Where Iowa State might turn to find an offensive coordinator replacement

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
So do we currently have 2 open positions that need to fill 4 roles? RB, QB, OC & ST

Having the 2 openings simultaneously might be a good thing- creating a bigger external pool of RB/OC or QB/OC candidates. It could even aid the candidacy of an internal guy like Clanton as OL/OC and then Campbell can address the RB & QB spots.

A couple things I haven't seen much discussion on the open coaching spots:
  1. Does Langs leaving mean we won't have ST "assigned" to a position coach. That was one of my favorite rabbit hole threads last off-season;)
  2. Does Nate leaving impact Manske's early commitment.

Reactions: nrg4isu

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
We can do better than anyone who is realistic on this list. I would like to see a young up and coming guy get a shot over someone like Clanton or Mouser who have very little proven success as play callers.

Like who? Throw out some names instead of just whining.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
A big no for me on Clanton. What experience does he have as a play caller? Let him do what he’s good at.

I’d be okay with Gordon or the Ohio OC, but I think we should be able to do a lot better than that.

CYFanKC

Aug 8, 2023
Name I don't think I have seen yet is Texas St OC Mack Leftwich. I honestly don't know if he was the play caller with GJ Kinne being the headcoach but they averaged 36.7 ppg and 450 yards on offense.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
He was listed as AN offensive coordinator, and reportedly did not call plays.
That is correct. Bodie Reeder was the playcaller and he's now the OC at Middle Tennessee State.

Clanton was given the title to get him more money to keep him for an extra year. Did he have input? Sure. Did he have any playcalling final say? No.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Name I don't think I have seen yet is Texas St OC Mack Leftwich. I honestly don't know if he was the play caller with GJ Kinne being the headcoach but they averaged 36.7 ppg and 450 yards on offense.

I don’t think it’s wise for our situation to be just out there shopping based on offensive outputs. We need someone that has a grasp on and will run CMC’s offense. This is not an “our offense is terrible we need a complete overhaul going back to the drawing board” situatiin.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
So do we currently have 2 open positions that need to fill 4 roles? RB, QB, OC & ST

Having the 2 openings simultaneously might be a good thing- creating a bigger external pool of RB/OC or QB/OC candidates. It could even aid the candidacy of an internal guy like Clanton as OL/OC and then Campbell can address the RB & QB spots.

A couple things I haven't seen much discussion on the open coaching spots:
  1. Does Langs leaving mean we won't have ST "assigned" to a position coach. That was one of my favorite rabbit hole threads last off-season;)
  2. Does Nate leaving impact Manske's early commitment.

Langs was special teams coach in title but another coach was the actual special teams coach.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Campbell is either going to promote a guy on the staff, rehire a previous staff member to be the OC, or, and most likely, he doesn’t hire anyone as OC and just calls the plays himself like he did when Manning left the first time.