Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I thought that, too, seeing a clip of the shot while I was doing other things. But she actually did dribble the ball once. No traveling.

No, I don't think she did...after I noticed that, I rewatched several times. Tell me *when* she dribbled? I know it's water under the bridge. It's just one of those little things that tends to bug me. Good/great players get away with a lot of little things.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Nobody is saying she's not a bad athlete. In fact, many agree she is a great athlete. But her attitude comes off as very, very arrogant. She's really not a great role model for young girls with her constant whining and complaining to officials. And her stats are inflated because she shoots about 50% of the entire team's shots

The buzzer shot was a great shot. I don't think anyone will disagree with that. It's the way she acts is just sickening
I love her confidence.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
No, I don't think she did...after I notices that, I rewatched several times. Tell me *when* she dribbled? I know it's water under the bridge. It's just one of those little things that tends to bug me. Good/great players get away with a lot of little things.

It's behind her body, but she does dribble as she moves to the left. Just before the shot.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
It's strange that Iowa's strategy is to get the best player in the country the most shots.

That said, this team isn't as good as last year's. They miss Czinano like crazy. They're a second weekend team but not a Final Four team.

This is why I'm fairly certain Clark goes to the WNBA after this season. They likely will not make it back to the national championship game and they'll have even less talent on the roster next year unless they hit the portal hard. Since they didn't bring in a single impact player from the portal this past year after falling just short of the natty it's no guarantee they'll be able to reload in the portal for 1 final run either. I still think that is a big question on why they weren't able to land even 1 big addition in the portal as the runner up and the best player in the sport on the team coming back. Been plenty of speculation here on why that is and have heard that there was plenty of NIL $ allotted from the Swarm collective for them to go after players in the portal.

There isn't really much left for her to accomplish other than a conference title and a natty as she is going to hold a lot of individual records by the end of this season. People keep saying "well she can make more money in college with NIL than she will WNBA salary" but that's not really true at this point with all the endorsements she has that will follow her to the WNBA and likely keep growing too. Nike, State Farm, Buick, Bose, H&R Block, Gatorade, Hy-Vee, etc. all aren't going to leave her when she leaves college so that money is still going to be there regardless if she is at Iowa or in the WNBA and that list probably will continue to grow.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Nobody is saying she's not a bad athlete. In fact, many agree she is a great athlete. But her attitude comes off as very, very arrogant. She's really not a great role model for young girls with her constant whining and complaining to officials. And her stats are inflated because she shoots about 50% of the entire team's shots

The buzzer shot was a great shot. I don't think anyone will disagree with that. It's the way she acts is just sickening

The way she acts is "sickening"? Get a grip.

Kid has never been in trouble and seems like nothing but a good person off the floor, so save me the "bad role model" nonsense. I've never heard anyone say anything negative about her as a person and she seems to be pretty gracious with her time. On the court, sure she complains. But it's not like she's the only one. Working the refs is part of basketball.

And as for her numbers, they were in the National Championship last year and are ranked #4 right now. What she's doing appears to be working for them just fine.

Last edited:

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
It's behind her body, but she does dribble as she moves to the left. Just before the shot.
I need another angle. because I see her holding it in two hands and swinging it side to side at hip level. I watched the space between her feet/legs, and never saw the ball hit the floor. Oh well...I'll let it go.

Edit: super slo mo - finally saw the ball. My bad...I was wrong.
:)

• Friendly
Reactions: frackincygy

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
That has already been discussed. Trolls here said there would not be a drop off with the loss of Cz, when we said there would be.
I don't believe many Iowa fans said such a thing. Iowa fans knew they would be worse off without CZ and needed to get a similar player out of the portal.

• Agree
Reactions: 1776

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
No, I don't think she did...after I noticed that, I rewatched several times. Tell me *when* she dribbled? I know it's water under the bridge. It's just one of those little things that tends to bug me. Good/great players get away with a lot of little things.
How you can't see a dribble here is what is very confusing.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I need another angle. because I see her holding it in two hands and swinging it side to side at hip level. I watched the space between her feet/legs, and never saw the ball hit the floor. Oh well...I'll let it go.

