Iowa Football Recruiting

Ayagi

Sep 27, 2021
He 100% is considering Iowa. Multiple local and national reporters have mentioned Iowa, as have Michigan writers.
Glad he's not 85% considering Iowa. That's sure a relief. Regardless of his "consideration percentage", his "actual attendance percentage" is somehow even lower than the IQ of the average Hawk troll ( which runs about 25).

• Haha
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Is there a connection to McNamara? Otherwise why would he choose Iowa of all places? I'm guessing he will have a pretty big list of suitors. Sure the starting job would be his but why would he want to play in that offense?
The guy they hired as an analyst recruited Cade’s brother to Colorado State so he knows the family.

• Informative
Reactions: GoHawks

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Who knows how good Lachey ends up being. From watching him he actually seems to be solid but is behind a guy who's a stud. I'd give both TE's passes (no pun intended) in just how horrible the scheme/execution of the offense as well as QB play was this year.

I'm not going to dog on Lachey because his stats aren't good. Other Iowa TE's haven't had great stats and they still make the league. If there's one thing that Iowa is really good at it's their TE recruiting and development.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY and isucy86

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Deshawn Hanika had more TDs on less receptions and averaged .1 YPR less than Lachey. So I have to assume you would say Hanika is a future pro too then, right?
He might be, I watched some of the TCU game and he made a couple of very impressive receptions. The TD catch was one of the best I've ever seen from a TE.

Reactions: Statefan10

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Who knows how good Lachey ends up being. From watching him he actually seems to be solid but is behind a guy who's a stud. I'd give both TE's passes (no pun intended) in just how horrible the scheme/execution of the offense as well as QB play was this year.

I'm not going to dog on Lachey because his stats aren't good. Other Iowa TE's haven't had great stats and they still make the league. If there's one thing that Iowa is really good at it's their TE recruiting and development.
Just from watching maybe 3 iowa games, Lachey is a fine TE. He's not nearly as mobile or fast as LaPorta. I personally wouldn't see him as an NFL TE, but maybe his blocking will get him there...I didn't watch close enough to know that.

Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
He might be, I watched some of the TCU game and he made a couple of very impressive receptions. The TD catch was one of the best I've ever seen from a TE.
The fact that we didn't split him out this year while in the red zone is criminal imo.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
They’d been 10-2 this year with even a below average offense vs the hot dumpster fire they rolled out this year. O line you can see improving with basically Sophomores and Freshmen getting the lions share of snaps. Hopefully Proctor stays on board. He’d be an immediate upgrade at one of the tackle positions. Add in another portal guy on the line with Proctor and they can get back to at least a top 100 offense with someone like McNamara. So no, McNamara himself isn’t going to fix the offense but an undeniable significant upgrade at the most important position would be a great start.
I think counting on a true Fr. to play Tackle is a huge ask, even for a guy as massive and talented as Proctor. He has a HUGE adjustment. It's really hard for ready-made HS Tackles to adjust. When you watch him play he just stands straight up and starts pushing guys around because, well, he can. I'm sure he'll get up to speed pretty quickly, and he's an incredible talent, but I think Tackle is probably the biggest adjustment, even moreso than QB for a HS kid to make, especially one playing in a smaller state that isn't facing D1 guys each week.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86 and Gonzo

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
They’d been 10-2 this year with even a below average offense vs the hot dumpster fire they rolled out this year. O line you can see improving with basically Sophomores and Freshmen getting the lions share of snaps. Hopefully Proctor stays on board. He’d be an immediate upgrade at one of the tackle positions. Add in another portal guy on the line with Proctor and they can get back to at least a top 100 offense with someone like McNamara. So no, McNamara himself isn’t going to fix the offense but an undeniable significant upgrade at the most important position would be a great start.
I think a big reason as to why Iowa's 8-4 instead of 10-2 is because they played Ohio State and Michigan this year. Last year and this year Iowa are not that different. If Iowa plays Michigan State and Indiana instead of the best teams in the conference, we're looking at a very similar season.

Edit: Forgot Iowa is 7-5.

Last edited:

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I think a big reason as to why Iowa's 8-4 instead of 10-2 is because they played Ohio State and Michigan this year. Last year and this year Iowa are not that different. If Iowa plays Michigan State and Indiana instead of the best teams in the conference, we're looking at a very similar season.
Aside from Linderbaum, last year's OL play was bad. This year's OL play was historically bad. Last year's offense was inept. This year's offense was historically inept. I don't think IU or MSU would've been anywhere near "for sure" wins this year, and probably would've been likely losses.

Reactions: 7Got6 and 1776

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Aside from Linderbaum, last year's OL play was bad. This year's OL play was historically bad. Last year's offense was inept. This year's offense was historically inept. I don't think IU or MSU would've been anywhere near "for sure" wins this year, and instead would've been likely losses.
I don't know if likely losses, more 50/50 though. And those two teams stink. I think this year's defense is also slightly better than last year's. My main point was that the two teams are not that much different.

And if last year's team would've played Ohio State and Michigan it would've been two more losses in the conference.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Can both the Hawkeye & Cyclone fanbases stop with the could have, would have projections if our teams had a little offense! They both "are who we thought they were". Aka flawed teams whose records reflect how they played over the course of 12 games.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Aside from Linderbaum, last year's OL play was bad. This year's OL play was historically bad. Last year's offense was inept. This year's offense was historically inept. I don't think IU or MSU would've been anywhere near "for sure" wins this year, and probably would've been likely losses.
Very true. Frankly since Brian was hired the OL play has been mostly mediocre with a few individual stars like Linderbaum and Wirfs propping up an otherwise bad unit. Based on the inexperience they certainly should get better to some extent next year. But the days of Iowa developing dominant OLs are over. Now they are pretty much like most teams, having to recruit their way to good OLs. Fortunately for them there are still the occasional Iowa kids that are good that don't realize the detailed, technically obsessed architect of those OLs is long gone.

• Disagree
Reactions: Halincandenza