Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Scouting report to beat Iowa,

1. Play very physical defense. Iowa doesn't like the physical contact style of play. (not a new thing)
2. Get back on transition defense. Don't let them run.
3. Chase them off the 3pt line. Don't give uncontested looks.
4. Limit fouling them. Keep them off the free throw line.
5. Rebound the ball on both ends.
Seems like a scouting report for any team.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Chad says to "chalk it up to an off night" for Iowa.

And one of the better replies:

It is always shocking to see how year after year a D1 program can have so many weak, soft kids. Most of their players have arms that look like a bunch of 12 year olds. It’s like Fran is some HS coach in the 1990s arguing with the football coach because he doesn’t want the kids lifting weights because it will wreck their shots.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Will have problems against size and athletes sounds problematic.
As long as the schools they play don’t prioritize recruiting tall athletes they will be fine.

Thankfully all those tall athletes get pigeon holed into other high school sports.

Reactions: Acylum

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Chad says to "chalk it up to an off night" for Iowa.

And one of the better replies:

'Off night' but they got out muscled? I suppose they might do OK in conference if the B1G is the same last year.

But the evidence is there that they once again can't handle a team guarding them and making them guard.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Fran just needs a little more time to get his system in place.

Maybe another extension to help solidify the recruiting trail might get them over the hump.
How do we know he didn't get one after the Seton Hall game? Barta likes to give away money in stealth mode. He probably heard that Grandview was sniffing around and wanted to nip it in the bud.

• Haha
Reactions: RezClone

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
It is always shocking to see how year after year a D1 program can have so many weak, soft kids. Most of their players have arms that look like a bunch of 12 year olds. It’s like Fran is some HS coach in the 1990s arguing with the football coach because he doesn’t want the kids lifting weights because it will wreck their shots.
Not to worry. Help is on the way.

big.jpeg

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Silly things can happen on the road in a rivalry. It’ll be their season while ISU will already have several elite non conf wins going into another year in the by far toughest conference.
I know you are an NBA guy, can you please check the schedule and make sure the "Better Murray" has a game when we play them? I would hate for him to be tempted to come back and pretend to be his brother. jimlad

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Scouting report to beat Iowa,

1. Play very physical defense. Iowa doesn't like the physical contact style of play. (not a new thing)
2. Get back on transition defense. Don't let them run.
3. Chase them off the 3pt line. Don't give uncontested looks.
4. Limit fouling them. Keep them off the free throw line.
5. Rebound the ball on both ends.

*Don't fall into their 'tough guy' schtick.

Reactions: VeloClone

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas

Had to laugh at this...although..that is partly true. but only on the same day. haha.

YOu cannot lift same day you play bball. other than that you are right and I laughed my a ss off reading it.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
As far as Iowa game itself... Fran will be working refs all game. From opening tip he will be calling for fouls.

Like I said...This is same Iowa team as last year basically without NPOY and Iowa all time 3pt and assist leader.

They have no depth inside...none.

Sandfort has been bad this year shooting. If Sandfort isn't hitting 3's then KM is only other kid that will consistently.

Only way I see Iowa winning this game is 2 things:

1- They shoot 25+ FT's (possible bc in Iowa city and Fran)
2- They hit 10-12+ threes.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Had to laugh at this...although..that is partly true. but only on the same day. haha.

YOu cannot lift same day you play bball. other than that you are right and I laughed my a ss off reading it.

This is some 80s/90s theory going on here in itself. It can be situational dependent, but teams/players lift on game days.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
It was funny to watch Fran’s random rotations in that second half vs TCU when they got their doors blown off. His 2nd best and only physical player Perkins was on the bench for an extended run while he’s putting odd combinations of Dix, Sandfort, Ogundele and Connor out there, topped off with Mulvey running up and down chasing TCU’s bigs for a brief spell. It was cover your eyes bad.

As opposed to this board freaking out, myself included, when TJ went 3 minutes vs Nova with Lipsey, Grill, Watson, Kunc and Bob Jones.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I know you are an NBA guy, can you please check the schedule and make sure the "Better Murray" has a game when we play them? I would hate for him to be tempted to come back and pretend to be his brother. jimlad

Better Murray has had a few good games but he's already had a bunch of "just another guy" games.

Reactions: exCYtable

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron