Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Voting is open for the Elite Eight of the Cyclone Fanatic Sitcom Tournament

Every matchup will be released tonight

How to vote (this will apply to all rounds):
  • To select the favorite (the show seeded highest), choose the Heart emoji.
  • To select the underdog, choose the Rainbow emoji.
No other emojis will be counted.

Deadline to vote: Now through Thursday at 7 PM

Reactions: cyfreddy

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I grew up resenting MASH because it always conflicted with something I wanted to watch, but since my older siblings liked it, we watched it.
My dad was a medic in the Navy, he loved MASH when I was a kid. There were times when MASH was on and he'd be playing cards with my uncles or something and I'd sneak to the TV and try turning it to Three's Company, and I'd always get busted... "HEY! Turn it back to MASH, now!"

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
If someone told me before tournament began that "Gilligan's Island" would advance to Elite 8, longer than all but one 2 seed, all the 3's (and the rest), I would've Scoffed Out Loud.

Is it possible the castaways' survival instinct wasn't entirely fictional?
Apparently Mary Ann has more pull than we thought.

Pun intended.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I grew up resenting MASH because it always conflicted with something I wanted to watch, but since my older siblings liked it, we watched it.

It was the show our family watched. ALL. THE. TIME.

Father’s Day, Christmas, birthdays, dad would get a season on dvd as a gift. We would then spend the rest of the day watching that season. Had all the seasons, then I bought him a new set so I could have his.

I don’t know how many nights we spent watching episodes. We didn’t have cable, so every time some presidential thing was on, weather, or just stupid shows, we would watch it. So much so, my 21 year old brother can just about tell you the plot of the episode, if not the title, within a minute of the show starting.

No way will I vote any other show as the best ever.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

That's an interesting subtext/context for people in "our age demographic" ... when options were more limited and communal viewing was more common, there were head-to-head network schedules that a family or group of friends watched regularly on specific nights, meaning you probably didn't consume shows on a different network. Sometimes you could get creative and shift from the first hour on, say, ABC, then go to NBC, then back, or some combination.

Syndication (and then cable and video) opened some retrospective options, of course.

(I could go on, but you know what I mean)

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
If someone told me before tournament began that "Gilligan's Island" would advance to Elite 8, longer than all but one 2 seed, all the 3's (and the rest), I would've Scoffed Out Loud.

Is it possible the castaways' survival instinct wasn't entirely fictional?

I think Gilligan Island is getting play is because it was on when a lot of kids came home from school. I know we got to watch it and part of Hogan Heroes then had to do chores.

I think the 1st episode of Hogan Heroes might have been on the other night. They had a factory down in the tunnel and a lot of extra characters not seen in most of them. It was also in black and white. It was a little edgier than later episodes. It was a good watch though.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Most-notable seeding upsets, by round, through Sweet 16.

(Minimum requirement: Difference of at least 4 seed lines).

Round of 64:
(13) Malcolm in the Middle over (4) Sanford and Son
(12) The Cosby Show over (5) Laverne & Shirley
(11) Newhart over (6) Roseanne

Round of 32:
(10) Parks and Recreation over (2) Friends
(7) Gilligan’s Island over (2) The Mary Tyler Moore Show

Sweet 16:
(10) Parks and Recreation over (3) Happy Days
(6) Home Improvement over (2) Taxi
(7) Gilligan’s F****ing Island over (3) Arrested Development