pep band drummer

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
is it just me or does the pep band drummer from the past 2 games not know how to keep a beat?

also, why is he doing the 5 claps for the opposing team so fast??

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
This has got to be the first beat down thread of a Band member.

You're absolutely right though -- this guy's perfomance has been weak sauce!!! I would call for the 2nd string drummer but I personally think the red shirt freshman 3rd string drummer has more long-term potential -- go with him.

TrueAndValiant

Sep 7, 2009
There are some young guys in the group this year. Nobody does anything perfect in the first few games. Cut them some slack.

akellar

Nov 28, 2008
Stuart, IA
is it just me or does the pep band drummer from the past 2 games not know how to keep a beat?

also, why is he doing the 5 claps for the opposing team so fast??

Is this really what this message board has come to? I get people come here to vent but the pep band drummer? Really?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
You are correct, it has seemed like he's been rushing the 5 claps.

As others have said... it is early... the band is often rough this early in the year, just due to lack of rehearsal time. Doesnt surprise me to hear its a young group though, it seemed more rough than usual yesterday. It'll get better.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
With all due respect to the pep band, I really wish they'd stop with the stupid chants during free throws or whatever else. Nobody thinks they are funny or witty. They just sound really nerdy/awkward. I love when the band plays and I think they do a great job but their chants just really suck. I realize if people were cheering louder, they might not do it, but it still bothers me. Other than that, the band kicks ***.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
You are correct, it has seemed like he's been rushing the 5 claps.

As others have said... it is early... the band is often rough this early in the year, just due to lack of rehearsal time. Doesnt surprise me to hear its a young group though, it seemed more rough than usual yesterday. It'll get better.

I miss Pat.

But yeah, what the heck dude? The pep band has had all of about 4 practices by this point in the season, they're pretty rough.

Reactions: iahawkhunter

Statsman515

Jun 20, 2009
L A (Lovely Ames)
It's just you, the drummers are fine

:skeptical::skeptical: Sorry, but you are just plain wrong. I've got 45 years as a professional performer, yes musical, and there were several times yesterday that the group had tempo issues. Was it the drummer? Maybe the director was not as clear as the group needed him to be? Was the low brass too far from the drums to pick up the beat? Who knows for sure? One thing I do know, there were issues present that have been very rare in past years.:skeptical::skeptical:

Reactions: isubeatle

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
With all due respect to the pep band, I really wish they'd stop with the stupid chants during free throws or whatever else. Nobody thinks they are funny or witty. They just sound really nerdy/awkward. I love when the band plays and I think they do a great job but their chants just really suck. I realize if people were cheering louder, they might not do it, but it still bothers me. Other than that, the band kicks ***.

I thought that for the three years I was in the band. There will always be a group that clings to the dumb chants that no one can understand solely in the name of tradition.

Reactions: InCytful

oskyclone

Apr 13, 2006
Altoona

I enjoy the chants because they are clean and actually are kind of clever/funny. I think chants that you must listen to are more effective that just yelling. If someone tells you you are shooting a giant bowling ball, wouldn't that make you be like wtf? or smirk or something other than yelling.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
We've had a really difficult time attracting top pep band talent. Iowa consists of only 3 million people, our pep band budget is the smallest in the Big XII, and all of the top in-state talent seems to want to play in the Hawkeye pep band. Throw in the fact that the weather sucks and it seems as though the pep band is always off beat. I do think we have a good conductor; therefore, I'm hopeful we can turn it around. This year we may be rebuilding but next year -- look out!

Go Cyclones!

oskyclone

Apr 13, 2006
Altoona
:skeptical::skeptical: Sorry, but you are just plain wrong. I've got 45 years as a professional performer, yes musical, and there were several times yesterday that the group had tempo issues. Was it the drummer? Maybe the director was not as clear as the group needed him to be? Was the low brass too far from the drums to pick up the beat? Who knows for sure? One thing I do know, there were issues present that have been very rare in past years.:skeptical::skeptical:

I personally don't like the color of the rims of the baskets. Why orange? can't we do cyclone colors or something? And the shot clock buzzer, can't it be more manly and actually buzz loudly?

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
I enjoy the chants because they are clean and actually are kind of clever/funny. I think chants that you must listen to are more effective that just yelling. If someone tells you you are shooting a giant bowling ball, wouldn't that make you be like wtf? or smirk or something other than yelling.

The only one I think is kinda funny is when they do block that kick. The others, if you can make out what they're saying, are not. You're right, most of the stuff they say does make me say WTF? but in a bad way. I prefer it just louder than hell with students pounding on chairs/the risers or what ever.

oskyclone

Apr 13, 2006
Altoona
The only one I think is kinda funny is when they do block that kick. The others, if you can make out what they're saying, are not. You're right, most of the stuff they say does make me say WTF? but in a bad way. I prefer it just louder than hell with students pounding on chairs/the risers or what ever.

When there are 150 students there don't think it's going to be loud. Band members stereotypically nerds so it suits them and they keep it clean and orginal. That's my style and I think they are funny :)

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
The director for the men's band is also new so yesterday was only his third game directing them in a game atmosphere.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Are you telling me the drummer is a rookie!
WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!
You need leadership in the percussion section.
A pep band without a consistent beat is just
a bunch of kids playing with their instruments.

We got Drake Wednesday.
They won their last 2 trips to Hilton.
Let's get this thing fixed.