*** Official #12 IOWA STATE vs #18 Baylor Game(Day) Thread ***

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Lipsey needs to start driving more, get into the middle of the zone, there are floaters and kick outs galore to be had there.

There have been times we got the lane, with, path to the basket, only for guys to chicken out.

Pavs actually made a nice drive, had the lane and then stopped. He might have got swatted but I thought he should have taken it the distance.

With that said we also need guys to rotate to the open spots if and when they collapse. Sometimes we don't do that, guys get swarmed, and there isn't an outlet.

Reactions: fsanford

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Yeah this is a game Iowa State has had a ton of opportunities in. Missing the bunnies just killing them but they just look out of sorts.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think it is important to remember that Baylor is a good team too. We are playing on the road in the B12, it takes a REALLY high level of play to get wins on the road at top 25 big12 teams. It is just freaking hard.

Haha yeah they're ranked #18 and good and there's a bit of 'WTF is going on out there!?' vibes.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
On defense we really get exploited by good 3 point shooting teams who are patient and get get us into our 2nd, 3rd and 4th rotation. That patient ball movement just goes faster than our def can rotate. I don't know what we do about that though, because the reason we have been good is our trapping def. I guess we just have to live with it when people exploit that weakness.
Baylor’s not just a good 3 point shooting team, all of their guards are good ball handlers too. Tough to stop penetration when 3 other players on the floor are good/great 3 point shooters.

I hope Baylor cools off a little (can’t give them wide open threes though) and we start making jumpers inside the lane. Not a good feeling going into the 2nd half though.

cincinnaticyclone

Nov 29, 2016
It’s the same thing we’ve seen offensively In the TJ era, we just don’t have the guys to consistently make open shots - I think that’s a thing that’ll keep improving with each recruiting class but they’re not there yet.
We have plenty of people who can make shots. The problem is our sets, which are way too simple and easy to defend - it’s a coaching problem, not a player problem. No P6 team should have this much trouble with a 2-3 zone

• Disagree
Reactions: Ankency

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
If you are athletic enough, playing zone is actually a huge rebounding advantage against us, especially a 1-3-1 where bodies are spread out more unpredictably.

We drill box outs every day. It's a safe bet it's mostly against man-to man since we see it 95+% of the time.

We have no idea where the bodies are at and while we are searching, Baylor can track the ball and pounce while we are playing Marco Polo w/ no muscle memory or game rep experience against it.