ROSENFELS: "WE will get this back on track"

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
I agree with Sage 100%. Im assuming he knows that it wont be done with CPR, but he wont write that. Point is, for the people who think it cant be done at ISU, you need to understand that it can with the right leadership. All ISU needs to do is find that leadership.
I was waiting for a flight wearing an ISU jacket in the Omaha airport and Sage came up and introduced himself to me. We had a very candid 30 minute conversation on ISU athletics in general. Saying that he knows it won't be done with CPR is putting it lightly.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
I was waiting for a flight wearing an ISU jacket in the Omaha airport and Sage came up and introduced himself to me. We had a very candid 30 minute conversation on ISU athletics in general. Saying that he knows it won't be done with CPR is putting it lightly.
To be a fly on the wall for that conversation...

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Yeah...he was pretty much eluded to it on Twitter without actually saying it.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I think ISU will eventually get the right coach who will come here and go like 8-5 or 9-4 at least once, but I do think that coach is likely to head up for a top job and we'd get to start over shortly after. Sustained success to lift the program's profile is more unlikely.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I think ISU will eventually get the right coach who will come here and go like 8-5 or 9-4 at least once, but I do think that coach is likely to head up for a top job and we'd get to start over shortly after. Sustained success to lift the program's profile is more unlikely.
That is much better than the current flagellation.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Look what Urban Meyer did for Utah. Id take that in a second.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010

Fair point, but a coach coming in after a 9-4 season would be "starting over" from a higher plateau would he not? I don't see what's wrong with this approach. This school needs help hiring the right coach when it's time to do so. Too many wrong decisions over the years.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Look what Urban Meyer did for Utah. Id take that in a second.

Me too but easier said than done. Finding an Urban Meyer is hard but not impossible, but finding a Kyle Whittingham that will stick around is more difficult.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Me too but easier said than done. Finding an Urban Meyer is hard but not impossible, but finding a Kyle Whittingham that will stick around is more difficult.

You just need one guy to come in and turn it around. Look what Briles has done for Baylor in the last 3-4 years. If he were to leave after this season, there would be coaches knocking down the door to coach Baylor, and they wouldn't skip a beat. You just need one guy to step in and take the program to a new level, and when the time come to replace that guy, you need to do so with a guy who can keep the ship a float.

thrillcat

Nov 27, 2006
Ames

The key will be to have an AD that is willing to make the investment to continue the path once that happens, or a University President who will kick the AD in the *** and make him do it.

It has to be a commitment to improvement by the athletic department, and that commitment will more than likely involve more than one head coach. We need to be willing to let coaches use ISU as a stepping stone, and we need to follow up, use that improvement, and hire a better coach the next time to take us to the next level. Eventually, perhaps, if we're lucky and the path is followed, this could become a destination job for the right coach. I also don't care if we have a new coach every 2-4 years, as long as we keep bringing in quality coaches.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Sage positioning himself for a coaching gig???

Could he prepare a team and call a game any worse than the current incumbents? He was around a lot of NFL meeting rooms for a bunch of different franchises. My guess is he had a lot of time to observe what works and what doesn't. Is he Head Coach material? Probably not, but some people dismiss him too easily IMO.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The key will be to have an AD that is willing to make the investment to continue the path once that happens, or a University President who will kick the AD in the *** and make him do it.

It has to be a commitment to improvement by the athletic department, and that commitment will more than likely involve more than one head coach. We need to be willing to let coaches use ISU as a stepping stone, and we need to follow up, use that improvement, and hire a better coach the next time to take us to the next level. Eventually, perhaps, if we're lucky and the path is followed, this could become a destination job for the right coach. I also don't care if we have a new coach every 2-4 years, as long as we keep bringing in quality coaches.

Unless changes are made in the off season, I would expect lots of empty seats in the SEZ.