DISHWASHER RECOMMENDATIONS

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
We had a Bosch and now in our new house we have a kitchenaid. The Bosch was better at getting everything clean , the kitchaid some times has trouble and we end up washing it by hand since it goes through its heat cycle to dry. The Kitchaid drys everything way better though. Both of them were like in the $700-800 range type of dishwashers. I know my wife wishes she had the Bosch one back.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Bosch. Long time user. Very quiet, cleans the tough stuff. Replaced the first one after 15 years (changed to SS appliances was the only reason. The new Bosch is even quieter. No repairs.

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
attachment.php

Inefficient. Not wearing rubber gloves. Probably does not do a good job of cleaning - leaves spots on dishes. Hard to get parts. Had a consistent whine during testing. Not recommended.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Don't cheap out, buy a Bosch.

You won't regret it if you have a somewhat open floor plan.

This. I got a Kitchen Aid to match the rest of the kitchen appliances and it has been "okay" but over the years has gotten nosier. With my open plan layout I do find myself wishing I had opted for the Bosch.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I just bought an installed a Whirlpool Gold Series. It replaced a frigidaire POS that sounded like a marching band in the kitchen. In all the brands, you can buy based on dB. I think the new Whirlpool was a 48. What a huge difference.

Also, someone recommended the stainless on the inside too. We went with that and it makes a big difference. You don't get that blue build up on the plastic on the inside. The stainless cleans right up.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Just about any newer dishwasher is probably going to be "quiet". Don't spend a ton more money for 10-15 rated decibels. We almost made that mistake and I am so glad we didn't spend a whole bunch more when are cheaper unit is plenty quiet.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Just about any newer dishwasher is probably going to be "quiet". Don't spend a ton more money for 10-15 rated decibels. We almost made that mistake and I am so glad we didn't spend a whole bunch more when are cheaper unit is plenty quiet.

Say you get 10 years out of your dishwasher, and run it almost everyday like we do, I'd say 10-15 dB is incredibly worth the extra price you will pay. It's only a matter of a couple hundred bucks too, not like a Camry vs a Corvette.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
We bought a Whirlpool 3 years ago, can't complain to much about it. Cleans very good, only thing I rinse before putting it in is peanut butter. Drying is okay. Probably a little louder than a Bosch which was our other option. But wife wants a new kitchen in a few years so we weren't paying premium for Bosch, and stainless exterior when the rest of our appliances for now are white.

It all depends on the budget. We have had good luck with the Whirlpool.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
We got a Kitchen-aid in our new house and have not had any problems with it. Very quiet. The wife decided to go with the Kitchen-aid because the Bosch did not have the heated dry.

We did a ton of research on appliances before we bought them. Bosch, Kitchen-aid, and Kenmore(made by Kitchen-aid for Sears) are the top 3 brands. Basically stay away from names like Samsung, LG, and Whirlpool when buying a dishwasher. They don't have nearly the same quality as their refrigerators/stoves.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Say you get 10 years out of your dishwasher, and run it almost everyday like we do, I'd say 10-15 dB is incredibly worth the extra price you will pay. It's only a matter of a couple hundred bucks too, not like a Camry vs a Corvette.

To each their own. My newer dishwasher is incredibly quiet compared to my old one that was ridiculously loud. I have to lean my head down to it and stop conversation if I want to see if it is running without looking at the indicator lights. I can't imagine spending "a couple hundred bucks" to get a dishwasher that is quieter than a unit that I can't hear anyway.

The real noise problem* in my house is the water softener that sounds like I have a 8" steam pipe running through my house when it regenerates at oh-dark-thirty once a fortnight. It is in the basement and if I wake up I can hear it in my second story bedroom.

*well, besides the kids.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I spec appliances for apartments we're renovating or homes we're building every few weeks. #1 Miele, but they are spendy. Coming in at a very close 2nd is Bosch. Personally, I own a bosch. Pretty cool as it is integrated with a concealed panel, and it shoots the time left in the cycle on the floor.

Note that in 12 years of specifying Miele for every dishwasher, I've never once had a complaint about them. They are rock solid.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Love the Bosch but when I went into the store and looked at the racks they sucked. It was probably just the model I was looking at but it was like the spacing was all jacked up on the racks.
Went with a higher end kitchenaid from lowes which was still cheaper. Have been happy with it. going on 1 year.
Good luck!

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
We got a Bosch a few years ago when we expanded our kitchen. I got all new applicances and some are better than others. Here's what I've learned about our Bosch dishwasher:

• The tines on the top shelf are not angled correctly to keep our bowls upright. Read someplace (well after buying ours) that they're designed for European households, dishes, etc. and that might be why our bowls always fall forward. Next time I need to buy a dishwasher, I'm taking plates, bowls, glasses and cups with me, and trying out the racks and tines. Don't trust your memory.
  • Our model does not actually make sure everything is dry. It's an energy efficiency thing, and for the most part it's fine. Just something I didn't realize was different, so it took some getting used to.
  • Only Finish Quantum detergent works to clean everything and leave no water marks or film. Yes, you need to use a rinse agent, but I went through far too many brands of detergent figuring out why the rinse aid didn't keep my clear glass items clear.
  • I wish there was a rinse-only option.
  • It is quiet, but the cycles seem longer and you can't set a certain time, only a certain type of cycle.
  • Remember to periodically clean out the drain in the bottom, more often if you leave lots of food on your dishes. Ours simply unscrews, then you rinse that plastic drain piece and screw it back in.
  • Even when you clean the dishwasher (again, periodically, not often) you still need to manually clean the inside/sides of the door. Ignore them and it'll be disgusting eventually.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

If you remember to run it when you'll be gone or at least not nearby, I'm not sure the quietness matters as much, though.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If you remember to run it when you'll be gone or at least not nearby, I'm not sure the quietness matters as much, though.

Mine has a four hour delay option so I can finish filling it at dinner time and it will run after we all go to bed. No forgetting to run it when we go to bed like the old one. That delay also helps it to run off peak load for the power grid.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Mine has a four hour delay option so I can finish filling it at dinner time and it will run after we all go to bed. No forgetting to run it when we go to bed like the old one. That delay also helps it to run off peak load for the power grid.
We use the 4 hour delay all the time with ours, as well. That is a great feature.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

attachment.php

Our actual dishwasher is just a cheap Frigidaire, and it cleans surprisingly well. It is pretty loud, so i usually try to start it when we're leaving or going to bed. We'll upgrade eventually, but it does make me worry when people pay twice as much as what ours is worth & theirs cleans worse than our cheapo does.

Attachments

• a6cd0c69-5fb6-6d0f.jpg
    a6cd0c69-5fb6-6d0f.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 174

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron