Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I don't mean this in a derogatory way towards the B1G, just as I believe people here also have an inflated view of the Big 12... but the SEC's top 3-4 each year are usually REALLY good, not just good like Michigan or tOSU the past few years.

Going forward, you're going to have a tier that includes Bama, Georgia, LSU, Texas, OU, and A&M as legit Top 10 programs. And you'll still have the occasional bursts from Tenn, Auburn, and Florida. Now, because some will play against each other, they'll obviously have losses and some move down in the polls, allowing for more opposing conference teams.

But if you had a playoff that included the Top 6 from every conference, I'm betting that the SEC would end up with 3 of the 4-6 teams standing at the end more often than any other conference having 2 standing.

This gets proven out every year in the playoffs. The only program that has really tested the SEC in the playoffs more than once is Clemson, and some would question if they're still at that ability right now. And the losses other conference winners take are usually pretty significant.
I agree SEC is the premier conference. And it’s not just a couple teams at the top and then a bunch of ho-hums, as we like to tell ourselves. That conference has actually displayed more parity than any other conference the past 25 years. Bama, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Florida, and Tennessee have all won national championships since the advent of the BCS. As currently constructed, Big 12 has 2 teams that have won, ACC has 2, Big 10 has 1, PAC 12 has 1

That said, I’ll believe A&M can be a legitimate national title contender when I see it. Other than athletic department budget, Tennessee, Florida, and Auburn are all better football programs and have all won national championships a hell of a lot more recently.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I agree SEC is the premier conference. And it’s not just a couple teams at the top and then a bunch of ho-hums, as we like to tell ourselves. That conference has actually displayed more parity than any other conference the past 25 years. Bama, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Florida, and Tennessee have all won national championships since the advent of the BCS. As currently constructed, Big 12 has 2 teams that have won, ACC has 2, Big 10 has 1, PAC 12 has 1

That said, I’ll believe A&M can be a legitimate national title contender when I see it. Other than athletic department budget, Tennessee, Florida, and Auburn are all better football programs and have all won national championships a hell of a lot more recently.
And now those 2 B12 title winners are in the SEC and the Pac winner is in the B1G. That just leaves Clemson and FSU as the only champs outside those conferences.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I asked Google's AI "Bard" if Colorado is joining the Big 12.
As of June 28, 2023, there is no official announcement that Colorado will join the Big 12. However, there have been several reports that the two schools are in talks and that a deal is likely to be finalized soon.

The Big 12 is looking to add two teams to replace Oklahoma and Texas, who are leaving for the SEC in 2025. Colorado is a natural fit for the conference, as it is a Big 12 legacy program that has a strong athletic department. The Buffaloes would also help to balance the conference geographically, as they would be the only school located in the Rocky Mountain region.

The Pac-12 is also looking to add teams, but it is unclear if they will be able to offer Colorado a better deal than the Big 12. The Pac-12's media rights deal is set to expire in 2024, and it is unclear how much money the conference will be able to generate from its next deal.

If Colorado does join the Big 12, it would be a major coup for the conference. The Buffaloes would be a valuable addition to the Big 12's television package and would help to make the conference more competitive in the national landscape.

A final decision on whether or not Colorado will join the Big 12 is expected to be made in the coming months.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
If you think the playoff committee rankings aren’t biased by the previous 2+ months of polls, including the preseason rankings, well … I’m not sure what to tell you.
They aren't. The polls have nothing to do with rankings at all. Zero, zip, zilch nada.
Dave Bartoo @cfbmatrix and cfb_professor have the formula figured out. Heck, Matrix was on the radio with Chris multiple times over the years.

• Haha
Reactions: KidSilverhair

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
They aren't. The polls have nothing to do with rankings at all. Zero, zip, zilch nada.
Dave Bartoo @cfbmatrix and cfb_professor have the formula figured out. Heck, Matrix was on the radio with Chris multiple times over the years.
The polls are done by a committee. Of humans. With biases. Including how teams have been ranked from the preseason on. It might even be subconscious, but to claim a group of people are completely unbiased when they’re applying any kind of “formula“ is simply impossible.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

they have also spent years to get this point by creating favorable in conference scheduling(only 8 games)where good teams do not run into each other often, working the media to prop them up so they are high in the polls to start the year, protecting late season ratings playing out of conference patsies, and oh yeah, CHEATING LIKE FKING CRAZY. There have also been years where all the strength is in on division. Remember the year when one division went 0-6 in the bowls, and this was before players sat out. Because of all the above built in advantages, plus now with huge media payouts, the SEC thing has taken on a life of its own.

The SEC also benefited from the Big 12 breaking apart. Prior to that, they nor any other league could really recruit Texas, they were shut out. Most of the Texas high school players were going to the Big 12. After the Big 12 got established, even all the norther schools had a minimum of 25 players on their rosters. It is interesting that when Mizzou left they won their SEC division twice in a row with Big 12 recruited players. I remember the SEC folk were saying Mizzou is going to find out what is like to play big boy football when they join. To which Gary Pinkel fired back. "what do you all think, we play high school football or something"

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I can’t believe all the paranoia in this thread. A 12 team playoff makes it more likely that ISU can reach the playoff in 2024 version of our league.

Also, has leaving the Big 12 worked out for anyone?
It’s worked out for Nebraska. Way more money, easier schedule, maintained recruiting rankings and even for a while improved despite not winning. When they still had a competent coach they were every bit as successful as they were in the Big 12. The move to the big 10 was great for Nebraska, but they trashed those benefits with a bad and then a train wreck coaching hire.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It’s worked out for Nebraska. Way more money, easier schedule, maintained recruiting rankings and even for a while improved despite not winning. When they still had a competent coach they were every bit as successful as they were in the Big 12. The move to the big 10 was great for Nebraska, but they trashed those benefits with a bad and then a train wreck coaching hire.

Didn’t they win a Natty while they were in the big 12?

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
It will be interesting to see how the B1G schedules games when they start the 16 team free-for-all. I don’t think it will be some computer-generated schedule that balances the matchups over time. It’s not now, for instance Nebraska has played a significantly harder set of East teams than Iowa has since they joined. I’m guessing they will consider TV ratings with the big regular season matchups but also try to protect their playoff representation. They have to schedule Michigan vs tOSU every year but after that we may not see that many head-to-head regular season games among USC, tOSU, Michigan and Penn St. I think they will try to avoid a rematch in the CCG if possible.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
they have also spent years to get this point by creating favorable in conference scheduling(only 8 games)where good teams do not run into each other often, working the media to prop them up so they are high in the polls to start the year, protecting late season ratings playing out of conference patsies, and oh yeah, CHEATING LIKE FKING CRAZY. There have also been years where all the strength is in on division. Remember the year when one division went 0-6 in the bowls, and this was before players sat out. Because of all the above built in advantages, plus now with huge media payouts, the SEC thing has taken on a life of its own.

The SEC also benefited from the Big 12 breaking apart. Prior to that, they nor any other league could really recruit Texas, they were shut out. Most of the Texas high school players were going to the Big 12. After the Big 12 got established, even all the norther schools had a minimum of 25 players on their rosters. It is interesting that when Mizzou left they won their SEC division twice in a row with Big 12 recruited players. I remember the SEC folk were saying Mizzou is going to find out what is like to play big boy football when they join. To which Gary Pinkel fired back. "what do you all think, we play high school football or something"
They have favorable conference scheduling. But that doesn’t mean the teams aren’t good. They’ve won 13 of the last 17, 6 of the last 10, and the last 4 national titles in a row. An SEC team has at least played in every championship game except one since 2005.

I don’t recall the SEC going 0-6 in bowls. What year was that? The SEC has only had one losing bowl record in a season since 2010 (the furthest date back I could find). No other conference has fewer than 3 (ironically the P12). They have the highest win percentage in bowls of any conference as of 7 years ago (.570). I couldn’t find a more recent number, but I’d bet this still stands.

Sorry, but all of those accomplishments aren’t simply because they’ve played 8 conference games instead of 9.

Regarding cheating, I don’t even know what cheating is anymore with NIL. I’d bet they paid players more than any other conference, but no one’s hands are/were clean.

