Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
UCLA in 2020-2021
I guess the thing I don't like is it seems almost always 1 of the teams seems to gain momentum from a win and go onto win at least another if not more. Kind of an unfair advantage but I love basketball and if it's not Iowa suffering from this I won't complain

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I guess the thing I don't like is it seems almost always 1 of the teams seems to gain momentum from a win and go onto win at least another if not more. Kind of an unfair advantage but I love basketball and if it's not Iowa suffering from this I won't complain
Double edged sword. If you win, then yes you could have a little momentum, but you also have a little bit more tired legs and another day of travel to get to the first round game. I would say it is a net disadvantage to play in the First Four.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Double edged sword. If you win, then yes you could have a little momentum, but you also have a little bit more tired legs and another day of travel to get to the first round game. I would say it is a net disadvantage to play in the First Four.
It is as a whole because you could lose but I actually think it gives the winner a better advantage in their next game than they would of had but that's just my opinion and I can understand your point too.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
Field of 68 with 64 teams that get a bye? Because that’s literally what it is. You’re in the tournament that’s no question but you can’t pretend to think it’s the same thing as making the field of 64.

Making the First Four requires you to play a game to get you into the field. Your name isn’t solidified in the bracket until you win.
Why can’t he pretend to think it is the same?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Two first four teams have went on to the Final Four. Wonder how long it will be before one of them win the whole thing.
Considering that there has only ever been one 8 seed champion, one 7 seed champion, one 6 seed champion and one 4 seed champion out of 37 tournaments since it expanded to 64 teams, I'm thinking that it probably isn't happening any time soon. Almost 2/3 of the champions during that time have been 1 seeds.

• Informative
Reactions: GoHawks

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
They’ve got 3 cupcakes left lol. They play 3 teams that are all multiple games below .500 (Minnesota, OSU, Nebraska).

I think Iowa has to get to 19 wins to at least make the play in game. I don’t think 18 is a lock.
Are we sure about this? Bracketology during Iowa/Purdue game last night (can't remember whose) had them as a 6 seed. It was probably Andy Katz and his Big 10 bias I suppose. A 6 seed though is pretty far from bubble talk

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Why would ESPN stop showing them? They literally own almost all of the non-NY 6 bowls.

EDIT: Okay, they actually own outright 17 bowl games, which is almost half; but Disney/ESPN holds the TV rights to all but three bowl games.

That's my point. Herbie is talking against too many bowls/marginal teams while ESPN helped to create the situation.

If he's so against it, he could suggest that ESPN stop showing them.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Are we sure about this? Bracketology during Iowa/Purdue game last night (can't remember whose) had them as a 6 seed. It was probably Andy Katz and his Big 10 bias I suppose. A 6 seed though is pretty far from bubble talk
I think that was Lunardi. He's been pretty bad at seeding them is what I've been told. He had them at a 6 today still after the loss.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
I think that was Lunardi. He's been pretty bad at seeding them is what I've been told. He had them at a 6 today still after the loss.
Lunardi is one of the worst bracket projectors. I don’t what site it is that tanks them but I’m fairly certain he is usually near the bottom. Not sure how he still has a job when so many are better than him.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Lunardi is one of the worst bracket projectors. I don’t what site it is that tanks them but I’m fairly certain he is usually near the bottom. Not sure how he still has a job when so many are better than him.

He's loud and has a cartoonish personality like Kiper and the draft.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Do you count Wild Card victories as Playoff victories?
I'm pretty sure wild card teams are playing teams that aren't wildcard teams in the wild card games in both the NFL and MLB playoff format. If they are just playing another wild card team - like a MLB game 163 - that isn't part of the playoffs but rather a play in game and not a playoff victory.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron