TCU fan attendance

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I will add, watching on the teevee machine, I laughed every time they showed a sideline crowd shot, it was ISU fans. I swear the stadium had ISU fans packing the first two rows all the way around.

beatiowa

Dec 21, 2008
Berkeley, CA
It was their fall break, it was cold (for Texas), and let's be honest—it's not like opposing fans circle their calendars for the Iowa State game.

That being said, props to the ISU fans at the game! It seemed like we got way more air time (probably because TCU was losing and cold and never smiling when they *were* on camera), and our fans' attendance looked great.

Reactions: cyfanatic

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
It was their fall break, it was cold (for Texas), and let's be honest—it's not like opposing fans circle their calendars for the Iowa State game.

That being said, props to the ISU fans at the game! It seemed like we got way more air time (probably because TCU was losing and cold and never smiling when they *were* on camera), and our fans' attendance looked great.

this. im sure most of them couldnt have cared less about playing ISU and would rather go home for their fall break instead.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Schools like Baylor and TCU fall back on this all the time when they have **** attendance when they play us, but really, all it means (especially for Baylor) is that their stadium isn't half full of opposing fans from the local team they're playing.

Look at us and Iowa. We'll draw the same for directional schools as we will for a marquee match up. Opponent doesn't dictate attendance much for a good fan base.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
TCU is a small sports entertainment package in the Dallas/FT.Worth metro option. Low enrollment. Perceived unattractive opponent. Possible Fall student break. Which all adds up to: if you think they are a comparable replacement for Texas A & M you are not paying attention. They were in the Mountain West for a reason.

If you want to be surprised by a schools success and attendance look up University of Miami's enrollment.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Schools like Baylor and TCU fall back on this all the time when they have **** attendance when they play us, but really, all it means (especially for Baylor) is that their stadium isn't half full of opposing fans from the local team they're playing.

Look at us and Iowa. We'll draw the same for directional schools as we will for a marquee match up. Opponent doesn't dictate attendance much for a good fan base.

Yes, this is exactly how I feel.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I guess their is just something about poor attendance and certain private schools. Look at Baylor, TCU, and Northwestern.

And Northwestern even lets their students in to football and basketball games for free. So they really have no excuse.

Well, "free" in addition to the $60,000 + you're paying per year to attend, so there's that.

(Northwestern is a fantastic campus, BTW ... I took both my kids on campus visits there, and I wanted to enroll. Would have had to win the Powerball first, but still ...)

Last edited:

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa

Don't forget that it was not to long ago that we had the same problems. I am happy things have taken a turn for the better. Back when the SEZ was proposed when Gene Smith was here and I was a freshman going to my first games attendance was not that great. It is nice to actually finally need something done in the SEZ.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
what about the argument, "the south is the greatest football area in the nation. we live for football. we would go watch two crappy teams play just to watch some HITTING. YEAH FOOTBALLLLLLL!!!!!" ...?

a little cold weather and they no likey football anymore.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

Bingo, this team won a Rose Bowl 2 years ago, was undefeated, and ranked #15 in the country. If they can't fill the stadium now how are they going to fill it when this team is finishing the season with a .500 record? With such small fan support I think they will regret the move to the big 12.

To bad for them but another team ISU needs to put in the rear view mirror to move up in the conference.

ZombieCyclone

Sep 4, 2010
I was at the game. When I got my tickets they were 35 dollars on stubhub and these were some of the cheaper ones available 2 weeks before the game. Take into account we lose like we did against TT, then their QB got a dui, and it got cold (just this weekend I may add, I live in Dallas). Days before the game I checked stubhub and there were 7 - 20 dollar tickets in abundance.........

A nice TCU fan started talking to me and my girlfriend when I was on one of the buses going to the game. We were the only ones wearing cyclone gear on the free ride bus from the Mckinney Bible Church. The nice fan said he had a guy from Iowa in his firehouse (fireman, not restaurant) and asked where I was sitting. He gave me some free other tickets that he thought might be better in the upper deck more towards the middle. It was nice of him but I sat in the endzone in section 116 with the other cyclone fans. Lots of empty seats there Saturday.......

This game could have been much different if TCU didn't turn it over 2 times within the 10 yard line. The score was 20-23 at one point and that was without their running backs and QB. I don't think they'd be that over rated if they had their players.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
What I wanna know is what the hell is a "Fall break"?? I never got one of those at ISU unless you consider Thanksgiving week as that. Who gets a Fall break in college???

MAcFroggy

Sep 10, 2012
Good game, Cyclones. Yeah, our attendance was pretty lackluster on Saturday. Lots of tickets sold but did not look full. One of the main problems we had this week (I know, I know there is always an excuse) was the student's were on fall break. The student section officially runs from endzone to the 20 yard line on the lower level, so with all the students gone there was a huge gaping hole on the lower level right in the camera shot. The indoor club that opened at the beginning of this season, has been an awesome way for the athletic department to make money, but it has been terrible for attendance. All of the people complain that it is too hot or too cold, so they just stayed in the box all last week. I was in there, and you could hardly move around. Anyway, no really good excuse from our fans. I think the Casey Pachall situation and the weather took some air out of the fans this week.

Hope you guys had fun this weekend. I was tailgating down by the tennis courts and it looked like there was a huge ISU alumni association tailgate. I had a great time talking with cyclone fans and playing some tailgating games with them. There were a lot more ISU fans than I was expecting. I assume you have a pretty large alumni association in DFW, and a lot of those fans were probably really excited for a close game. Good luck the rest of the way; especially against Texas and Baylor.

Reactions: oldman

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
What I wanna know is what the hell is a "Fall break"?? I never got one of those at ISU unless you consider Thanksgiving week as that. Who gets a Fall break in college???

There are a few schools that do this but it seems kinda dumb because those same schools get a shorter Thanksgiving break.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames

I think that also may have to do with Iowa not having a professional team. But I still agree with the point that we have great fan bases in Iowa.

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
It was their first ever Big 12 home game, something they have wanted for a long time. If it was my team I would have been there in a blizzard.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Bingo, this team won a Rose Bowl 2 years ago, was undefeated, and ranked #15 in the country. If they can't fill the stadium now how are they going to fill it when this team is finishing the season with a .500 record? With such small fan support I think they will regret the move to the big 12.

To bad for them but another team ISU needs to put in the rear view mirror to move up in the conference.

Pretty much this. For a school with a small, fair weather fan base, moving to the Big 12 could be pretty dangerous. They get kicked around for a couple of seasons and all of a sudden the program loses momentum. It would be a great thing for us if TCU became a bottom feeder. There aren't very many easy wins in this league (KU is probably the only one this year), it would be great to have another.

BeachCyclone

Jan 22, 2012
Manhattan Beach, CA
I'd agree with many of the comments, but would particularly agree with MAcFroggy about people staying indoors. My friends at TCU sat outside only for a while, and retreated to the lounge behind the club seats afterwards.

Us tough Californians stuck it out with the rest of the Cyclone fans braving the elements.

Blizzard? -- ok, maybe not.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Dear TCU: I was there, and that was perfect football weather.

Put on a sweatshirt and grow a pair.

Reactions: cyhiphopp