Cheapest way to NYC

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Stargate.

Honestly, if anyone was planning on driving to Texas for a bowl, New York is a comparable drive.

Stay in New Jersey or out on Long Island, it's cheaper.

And food prices are only insane if you plan on eating at 5-star restaurants found in Times Square.

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
Stargate.

Honestly, if anyone was planning on driving to Texas for a bowl, New York is a comparable drive.

Stay in New Jersey or out on Long Island, it's cheaper.

And food prices are only insane if you plan on eating at 5-star restaurants found in Times Square.

Would have been 9 hours for me to go to Texas. And less cities to go through.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Flying in to Philly and take the train might be a cheap way. Philly is about an hour from nyc

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Would have been 9 hours for me to go to Texas. And less cities to go through.

Take it from someone who grew up in the Quad Cities but visited his family twice a year in New York - the only city you go "through" before New York is Chicago, and it's not even really through, it's through the south suburbs. You don't go through Toledo, you don't go through Cleveland, you don't come anywhere close to Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. You would actually drive through more cities on your way to Texas - at least Kansas City and Oklahoma City, and then possibly several Texas cities depending on which bowl game in Texas.

Total myth.

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
Newark is a good option.

Also, if you are renting a car, Westchester county (ie Tarrytown, White Plains, Scarsdale, Rye, Port Chester, etc) is only ~30-60 minutes north of the stadium, is a totally safe/upscale suburban area, and still has tons of nice hotel rooms available for $100-$150/night. If you get one really close to the metro north train stations you wouldn't necessarily even need a car.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I like the sounds of the Newark trip as well. It would be nice to stay with other Cyclone fans as well.

hawkclone11

Dec 13, 2008
Just booked round trip tickets from MSP to Newark for $400. Could've been a lot worse I suppose.

Becker

Nov 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids
If anyone is interested, I have $950 on an Amtrak voucher I've been looking to sell. I'm looking for $600, obo. Send me a message if you are interested. I won't be able to respond until tomorrow morning.

Only problem is.....is that I have to purchase the tickets. So I would buy the tickets in your name and then deliver them to you when you pay.

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
Flying in to Philly and take the train might be a cheap way. Philly is about an hour from nyc

Just to add to this, Amtrak from Philly to NYC is 1 hr 20 min, with the roundtrip typically costing $72-$130. Philly is a great city to visit too! If you're considering Philly you might look at flying on US Airways from KC, I used this route for the last 2 KSU games and the flights were direct and well under $300.

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
Take it from someone who grew up in the Quad Cities but visited his family twice a year in New York - the only city you go "through" before New York is Chicago, and it's not even really through, it's through the south suburbs. You don't go through Toledo, you don't go through Cleveland, you don't come anywhere close to Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. You would actually drive through more cities on your way to Texas - at least Kansas City and Oklahoma City, and then possibly several Texas cities depending on which bowl game in Texas.

Total myth.

Live in KC and have done the trip to Dallas. This really isn't the problem though, it's the other 9 hours and hundreds of miles of gas I would waste (Not really waste, but could spend it elsewhere).

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Walking. Not the most practical or realistic, but definitely the cheapest.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Orbitz.com roundtrip non stop to NYC $144. Put in "all NYC airports" And there are plenty of hotels that are reasonable.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron