Gamblin…Smoke and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
First off…. this is total BS that this was only done in the state of Iowa.

Second…. it’s also total BS that the coaches won’t find out the punishment until almost July, right?

I don’t understand any of this?

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
First off…. this is total BS that this was only done in the state of Iowa.

Second…. it’s also total BS that the coaches won’t find out the punishment until almost July, right?

I don’t understand any of this?
Well, the Iowa baseball players got yanked and never saw the field again. So I guess don't do something you were told not to do.

• Agree
Reactions: ljm4cy

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
The players needed for a point shaving scheme are the high profile guys who are already making hundreds of thousands in NIL. A backup LB on the take isn't going to be able to really affect the outcome of a game.

And where are your examples of elite, highly paid athletes getting paid to tank games? Are we talking about the Black Sox in like 1919 or maybe Art Schlichter?

Point shaving has to be kept under the radar or the whole thing collapses. Huge bets on odd games tips off handicappers who then flag those games as potentially suspect.

In all the publicized NCAA point shaving scams in the past, the players involved were paid very little (by design) and never what was promised because the wise guys wanted all the money for themselves.

The players in some cases really needed the money and in some were just greedy. But none of them had the kind of bank that players now have due to NIL.

As for you saying most aren't getting substantial NIL money, I guess that depends on one's definition of substantial. I consider tens of thousands substantial. The best players on all teams teams make way more than that.

And they're not going to risk all that and more on some halfbaked point shaving scheme that doesn't guarantee them any money.

Is this you Jamaal Tinsley?

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Cousin’s coworker knows someone who’s a big donor and told them so
guess-its-pretty-serious-simone-adamley.gif

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Anyone else find it ironic that these rules are supposedly in place to protect the integrity of the game so that gamblers have confidence in a fair outcome and that bets are not influenced by inside information. Yet based on this information that is not yet released, I have placed a wager on the Under for # of wins for ISU this year.
As others have pointed out, with the advent of NIL, things like point shaving and fixing games are essentially a thing of the past.

Understand rules are rules, but it seems this situation is highlighting the need for them to be re-examined.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Anyone else find it ironic that these rules are supposedly in place to protect the integrity of the game so that gamblers have confidence in a fair outcome and that bets are not influenced by inside information. Yet based on this information that is not yet released, I have placed a wager on the Under for # of wins for ISU this year.
As others have pointed out, with the advent of NIL, things like point shaving and fixing games are essentially a thing of the past.

Understand rules are rules, but it seems this situation is highlighting the need for them to be re-examined.
I would say it would be very Iowa St for these players to be dismissed/suspended for the whole season, for doing something that may be completely legal in two years. But I do think leagues are taking this very seriously. Evidenced by the NFL suspending players for multiple games and whole seasons.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I would say it would be very Iowa St for these players to be dismissed/suspended for the whole season, for doing something that may be completely legal in two years. But I do think leagues are taking this very seriously. Evidenced by the NFL suspending players for multiple games and whole seasons.

I don't remember all of the details around it but it feels like the opposite end of how things went for Kansas basketball/Adidas.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Summer classes begin on the 13th or so, guessing more will come out then about wi isn’t in class.
They’re ineligible to the NCAA. I would hope their scholarship isn’t pulled. And transferring won’t save them. I doubt summer classes will make any impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.