Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It is probably their only choice at this point. They don't have the overall talent to compete with the top teams this year. It is what it is at this point. You have to ride Clark as far as she will take you.
Do you think it would have been better if the two players didn’t take their Covid year and they brought in two freshmen who could develop through the year?

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Do you think it would have been better if the two players didn’t take their Covid year and they brought in two freshmen who could develop through the year?
In hindsight maybe, but I'm still hopeful that Marshall can get something going. Her slump is really strange and she has been known to get hot before.

I'm really glad Martin came back and wished that Warniok would have come back for another year.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Yes, her actions are sickening. Karl Anthony Towns had similar mannerisms in that he would always complain to officials. Many fans in the Twin Cities didn't like him because of his constant complaining. He hasn't been complaining to officials as much this season, and fans are starting to view him differently now.

How you carry yourself when people are watching you and when people are not watching you is what makes someone a great role model.

I don't know what to tell you other than if you find someone complaining to officials sickening then I'm afraid sports may not be for you.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I don't know what to tell you other than if you find someone complaining to officials sickening then I'm afraid sports may not be for you.
There are plenty of great athletes who never complain about officiating. Some great athletes will complain occasionally. But it seems CC complains more than the average player. I guess that's why some view her mannerisms as being arrogant.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I have to admit, I read this thread and I get a good chuckle. Some of you people are absolute, world-class haters. She's a great player doing new things in the women's game. Some of you sound silly.

For me, its never been about her or her playing. She's an amazing talent and has done a lot for the woman's game. To me its the nauseating love fest from the local media that's shoved down our throats 24/7....to the point that their blind love for her seems to ignore all of the times where she acts like a diva or gets away with star treatment ect.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
In hindsight maybe, but I'm still hopeful that Marshall can get something going. Her slump is really strange and she has been known to get hot before.

I'm really glad Martin came back and wished that Warniok would have come back for another year.
Warnock had a choice - play basketball for another year or attend dental school. She made the better choice of going to dental school for her long-term future.

• Agree
Reactions: iahawks

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Warnock had a choice - play basketball for another year or attend dental school. She made the better choice of going to dental school for her long-term future.
Never said she didn't. But she hit a lot of big shots for Iowa last year and is sorely missed this year.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
This is why I'm fairly certain Clark goes to the WNBA after this season. They likely will not make it back to the national championship game and they'll have even less talent on the roster next year unless they hit the portal hard. Since they didn't bring in a single impact player from the portal this past year after falling just short of the natty it's no guarantee they'll be able to reload in the portal for 1 final run either. I still think that is a big question on why they weren't able to land even 1 big addition in the portal as the runner up and the best player in the sport on the team coming back. Been plenty of speculation here on why that is and have heard that there was plenty of NIL $ allotted from the Swarm collective for them to go after players in the portal.

There isn't really much left for her to accomplish other than a conference title and a natty as she is going to hold a lot of individual records by the end of this season. People keep saying "well she can make more money in college with NIL than she will WNBA salary" but that's not really true at this point with all the endorsements she has that will follow her to the WNBA and likely keep growing too. Nike, State Farm, Buick, Bose, H&R Block, Gatorade, Hy-Vee, etc. all aren't going to leave her when she leaves college so that money is still going to be there regardless if she is at Iowa or in the WNBA and that list probably will continue to grow.
They can't hit the portal unless Bluder pushes people out.

Their current roster has 14 - they lose four (Davis, Marshall, Martin, and Clark). They signed five in November, taking them to 15 scholarship players.

The what-if would be Kylie Feuerbach, who should graduate in May; however, she has her redshirt year and a COVID year, so hard to see her giving up two more years of playing college basketball.

Sharon Goodman graduated in December but has stated she is playing next year.

If Clark takes her COVID year, something has to give.

• Informative
Reactions: CYdTracked

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
For me, its never been about her or her playing. She's an amazing talent and has done a lot for the woman's game. To me its the nauseating love fest from the local media that's shoved down our throats 24/7....to the point that their blind love for her seems to ignore all of the times where she acts like a diva or gets away with star treatment ect.

Again, I can't figure out what's complicated about this. She is the state's most relevant sports story right now and it's not even close. We have no pro sports, we have marginal CFB teams and we have marginal to bad MBB teams. She's the best sports story in the state, and like it or not she's nationally relevant. And the "act like a diva" thing is just nonsense. You see it in the men's game constantly. You see it in the NBA constantly. You see it in the NFL constantly. If she were a bad person off the Court, then sure, I'd agree with you. If she was awful to her young fans or in trouble with the law, sure, I'd have trouble with them glossing over it. But she doesn't do those things.

You people just come off as petty, and this all comes down to Iowa being a rival, which is fine. You don't have to love her. But at least call a spade a spade and say it's because she plays for Iowa, instead of all this other ridiculous nonsense.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Again, I can't figure out what's complicated about this. She is the state's most relevant sports story right now and it's not even close. We have no pro sports, we have marginal CFB teams and we have marginal to bad MBB teams. She's the best sports story in the state, and like it or not she's nationally relevant. And the "act like a diva" thing is just nonsense. You see it in the men's game constantly. You see it in the NBA constantly. You see it in the NFL constantly. If she were a bad person off the Court, then sure, I'd agree with you. If she was awful to her young fans or in trouble with the law, sure, I'd have trouble with them glossing over it. But she doesn't do those things.

You people just come off as petty, and this all comes down to Iowa being a rival, which is fine. You don't have to love her. But at least call a spade a spade and say it's because she plays for Iowa, instead of all this other ridiculous nonsense.

Maybe some day I'll be good enough to see the world from your view......

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby

Brock and Tyrese say hello.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I don't believe many Iowa fans said such a thing. Iowa fans knew they would be worse off without CZ and needed to get a similar player out of the portal.

I know several Iowa fans that said there would be no drop off. The biggest issue is the lack of post play has taken away all of those wide open muscle memory rhythm three's the other guards were getting last year.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

Premature labeling the ISU mens basketball team as marginal thank you very much. They could end up being very good.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Clark doesn't have much help and if she didn't play hero ball, I would bet Iowa would be much worse for it. She is going to have down games for sure and even last night wasn't her best by far. But her taking the vast majority of the shots is still probably what is needed for Iowa to be successful. You have to live and die with it.
I think you've hit the proverbial nail on the head here. The difference to me, though, is her "hero ball" is the cause and the "no help" is the effect.

CycloneEggie

Oct 28, 2011
I hate her and her antics. That being said if she was on the Cyclones I'd probably love her and her antics.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017

Some people just don't like someone who comes off as cocky and/or arrogant. If you don't mind someone who is cocky/arrogant, that's fine. But it is bothersome to others

Edit: Purdy is a great athlete, having exceptional success on the highest stage, yet remains humble.

Last edited: