it took so long to get a rotation that worked this year, but now that they have found it, this team i looking better than any team since possibly the 99-00 team. And they aren't burnt out like that 99-00, and 00-01 teams were by March
They were totally Hioballing the 'neers. We spread them out and then dribble penetrate, with options to kick out. Beating them so bad they had to resort to their junk zone which they figured out eventually as well.

This is the best hybrid of Hoiball. We run, we space the floor and with Monte and Burton able to run the half court as well. Mix in some above average defense and we got Prohmball.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Prohm doesn't force players to buy in. He allows them to figure out that they want and need to buy in.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
I can't pinpoint how he does it, but his ability as a coach is clear in the results. We compete better possession by possession as well as since that 2000-01 team. He seems very balanced in his approach- find a way to win.

Matt Thomas said this isn't as talented of a team as we've had recently, but yet the results are arguably better. This year we didn't rely on so many huge comebacks, in the tournament or the regular season, despite losing guys from the 2014 and 2015 like Kane, Ejim, Hogue, Nader, BDJ, McKay, and Georges and only adding Burton as a major plug and play guy.

Beyond offense, Prohm coaches good defense that was lacking in the past. Not so magical but this old schooler named Prohm gets it.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

A number of reasons I think, but here's a couple:

1) Prior to February, they didn't appreciate that they needed to play hard every possession, every night. That's easy to say and really really hard to do. They can see the end and are hungry now, especially a guy like Bowie.

2) Solomon Young. We've seen it with the best players here, like Monte and Georges. The light comes on mid-way through the freshman year and it reaches a point where you can't keep them off the floor any longer. Young figured out his role and embraced it. He doesn't need to score or rebound, he needs to be physical, defend and box out. And he's been doing it brilliantly. The fact that the team is 14-1 when he plays 15 minutes or more, and 9-9 when he doesn't says it all.

3) They've really embraced their roles, especially Burton and Bowie. They aren't trying to do too much, and they are really letting Monte run the show, but Burton especially is picking his spots to go "beast mode" beautifully

4) As Chris said yesterday - Naz is perhaps the best emotional leader ISU has ever seen.

5) Monte Morris is the best Point Guard in the country, one of the best in NCAA history and in a tight four-way race with Grayer, Hoiberg and Niang for best ISU MBB player in team history. That's worth a lot in March.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I'll add that I can't wait to see how Prohm molds guards Wigginton, McNeil, and Lewis when getting them from Day 1. I also have a feeling that he has big things in mind for Babb. He has too much ability to be a wallflower. Does/can Prohm turn him into his next great pg?

Reactions: LindenCy

cyfamily

Mar 19, 2015
One trait I love about Coach Prohm is how selfless he is. If you want your team to be selfless, their leader has to be selfless. He always gives credit for any success to others, and I've seen this from our players too.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'll add that I can't wait to see how Prohm molds guards Wigginton, McNeil, and Lewis when getting them from Day 1. I also have a feeling that he has big things in mind for Babb. He has too much ability to be a wallflower. Does/can Prohm turn him into his next great pg?

IMO, Wigginton is the "next great Prohm PG". Prohm likes his PGs to score.

NWB strikes me as the ultimate no-mistake "glue guy". He can guard any positions on the floor, and makes everybody else better. His aggressiveness on offense yesterday was awesome, and will be much needed next year.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
How can you not like Prohm? I'm not sure exactly what I said when he was hired other than I liked it, but he is the kind of coach you want to succeed. And dare I say...he does it the right way: caring for players and molding men.

I think it's time to say this loud and clear: Jamie Pollard has a tremendous track record of picking picking coaches. Not perfect, but close. Campbell and Prohm are complete home run hires.

mikedp

Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
One trait I love about Coach Prohm is how selfless he is. If you want your team to be selfless, their leader has to be selfless. He always gives credit for any success to others, and I've seen this from our players too.

Proof in this was during presentation of CHAMPIONSHIP trophy, players on the stage while Coach in the back off stage letting team enjoy their Moment! A humbled selfless man of character, that's Coach Prohm

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
IMO, Wigginton is the "next great Prohm PG". Prohm likes his PGs to score.

NWB strikes me as the ultimate no-mistake "glue guy". He can guard any positions on the floor, and makes everybody else better. His aggressiveness on offense yesterday was awesome, and will be much needed next year.
You don't think Babb can be a scorer?

We'll see, but I don't think Wigginton will be the pg next year. With the 4 guys we have, maybe we won't have one!

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
How can you not like Prohm? I'm not sure exactly what I said when he was hired other than I liked it, but he is the kind of coach you want to succeed. And dare I say...he does it the right way: caring for players and molding men.

Looks like this was my first reply in the new coach announcement thread: http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/thr...su-mbb-head-coach.204850/page-37#post-4672103

Some fun reading there. :)

And I forgot that Chris was starting a new coaching search thread every day. Seems so long ago.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Looks like this was my first reply in the new coach announcement thread: http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/thr...su-mbb-head-coach.204850/page-37#post-4672103

Some fun reading there. :)

And I forgot that Chris was starting a new coaching search thread every day. Seems so long ago.

This is an awesome read, and a reminder we have nervous nellies and people easily led around by their noses by bad info on CF at all times. I especially loved this one quote from poster Rotating Column:

Prohm Hired As ISU MBB Head Coach

I think he'd like how things turned out!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron