Iowa Football Recruiting

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Lachey is an NFL TE. 6'6 252 with long arms and a good athlete. NFL bloodlines and Iowa churns out TEs. He will put up big numbers the next two years.

Just to me, he's Chase Allen. Borderline NFL player that could make a roster for a few years.

• Agree
Reactions: MyNameEhJeff

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I think a big reason as to why Iowa's 8-4 instead of 10-2 is because they played Ohio State and Michigan this year. Last year and this year Iowa are not that different. If Iowa plays Michigan State and Indiana instead of the best teams in the conference, we're looking at a very similar season.
First of all, Iowa is 7-5. Second of all, the 2021 Hawks were coming off of six straight wins in dominating fashion from the 2020 Covid season and then won their first six straight in 2021. Then the wheels fell off. Not sure what the hell happened to them since they beat PSU, but since then they haven't been anywhere close to the same team they were in that 12 game stretch.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
If Iowa could grab Cade MacNamara, that would probably make them pretty good next year with what they have coming back,
I bet he looks hard at it. Big Ten school, no competition for the starting role, etc.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Lachey is an NFL TE. 6'6 252 with long arms and a good athlete. NFL bloodlines and Iowa churns out TEs. He will put up big numbers the next two years.
I actually could see next year being his last before a mid round pick. I'm high on him. He's a better nfl prospect than LaPorta imo

• Agree
Reactions: 7Got6

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
First of all, Iowa is 7-5. Second of all, the 2021 Hawks were coming off of six straight wins in dominating fashion from the 2020 Covid season and then won their first six straight in 2021. Then the wheels fell off. Not sure what the hell happened to them since they beat PSU, but since then they haven't been anywhere close to the same team they were in that 12 game stretch.
Iowa rattled off 6 victories against absolute putrid opponents in 2020. The only team that had a winning record that Iowa beat was Wisconsin at 4-3. Lol

"The wheels fell off" after beating a mediocre Penn State team? You went and played two teams who Iowa usually struggles against - Purdue and Wisconsin. Then Iowa rattled off 4 more wins in a row against 3 poor teams and 1 average team. To round it out, Iowa loses two straight to good teams.

Iowa's offense wasn't good in 2020 and it wasn't good in 2021 either. Yes the offense is worse but it's not that much worse. It really isn't. The only difference is you're losing games now because of it to teams you've usually beaten. Like ISU's worst team in 6 years. When Iowa was winning these close games by their defense and special teams scoring all the points, it was a running joke by even Iowa fans saying "punting is winning" and stuff along those lines. It's finally caught up to them somewhat. The fact that Iowa won even 7 games this year is more due to the fact that they play in the worst division in CFB.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

Iowa's success or lack of is very schedule dependent. Their style plays exceptionally well in the Big Ten West. Credit to KF to some degree for doing what generally wins against his divisional competition.

That being said, Petras and Padilla were soooo bad it became hard to overcome. Also the Nebraska game was bit of a head scratcher. A very turnover prone team would seemingly play right into Iowa's defense's hands but the Nebraska receivers cooked one of the better secondary's in college football. Iowa caught some great breaks to win that Minnesota game but it was certainly fools gold.

It's interesting to me Iowa fans are so excited about the new TV deal and USC/UCLA adds. Seems good from a financial perspective but won't be protected by the weak division anymore. Iowa is probably the 6th best team in the conference and just had to beat a 3-8 team to make the conference title game! That is nuts.

Reactions: exCYtable

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Iowa rattled off 6 victories against absolute putrid opponents in 2020. The only team that had a winning record that Iowa beat was Wisconsin at 4-3. Lol

"The wheels fell off" after beating a mediocre Penn State team? You went and played two teams who Iowa usually struggles against - Purdue and Wisconsin. Then Iowa rattled off 4 more wins in a row against 3 poor teams and 1 average team. To round it out, Iowa loses two straight to good teams.

Iowa's offense wasn't good in 2020 and it wasn't good in 2021 either. Yes the offense is worse but it's not that much worse. It really isn't. The only difference is you're losing games now because of it to teams you've usually beaten. Like ISU's worst team in 6 years. When Iowa was winning these close games by their defense and special teams scoring all the points, it was a running joke by even Iowa fans saying "punting is winning" and stuff along those lines. It's finally caught up to them somewhat. The fact that Iowa won even 7 games this year is more due to the fact that they play in the worst division in CFB.
Iowa's offense and OL was historically bad this year compared to 2021, not sure what else to tell you. The 2021 Iowa team would beat this year's Iowa team by a lot.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Very true. Frankly since Brian was hired the OL play has been mostly mediocre with a few individual stars like Linderbaum and Wirfs propping up an otherwise bad unit. Based on the inexperience they certainly should get better to some extent next year. But the days of Iowa developing dominant OLs are over. Now they are pretty much like most teams, having to recruit their way to good OLs. Fortunately for them there are still the occasional Iowa kids that are good that don't realize the detailed, technically obsessed architect of those OLs is long gone.
Who was the line coach before BF?

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009

In 2020 that offensive line was solid. It's been a steep fall from that point up front. I understand the weak competition part in 2020 but what was impressive with that team is we were dominant at times on both sides. I'd disagree that the offense wasn't good in 2020. 2020 offense is my realistic goal for a Ferentz led offense. It will never be statically great though

• Agree
Reactions: 7Got6

DunkeyFeller

May 22, 2022
In 2020 that offensive line was solid. It's been a steep fall from that point up front. I understand the weak competition part in 2020 but what was impressive with that team is we were dominant at times on both sides. I'd disagree that the offense wasn't good in 2020. 2020 offense is my realistic goal for a Ferentz led offense. It will never be statically great though
There’s no excuse for that 2020 offense not being better than it was. Two very solid receivers, good TE core, a solid RB duo, and a good offensive line. QB play held that team back.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm not familiar with this story? He seemed like a very likable guy
Downing, iirc, was talking to him and said he wanted to go into Ag. Reese told him that his in-laws or something were farmers and no farmers have college degrees and if he want to go into ag he just needs to follow a farmer around for a bit to learn it.

Pretty insulting to farmers in Iowa. But hey, they got a nifty sticker on their helmet.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
There’s no excuse for that 2020 offense not being better than it was. Two very solid receivers, good TE core, a solid RB duo, and a good offensive line. QB play held that team back.
It was still light years ahead of past couple but yes quarterback was still the downfall then too

Reactions: DunkeyFeller

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
The Cade McNamara stuff to Iowa seems like an absolute pipe dream for the Hoks. Why on earth would one of the nation's top QB transfers want to go to the worst offense in D1? It makes zero sense. Especially with the news that Arlan Bruce is probably on his way out and so is Keegan Johnson and their #1 OL recruit is no longer firmly entrenched. I just don't get it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron