Iowa loses Cade McNamara

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
That’s sad for him. From what I can tell there is not much difference between him and the backup other than NIL money, but hate to see anyone get hurt.
Main difference appears to be experience. Sounds like the new QB missed his senior year due to Covid restrictions and hasn't played a ton in college either.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
What does it matter? There are at LEAST 3 games left where they could not run an offensive play and still win off punt returns or defensive scores.
It’s crazy but true. They could punt on first down every possession (except when in fg range) and still win a few games. Some of that is how good their defense and st are, more of it is how bad their schedule is.

I wonder if the qb has to come back to get his nil money. Or does he get paid on a yearly basis? How would you like to ask boosters for another $600k to pay that kid? He’s not very good.

Reactions: exCYtable

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
He's only at 22 points with Cade and the non-conference portion of the schedule. I figured they'd find a convenient way to ignore that very widely discussed expectation anyway. But you're right, this is probably the get out of jail free card for him.
Big

Ten

West

Enough said. When you play in a division that has been much more like the MWC than the other power conferences/divisions things aren’t getting tougher. They played their one good team for the year.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
They could trott Brian F out there and they'd have just as much of a chance to get to 10 wins. People are underestimating just how terrible the West is this year... and Iowa pulled basically the worst teams from the East this year as well. I'm not sure you could have shaped a weaker conference schedule for them.

No West team has a good offense and most have average or below average defenses. Iowa has great Defense and Special Teams and that will be enough to pull their limp body to the Division title.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Iowa has a pretty cushy schedule going forward so they'll be fine. It's not like they were an offensive juggernaut with Cade at QB either as the Ferentz scheme has been their issue for years now.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Already being reported that he is planning on rehabbing and coming back next year.
I wouldn't say that, but it will be nice having someone who seems to be 100% healthy. None of it really matters with an OL that can't block and WRs that can't get separation from coverage.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
He could have a contract.
I expect he has a contract. But was it a one year deal?

Originally when NIL Legislation was passed player deals could not be tied to a specific school or playing time. But who knows with how Collective's have evolved and what's a kids recourse if a collective doesn't pay? Remember the blow-up last January with Florida's top QB recruit.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I expect he has a contract. But was it a one year deal?

Originally when NIL Legislation was passed player deals could not be tied to a specific school or playing time. But who knows with how Collective's have evolved and what's a kids recourse if a collective doesn't pay? Remember the blow-up last January with Florida's top QB recruit.
You can just have it as they are eligible as long as they are playing for Iowa. That doesn’t tie it to performance.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I wouldn't say that, but it will be nice having someone who seems to be 100% healthy. None of it really matters with an OL that can't block and WRs that can't get separation from coverage.
Or WRs that could catch the ball too. Iowa's offense is bad in all factors. Can't block, can't run, can't throw and can't catch.

• Agree
Reactions: Gonzo

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Spencer Petras might as well strap up for the rest of the season. That would bring back some spirit to all the Hawk fans.
If they start to tail spin a little bit, I could see them turning to Petras potentially. No clue on the Labas situation. Chris Hassell keeps using the injury excuse with him, just like he had been doing to excuse McNamara's poor play. Regardless, Hill will struggle. He sucks, and is a walk-on type of player that will be starting games at Quarterback in the Big 10, albeit most games will be against poor competition. And that is very fortunate for him. He came in late during the Penn State game and was the victim of perhaps the worst strip sack I have ever seen. He was just holding the ball out so the Penn State D lineman just had to swat it out of his hand, he didn't even get sacked. Pathetic.

Anywho, like I was saying, Hill will struggle. The question though is will it matter? Iowa can probably win games even if he sucks. Kind of like they just did on Saturday vs MSU. If they go on a little slide and it is clear that they cannot win games with him, bring ol' Petras out of retirement baby!

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Or WRs that could catch the ball too. Iowa's offense is bad in all factors. Can't block, can't run, can't throw and can't catch.
Would be great if they tried CDJ on a few looks in the slot or something, kid's a gamechanger, just get the ball into his hands.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I actually think with some experience Hill will be just as decent at McNamara. Cade wasn’t anything amazing.
I agree with this. With the way Cade had been playing, I am not sure we will see any noticeable drop off. McNamara had a very Petras like stat line up to this point in the season. Hill is probably on a similar level as Petras too, I would think. He looks like Stanley a little bit. A bonus for Iowa if he plays as good as Stanley also.