306,000 alumni could turn the tide

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
How about if Applebee's creates the "Tamin" burger and gives Tamin a percentage of the "Tamin" sales, I might go eat a "Tamin" at Applebee's?

And I'll buy tickets to ISU athletic events and overpay for concessions.

Otherwise, I'm not giving money to a bunch of pampered athletes. I don't care that much. :confused:
Now spread the thought to Wallaby’s, Maude’s and other areas where the staff takes recruits. Have the recruits see small, yet Fanatic fans

Last edited:

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I get annoyed when food places like Subway ask me to tip for them making a sandwich. This isn't a restaurant where I'm sitting down, being waited on and cooks are involved. I'm not tipping, especially when lunches now cost well over $10 and every place raised their prices substantially. Maybe I'm cheap, but I tip comfortably when necessary. It's almost like they guilt trip you. Am I the only one who feels this way?

I feel that way but then I see a bunch of Karen’s yelling at 16-17 year old kids that are making 10 bucks and hour way too frequently so I usually add $1-$2 because they deserve a lot more money for dealing with these idiots.

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
A large majority of our Alumni have not donated to the school or athletic department or the collective. Tbh I kinda get it because if you aren’t invested in sports beyond a causal level there is pretty much no value proposition in donating. So I wouldn’t even expect to get ever 5% donating regularly. ISU seems to have a either casual fan base (doesn’t seem likely with how bad we are historically) or an exceptionally cheap one.

Edit: I should say I donate only at the lowest level to buy tickets, so I am not excluded from being exceptionally cheap.

Last edited:

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I feel that way but then I see a bunch of Karen’s yelling at 16-17 year old kids that are making 10 bucks and hour way too frequently so I usually add $1-$2 because they deserve a lot more money for dealing with these idiots.
Unfortunately every one of us has to generally deal with Karen’s, Becky’s, and Chads with our jobs. That’s just part of growing up and facing fun people throughout our lives. The people that my wife has to deal with in nursing is mind blowing, but they’re likely the same entitled individuals.

NY Chicago Fan

Mar 17, 2023
I love sports because of competition and have gotten back into following and cheering for ISU. Really more then any pro Teams, partly due to I do not supporting the crazy athlete salaries that are so inflated along with ticket prices. That said I do not think I would ever donate money. ISU is never going to out spend the bigger schools. THis NIL will just increase the total money spent on college sports. There should be far better causes for my money to eventually go to

• Winner
Reactions: flycy

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

Do they though? Learn how to deal with idiots. Make $10 bucks an hour. Seems like a great educational opportunity that pays.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
A large majority of our Alumni have not donated to the school or athletic department or the collective. Tbh I kinda get it because if you aren’t invested in sports beyond a causal level there is pretty much no value proposition in donating. So I wouldn’t even expect to get ever 5% donating regularly. ISU seems to have a either casual fan base (doesn’t seem likely with how bad we are historically) or an exceptionally cheap one.

Edit: I should say I donate only at the lowest level to buy tickets, so I am not excluded from being exceptionally cheap.

Maybe they're smart? They don't see the value of spending their hard earned money on pampered college kids.

Reactions: NoCreativity

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
There are share holders of movie companies that feel it's incumbent on themselves to be the best movie making company.

There are also megafans that will plan a week around the latest Marvel, Star Wars, or LotR screening and have man caves full of swag to show for it.

There are people that enjoy a good movie and will occasionally go out of their way to make it to a theater to see it (but aren't going to bust out the wallet to buy the popcorn and soda).

And there are others that will wait for it to be on Netflix, prime, or TBS.

We probably only have a handful of alumni in category 1 and an overwhelming number in category 4. That's probably normal?

I think what sets us apart from other P5/P6 fan bases is that we also have more alumni in category 3 than 2.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I'm fine with people not donating but you expect these NIL Collectives to not actively seek out donations? It's not like they're calling your personal phone are they?
The moment there is legal room for ad's to start sharing your info they will.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Let WeWill sell beer at the games. WeWill get drunk on 10 dollar Busch Lites.
I brought something like this up and of course someone told me it's not possible, for a few different reasons. My idea was that they distribute beer at tailgates. Make it known that they have the supply so you just bring your cooler and ice and buy the beer there with all of the proceeds going to WeWill. It was a 1/4 baked idea but I know that when I was tailgating every weekend, I would have certainly done that. Pile on top of that the likelihood of companies wanting in on that marketing action, I thought there was money there. Like I said, though, there were numerous reasons this couldn't happen.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Maybe the laziest and worst generalization I have read to support not giving.

Doesn’t really matter does it? There are a million reasons not to and I’m not really sure what the reasons are to donate? Did this help us last year in football? What about basketball this year? Where’s the data on the effects of this kind of charity?

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Unfortunately every one of us has to generally deal with Karen’s, Becky’s, and Chads with our jobs. That’s just part of growing up and facing fun people throughout our lives. The people that my wife has to deal with in nursing is mind blowing, but they’re likely the same entitled individuals.

I never had anything close to what pops up on the YouTubes. Some asshats, but nothing extreme.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Doesn’t really matter does it? There are a million reasons not to and I’m not really sure what the reasons are to donate? Did this help us last year in football? What about basketball this year? Where’s the data on the effects of this kind of charity?
You are missing the point. Why are our participation rates the lowest in the Big 12. Everyone fully understands there are a thousand reasons, but why are we last? I don't have the answer, but we have been consistent.

I would suggest you look at our overall athletic performance prior to the year 2000 for the previous three or four decades. You can see the direct results of a non-giving culture to Athletics.

Reactions: State2015

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
We Will wasn't even prepared to do anything until after football season. We know it helped keep TJ Tampa here. We will see how it helps during transfer season. I'm not sure what data you want or will get. We also know it setup Gabe with a charity that he now goes and spends time there outside of anything to do with We Will.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
We Will wasn't even prepared to do anything until after football season. We know it helped keep TJ Tampa here. We will see how it helps during transfer season. I'm not sure what data you want or will get. We also know it setup Gabe with a charity that he now goes and spends time there outside of anything to do with We Will.
How about Isaiah Lee and helping him with expenses to raise his little sister? There are many other stories, but if you're looking for reasons not to give you won't focus on these. I agree with you.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron