Iowa State Transfer/Recruiting Class 2024

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Heise is a high level defender and rebounder from the wing and that really, really works here.
I take taller guards who can hit 3 point shots. His game reminds me of Curtis Jones offensively, but maybe a little more physical on defense.

Heise seems to be solid on offense- over 35% from 3, over 50% from 2 and over 73% on free throws over his last 2 full seasons.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I take taller guards who can hit 3 point shots. His game reminds me of Curtis Jones offensively, but maybe a little more physical on defense.

Heise seems to be solid on offense- over 35% from 3, over 50% from 2 and over 73% on free throws over his last 2 full seasons.
Heise is what I hope Nojus can become.

It’s always good to add bigger guards that defend and shoot, plus handle and drive some

Like CuJo, he’d be difficult to keep off the court. And he’d be a great starter next to Lipsey in 2025-26

But with two ball dominant starting guards, CuJo, Milan…are there too many mouths to feed? And that assumes the two freshmen aren’t at all ready

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Would be great to get Hadley but I still think we are a hard sell on playing time to any transferring guards with three guys coming back who all played ~30 mins/game plus a top-100 recruit coming in.

Westside clone

Apr 5, 2022
need another center and multiple 4's before we need another 2/3 guard.

preferably a 4 who can small ball 5.
Everybody still wants the "small ball". Take a look at how we performed with that at times this year. No post defense, no rim protection, and no offensive rebounds. I will pass on small ball until we have a great 3 pt shooting team. With defense first, we need a true post playing defense and running our offense through.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Heise is what I hope Nojus can become.

It’s always good to add bigger guards that defend and shoot, plus handle and drive some

Like CuJo, he’d be difficult to keep off the court. And he’d be a great starter next to Lipsey in 2025-26

But with two ball dominant starting guards, CuJo, Milan…are there too many mouths to feed? And that assumes the two freshmen aren’t at all ready
Isn't he a senior, or does he have 2 years of eligibility left?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Everybody still wants the "small ball". Take a look at how we performed with that at times this year. No post defense, no rim protection, and no offensive rebounds. I will pass on small ball until we have a great 3 pt shooting team. With defense first, we need a true post playing defense and running our offense through.
I think the TJ version of small ball would be 6'5"-6'8" versatile guys in the 1-4, and then a big who is quick enough to switch on the outside (and maybe shoot a little outside).

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Heise just started following Conrad and Demarion on IG. He also
Just started following J’Vonne Hadley.
Would be fantastic IMO to have Lipsey/Gilbert/Jones/Heise/Hadley/Indrusaitis rotating liberally in the 1-3 with Watson/Momcilovik at the 4 and Jackson/Rock at the 5. That would be a 10 deep that could apply pressure all game long and wear teams down.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Would be great to get Hadley but I still think we are a hard sell on playing time to any transferring guards with three guys coming back who all played ~30 mins/game plus a top-100 recruit coming in.
If Hadley would have trouble getting PT, we wouldn’t be trying to sell PT to a 5th year guard. Particularly when losing our 3 bigs on and only having Jackson and Rock.

And I’d be surprised if 5th year transfers are factoring in freshman into PT calculations when a staff is telling a transfer they’ll play a major role

He knows CuJo. He knows we’re not trying to sell anything he won’t get

Last edited:
Reactions: singsing

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
At the same time, you can look at plenty of successful teams in March that were small. Villanova had a ton of success playing really small. Also, many of these possible lineups aren’t that small. Johnson or Rock at the 5 and Milan at the 4 and two wings that are 6’4-6’5 is plenty big.

Going small means a skill upgrade. So I think a caveat to that is a skill upgrade by Watson in the off-season, which I think is highly likely. If Watson can hit some shots and become deadly with some 1-2 dribble moves, he could be a huge difference-maker at the 4. That would be a fairly small lineup, but he’s a really good rebounder.

Obviously how well transfers work out will determine much about the season, but I think Watson’s offensive development will be as much of a determining factor as any.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
We have 2 true post players? How many do you want?

Forwards need to be in that 6'6" to 6'8" range with able to slash and hit a jumper

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
I’d be surprised if 5th year transfers are factoring in freshman into PT calculations when staff is selling them.

He knows CuJo. He knows we’re not trying to sell anything he won’t get
I'm of course not saying I think we're lying to transfers about what they're going to get, it's just the numbers of having that many guards who all need/want PT. If we run a traditional two-guard lineup, that's 80 minutes split between five players, 16 mins/game each. If two of them are playing 30 mins/game that's <7 min/game for the rest. If we run a three-guard lineup, that's 24 mins/game average and 15 mins/game for the other two if three guys average 30. I think a four-guard lineup for large amounts of time is fantasy with our defense.

If I have to beat out at least one of Lipsey, Gilbert, and Jones otherwise I might be playing ~ 10 mins/game, that doesn't seem real attractive to someone looking for PT.

I'll be happy to be wrong, would be great to have five great guards.

Hubbs4cy

Oct 10, 2023
Would be fantastic IMO to have Lipsey/Gilbert/Jones/Heise/Hadley/Indrusaitis rotating liberally in the 1-3 with Watson/Momcilovik at the 4 and Jackson/Rock at the 5. That would be a 10 deep that could apply pressure all game long and wear teams down.
I'd love a 10 deep rotation. Only thing is Lipsey/Gilbert/Jones should be getting 90+ of the 120 minutes 1-3 will have. Not sure we need 3 guards to fill those last 20-30 minutes, unless Indrusaitis isn't going to see the floor next year...I'd rather just get one of the Heise/Hadley and then get one more 6' 8" guy.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Between Jefferson, Dailey Jr, and Milicic, if we land one of them this team is already better (on paper) than this past season. In order, I think I'd like Dailey, Milicic, then Jefferson, but all are good options. We don't need absolute studs in the frontcourt, but guys that are good enough to rebound and play defense. Sprinkle in some scoring ability and it makes us more lethal. BRE, King, and Ward were fairly limited offensively so we have a great chance to be better on paper with another good post pickup.