Edit: super slo mo - finally saw the ball. My bad...I was wrong.
:)
I just watched this -- and just to look for a dribble -- I see it at about 1 sec.

Reactions: ImJustKCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don't believe many Iowa fans said such a thing. Iowa fans knew they would be worse off without CZ and needed to get a similar player out of the portal.
I said the trolls here, you guys are pretty delusional many times. Well, it could be one or two trolls since they have about 18 usernames each.

• Creative

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
You’re right, she’s totally not a special player.
My entire point is her stats are inflated due to shot volume. Look at Madison Connor from TCU. She shoots 27% of the team's shots, makes 43.2% of her three point attempts (on 148 shot attempts). She has 6 rebounds per game with 3 assists per game. That's really not far off from Clark, and some stats are better than Clark. Clark appears to be better because the ball is almost always in her hands on each possession. I've been on record saying Clark is a great athlete. But if you look at the stats on the surface, they appear to be high (like points per game) simply because of the volume of shots she puts up. It's just like Kobe after Shaq left. While Kobe was a great player, he had to have the ball in his hands.

• Creative

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
My entire point is her stats are inflated due to shot volume. Look at Madison Connor from TCU. She shoots 27% of the team's shots, makes 43.2% of her three point attempts (on 148 shot attempts). She has 6 rebounds per game with 3 assists per game. That's really not far off from Clark, and some stats are better than Clark. Clark appears to be better because the ball is almost always in her hands on each possession. I've been on record saying Clark is a great athlete. But if you look at the stats on the surface, they appear to be high (like points per game) simply because of the volume of shots she puts up. It's just like Kobe after Shaq left. While Kobe was a great player, he had to have the ball in his hands.
Clark doesn't have much help and if she didn't play hero ball, I would bet Iowa would be much worse for it. She is going to have down games for sure and even last night wasn't her best by far. But her taking the vast majority of the shots is still probably what is needed for Iowa to be successful. You have to live and die with it.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017

Kid has never been in trouble and seems like nothing but a good person off the floor, so save me the "bad role model" nonsense. I've never heard anything say anything negative about her as a person and she seems to be pretty gracious with her time. On the court, sure she complains. But it's not like she's the only one. Working the refs is part of basketball.

And as for her numbers, they were in the National Championship last year and are ranked #4 right now. What she's doing appears to be working for them just fine.
Yes, her actions are sickening. Karl Anthony Towns had similar mannerisms in that he would always complain to officials. Many fans in the Twin Cities didn't like him because of his constant complaining. He hasn't been complaining to officials as much this season, and fans are starting to view him differently now.

How you carry yourself when people are watching you and when people are not watching you is what makes someone a great role model.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

Kid has never been in trouble and seems like nothing but a good person off the floor, so save me the "bad role model" nonsense. I've never heard anything say anything negative about her as a person and she seems to be pretty gracious with her time. On the court, sure she complains. But it's not like she's the only one. Working the refs is part of basketball.

There are no stories about her turning a kid down for an autograph or a picture or any negative public interactions and if they had happened we would have definitely heard about it.

It's okay to admit that she's great for the game even though she wears the laundry that you don't like.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Stuelke's obviously not the true big and post target that MC was but has stepped up big time and brings elements to her game that MC didn't.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Stuelke's obviously not the true big and post target that MC was but has stepped up big time and brings elements to her game that MC didn't.
I like Stuelke and she has improved as the season has went on, but she is a bit undersized.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Yes Catlin is the greatest college player in WBB today and probably for the past 10+ years. That said, I think Iowa's current model will bite them come tournament time. They are willing to live with her taking over half the teams shots then they better be willing to accept to fate of her having an off night against a team that can shut everyone else down.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Yes Catlin is the greatest college player in WBB today and probably for the past 10+ years. That said, I think Iowa's current model will bite them come tournament time. They are willing to live with her taking over half the teams shots then they better be willing to accept to fate of her having an off night against a team that can shut everyone else down.
It is probably their only choice at this point. They don't have the overall talent to compete with the top teams this year. It is what it is at this point. You have to ride Clark as far as she will take you.