College Football HOF...Troy Davis?

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
He was a two-time Heisman finalist, the first D1 player to rush for over 2,000 yards in back-to-back seasons, and a two-time All-American. I know it's not but shouldn't he be a shoo-in for the College Football Hall of Fame?

Last edited:

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
He was a two-time Heisman finalist, the first D1 player to rush for over 2,000 yards in back-to-back seasons, and a two-time All-American. I know it's not but shouldn't he be a shoe-in for the College Football Hall of Fame?

He isn't a shoo-in because the prevailing (and dumb) opinion is that 1,999 of those 2,000+ yards each season were gained in the final 30 seconds of every game, and that ISU was already losing 177-3 at that point.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
If Eric Crouch and Tommie Frazier can't get in then TD is going to have a tough go of it. It doesn't help that he didn't play for great teams.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Unfortunately I think if he would have had a solid NFL career it would have kept his name more around in the media.

Apr 19, 2006
He was a two-time Heisman finalist, the first D1 player to rush for over 2,000 yards in back-to-back seasons, and a two-time All-American. I know it's not but shouldn't he be a shoo-in for the College Football Hall of Fame?

I'm just curious does anybody know what he is up to these days?

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
I'm just curious does anybody know what he is up to these days?

About 5' 7". Same as before.

RimshotBadumtsh.jpg

Reactions: CYCLNST8

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006

I believe he will ultimately be inducted into the CFB HOF...however, it seems that it takes a while for guys to be inducted for some reason...not sure why that is...maybe the rules.

At any rate...look at a guy like Marcus Allen...played in the late 70s but did not go in until the 2000s. Jerry Stovall from LSU was a runner-up for the Heisman in the 60s and he just went in within the past few years.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I golfed several years ago with an assistant coach for ISU (Danny Mac days). Can't remember his name, but he played defensive back for Mizzou. He said you couldn't tackle TD head-on. He was like a fireplug. They'd let him go by and get him from behind.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Man, he was screwed out of the Heisman. Could have (or should have) won it either year. I think he had a better season the second year (when he lost it to Wuerffel) but Wuerffel stats were also unreal.

His sophomore year, you could make the case for him over Eddie George. Played same position and had very similar numbers. Plus George played with several NFL players on that offense. I think Terry Glenn, Ricky Dudley, Orlando Pace were on that offense. Plus I think they had Mike Vrabel, Antoine Winfield and Shawn Springs on D, getting stops and the ball back for George. Who couldn't run for a ton of yards with that team?

Poor Troy had the entire D focused on him because they knew we had no other options. As much as I like Mark Konopka and Doug Easley, they weren't exactly Orlando Pace. And Easy Ed Williams was no Terry Glenn threat on the outside.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I golfed several years ago with an assistant coach for ISU (Danny Mac days). Can't remember his name, but he played defensive back for Mizzou. He said you couldn't tackle TD head-on. He was like a fireplug. They'd let him go by and get him from behind.

Whats that guys name? I know who ure talking about but cant think of it. He was a badass and played against us that game where td went off for like 298 yrds was my first game. I got a bunch of pics of him cause we were behind the mizzou bench

H

Hugs4ISU

He isn't a shoo-in because the prevailing (and dumb) opinion is that 1,999 of those 2,000+ yards each season were gained in the final 30 seconds of every game, and that ISU was already losing 177-3 at that point.

We usually were.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Man, he was screwed out of the Heisman. Could have (or should have) won it either year. I think he had a better season the second year (when he lost it to Wuerffel) but Wuerffel stats were also unreal.

His sophomore year, you could make the case for him over Eddie George. Played same position and had very similar numbers. Plus George played with several NFL players on that offense. I think Terry Glenn, Ricky Dudley, Orlando Pace were on that offense. Plus I think they had Mike Vrabel, Antoine Winfield and Shawn Springs on D, getting stops and the ball back for George. Who couldn't run for a ton of yards with that team?

Poor Troy had the entire D focused on him because they knew we had no other options. As much as I like Mark Konopka and Doug Easley, they weren't exactly Orlando Pace. And Easy Ed Williams was no Terry Glenn threat on the outside.

I remember when Jim Zabel voted for George over Davis. Right here in our own state. Even then, they were threatened by ISU and had to do a bush league move like this.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

DeMonte Cross. Last I knew he was with the Buffalo Bills. Really cool guy.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008

He had great games over two Nebraska teams considered some of the best the last 30 years.

KneeGusto

May 13, 2006
S̶q̶u̶a̶w̶ Ioway Creek
Troy Davis did things no other back did. His style was like Henry Williams but on every play of offense. He punished DB's and earned every yard.

His NFL years were mired in a dark era at New Orleans but he found success in the CFL culminating in a Grey Cup Championship ring at Edmonton.

Troy Davis should be a no-brainer for the College HOF.

Rio4CY

Sep 29, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure he is the only running back in NCAA history to have run for over 2,000 yards in two consecutive seasons and NOT win the heisman trophy.