TCU fan attendance

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Here's the thing, and it applies to ISU as well as TCU.

If you want to be considered "Big Time" as a fanbase, you have to show up. I understand TCU is not a big school but they have a decent fanbase built up. They are going to need to figure out that you can't just show up for big games and expect respect as a fan base.

ISU used to do whit all the time. We would show up early in the year for the Iowa game, or Nebraska, but at the end of the season, even if the Big12 North was on the line, the fanbase would shrivel.

If ISU had the longest winning streak in the nation, ranked #15 in their conference home opener, you would have to cram into the hillsides to see that bad boy.

Case in point. Last season, ISU hosting undefeated #2 Oky State. ISU was just trying to get to 6 wins, with top ten OSU, OU, and KSU left on the schedule. It didn't look good. OSU could have beatedn ISU by 50. A lot of students were gone for break. Luckily it was a really warm November game. The place wasn't sold out, but it was full and loud. It got louder throughout the game as well.

TCU was still in the game until the 4th quarter and on TV you could see huge swaths of open seats in their end zone.

If you compare the Tulsa game to this TCU game as far as fan attendence, it would be tough to guess which team was #15.

TCUs stadium will probably only be really packed for games against Texas teams or ranked teams.

You are at the big boy table now. Step up.

Nov 6, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
There are a few schools that do this but it seems kinda dumb because those same schools get a shorter Thanksgiving break.

Here at Virginia Tech, we have class on Labor Day, but then get this Friday off for Fall Break. Still get a full week for Thanksgiving. At first, I hated the idea, but it has grown on me.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
The attendance makes me question adding TCU to the conference. Are they really big time? West Virginia is showing up!

Hindsight is 20/20 but maybe Louisville would have been a better fit...

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Case in point. Last season, ISU hosting undefeated #2 Oky State. ISU was just trying to get to 6 wins, with top ten OSU, OU, and KSU left on the schedule. It didn't look good. OSU could have beatedn ISU by 50. A lot of students were gone for break. Luckily it was a really warm November game. The place wasn't sold out, but it was full and loud. It got louder throughout the game as well.

Better clarify that. It was warm for a November night game in Iowa. It was still much, much, much colder than Fort Worth on Saturday.

MAcFroggy

Sep 10, 2012
I mean maybe the physical attendance was not as good as expected, but TCU sold out the UVA, KSU, OU, and TT game. UVA and Grambling were over official capacity and I anticipate all the other games will be as well. So for the season we will have attendance over 100% capacity; I think that is pretty good. Now the only thing TCU has to figure out is getting people to stay at the game and be loud. We need to find a way to create some sort of home field advantage.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
I mean maybe the physical attendance was not as good as expected, but TCU sold out the UVA, KSU, OU, and TT game. UVA and Grambling were over official capacity and I anticipate all the other games will be as well. So for the season we will have attendance over 100% capacity; I think that is pretty good. Now the only thing TCU has to figure out is getting people to stay at the game and be loud. We need to find a way to create some sort of home field advantage.

Renovations looked sweet....

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I kind of wonder if the renovations make it look more empty than it is. With newer stuff, they seem to make the seats bigger and put more room between rows.

NotJustMagic

Mar 16, 2009
Central Iowa
to be fair, ISU was pretty much giving away the tickets for the OSU game last year. Any college student, not just of ISU, got tix for 5 buks and they had other specials going on. It brought a lot more people their then you might think. Though I think it would have been a pretty decent crowd regardless, but ISU is doing what it needs to. Get people in and exciting things can happen. As the program builds, so does the attendance and vice versa.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Those who were there, what did you think of their endzone configuration? Is that where the indoor club was? The end zone section looked rather interesting architecturally, but didn't seem to have very many seats.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

That will help. On TV it looked like your stadium has seats pretty close to the field and a nice enclosed layout to keep sound in if people are willing to get loud. I watched the cyclones.com higlights from field level and it seemed like the ISU section was louder on big ISU plays than the TCU crowd was. That's not good.

Don't get me wrong. ISU isn't perfect either. We are selling a decent amount of seats finally, but they aren't always full either and sometimes the crowd has trouble getting "into it" for the whole game.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
what about the argument, "the south is the greatest football area in the nation. we live for football. we would go watch two crappy teams play just to watch some HITTING. YEAH FOOTBALLLLLLL!!!!!" ...?

a little cold weather and they no likey football anymore.

Texas isn't the South. Texas is Texas.

HornyFrog

Oct 8, 2012
Texas
It was fall break for students. The only reason ISU fans were in the student section is because they were not checking IDs for this game.

To clarify our seating, we sold 35,000 season tickets. Admins decided when we reseated that every account could purchase an additional 4 seats. So if you had 4 you could buy 8. Many people did this and either don't use the tickets or try to sell. This is why there were empties plus whoever wanted to get closer by sitting in the student section.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
to be fair, ISU was pretty much giving away the tickets for the OSU game last year. Any college student, not just of ISU, got tix for 5 buks and they had other specials going on. It brought a lot more people their then you might think. Though I think it would have been a pretty decent crowd regardless, but ISU is doing what it needs to. Get people in and exciting things can happen. As the program builds, so does the attendance and vice versa.

Except that we had a**** in seats.

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
If you think they are a comparable replacement for Texas A & M you are not paying attention.

Did anybody think they were a 1:1 replacement? Realistically, I never did. They were added to chip away and be a "growth project." TCU seems to have the foundation to be a big player in DFW in 10 years, but not right away. A&M is going to have a strong foothold there for the conceivable future, and probably forever.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
It was a very nice stadium. I was wondering if they ever show other game scores there? We didn't see any scrolling there.

We were all ******** about this too! I got out of the game and was looking at emails and one of my company's owners, who is a big time Auburn donor, was lamenting how he wished they had Rhoads still in one email. Then in the next said that their next coach is going to be the beneficiary of a hell of a job Chizik has done recruiting. Then I looked up the days scores to see how badly they got stomped! It would have been nice to hear/see some other scores from around the Top 25 and Big 12!

ZombieCyclone

Sep 4, 2010
We were all ******** about this too! I got out of the game and was looking at emails and one of my company's owners, who is a big time Auburn donor, was lamenting how he wished they had Rhoads still in one email. Then in the next said that their next coach is going to be the beneficiary of a hell of a job Chizik has done recruiting. Then I looked up the days scores to see how badly they got stomped! It would have been nice to hear/see some other scores from around the Top 25 and Big 12!

I used my Samsung Galaxy S III smart phone with ESPN app..... but yes, I was looking around at first and it would have been nice if they would have scrolled some scores on those ad banner boards along inside of the end zones.

Help Support Us

Become a patron