College Football HOF...Troy Davis?

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
TD should be a 1st ballot HoFer. Amazing yardage, crappy team, crappy coach who was REALLY slow to notice his talent. The "Yeah but he got his yards in garbage time" is total BS. Yep, he got yards against backups, but he was also the ONLY option against the starters, too. Dude was a horse.

When Weurfful won the Heisman, I remember that EVERY voting region in the US went for TD except (surprise!) the southeast. Must be about 100,000 Heisman voters in Florida. Once again, Florida voters effing it up for the rest of the country.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Troy Davis is among my earliest ISU FB memories. And my first experience to how ISU tends to get screwed in things. :laugh:

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
crappy coach who was REALLY slow to notice his talent.

If you mean Jim Walden in 1994 who only played Davis enough to **** him out of a redshirt and another year of eligibility, then yes.

But McCarney sure wasn't slow to notice Davis' talent.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
His NFL years were mired in a dark era at New Orleans but he found success in the CFL culminating in a Grey Cup Championship ring at Edmonton.

This. He was drafted into the failed Ditka era in New Orleans where they had arguably the worst offensive line in the NFL. Then Ricky Williams was drafted and Troy never really got a shot. Too bad.

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
TD should be a 1st ballot HoFer. Amazing yardage, crappy team, crappy coach who was REALLY slow to notice his talent. The "Yeah but he got his yards in garbage time" is total BS. Yep, he got yards against backups, but he was also the ONLY option against the starters, too. Dude was a horse.

When Weurfful won the Heisman, I remember that EVERY voting region in the US went for TD except (surprise!) the southeast. Must be about 100,000 Heisman voters in Florida. Once again, Florida voters effing it up for the rest of the country.

If you mean Jim Walden in 1994 who only played Davis enough to **** him out of a redshirt and another year of eligibility, then yes.

But McCarney sure wasn't slow to notice Davis' talent.
Statements like this make you sound as ignorant as the people who won't vote for TD to get into the HOF. Troy spent all preseason practices in street clothes due to not clearing the NCAA clearinghouse. I think his first practice may have been the week of our first or 2nd game. Troy isn't a guy who learns things by watching so it took him a while to even start to pick up the offense. Troy left after his JR year so he wasn't screwed out of anything. Jim Walden did the best anyone could do for ISU and ISU football under the circumstances. He recruited TD, got him on campus and then was not allowed even let him practice until it was nearly too late to use him.

SpunOut

Jun 5, 2007
Yes, he's the only back to rush for 2,000 yards in a season.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure he is the only running back in NCAA history to have run for over 2,000 yards in two consecutive seasons and NOT win the heisman trophy.

Danger

Apr 11, 2006
There has been some talk of him returning to ISU to get his degree. I hope it happens for both ISU and him.

Had a visit with someone in the AD marketing group awhile back about why the #28 jersey had never been retired for Davis(es). No explanation for that but she said they tried to have Troy do a promo last year like the Seneca commercial. It was all lined up with the U of M to help out but it just never happened. Her recollection was that Troy was living back home with his parents and working at Home Depot.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Is it just basketball where you have to graduate to get your number retired? Or is that the case for football too?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If Eric Crouch and Tommie Frazier can't get in then TD is going to have a tough go of it. It doesn't help that he didn't play for great teams.

If Tommie Frazier can't get in then the hall of fame has no significance at all. Might as well start a Tommie Frazier hall of fame that would be just as legitimate. I hate all things Huskers but he was player of the decade. I actually found myself...yuck...cheering for him at times.

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
Statements like this make you sound as ignorant as the people who won't vote for TD to get into the HOF. Troy spent all preseason practices in street clothes due to not clearing the NCAA clearinghouse. I think his first practice may have been the week of our first or 2nd game. Troy isn't a guy who learns things by watching so it took him a while to even start to pick up the offense. Troy left after his JR year so he wasn't screwed out of anything. Jim Walden did the best anyone could do for ISU and ISU football under the circumstances. He recruited TD, got him on campus and then was not allowed even let him practice until it was nearly too late to use him.

Not true. Jimmy botched a lot of the red tape that he was supposed to navigate. I knew a manager on the team at the time, and he said Walden couldn't care less about TD so let the paperwork slide. Never saw him cracking the 2-deep.

Nice attempt at flaming, though.

Help Support Us

Become a patron