Access to Texas helps, but they were winning titles before A&M moved to the SEC. They’re fortunate that they are in a warm, prospect-fruitful, growing region of the country that actually cares about football. The big ESPN deal in 2008 helped big time too.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
It will be interesting to see how the B1G schedules games when they start the 16 team free-for-all. I don’t think it will be some computer-generated schedule that balances the matchups over time. It’s not now, for instance Nebraska has played a significantly harder set of East teams than Iowa has since they joined. I’m guessing they will consider TV ratings with the big regular season matchups but also try to protect their playoff representation. They have to schedule Michigan vs tOSU every year but after that we may not see that many head-to-head regular season games among USC, tOSU, Michigan and Penn St. I think they will try to avoid a rematch in the CCG if possible.

Protected rivals play every year. After that, each B1G team will play every other B1G team at least twice, home and away, every four years.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Reactions: SCNCY

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Didn’t they win a Natty while they were in the big 12?
That was more than a quarter of a century ago in year 1 or 2 of the leagues existence. They were still living off the benefits of what can hardly be considered the modern era of CFB when they were one of the few that were on TV every week, had allowed partial qualifiers, and the higher scholarship limits concentrated talent at the top schools.

Once those changes took full effect they came down to earth, weren’t very good with Callahan, then bounced back with Pelini, who was just as successful in the Big 10 as he was in the Big 12.

I’m not saying it’s like Minnesotas national titles, but the landscape of college football changed dramatically in the early 2000s. It’s all about the coach.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
So what you're saying here is that it hasn't worked out.

Nebraska: they make more money, they still fill the stadium, but they've absolutely sucked on the field since they quit being able to recruit Texas and all their past cache hasn't helped them hire the right coach.

Missouri: they make more money, but their fans couldn't care less about the schedule they play and they've been very mediocre on the field. They don't fit their conference and are just kind of there with no rivalry games.

Colorado: they've gotten worse on the field AND lost a ton of money. There is no bigger loser in the realignment of the past decade than Colorado.

A&M: they got away from Texas, recruited at a higher level, but they still haven't won anything. With Texas coming to the SEC, they lose that advantage or uniqueness and they're still tethered to a coach who's been abysmal there. If you can make an argument that anyone who left the Big 12 is better off, it's them, but for how much longer?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Nebraska: they make more money, they still fill the stadium, but they've absolutely sucked on the field since they quit being able to recruit Texas and all their past cache hasn't helped them hire the right coach.

Missouri: they make more money, but their fans couldn't care less about the schedule they play and they've been very mediocre on the field. They don't fit their conference and are just kind of there with no rivalry games.

Colorado: they've gotten worse on the field AND lost a ton of money. There is no bigger loser in the realignment of the past decade than Colorado.

A&M: they got away from Texas, recruited at a higher level, but they still haven't won anything. With Texas coming to the SEC, they lose that advantage or uniqueness and they're still tethered to a coach who's been abysmal there. If you can make an argument that anyone who left the Big 12 is better off, it's them, but for how much longer?
I’m saying their failures are because they fired a good coach, then hired a mediocre coach and a terrible coach. All the factors that people attribute to the conference - schedule, access to recruiting do t hold up to basic fact checking. SoS has gone down. Up until the last couple of years recruiting rankings were as good or better than they had been when they were winning under Pelini.

It’s 100% correlation without causation. The reality is the benefits of going to the big 10 can’t overcome terrible coaching.

Again, try to explain how the Big 10 impacted them. Those explanations absolutely don’t hold up. It’s simply a matter of coaching hire failures. Nothing more.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Recruiting hasn't been their problem. They hauled in a combined 22 4-star recruits in the 2019 and 2020 classes alone.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Wow. Iowa will be playing Ohio State way more often than it has been.
At least there is some structure to the schedule the next 2 years unlike the B1G’s current process. The only thing surprising about that schedule is that Iowa didn’t name Minnesota, Nebraska and Illinois (instead of Wisconsin) as their protected rivals. The Hawks love them some soft schedule. Although Sconi looks like they might have blown their wad and are on the way down.