***#9 Iowa State vs. California Baptist; Grand View Open; Luther Open***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Redding has a higher ceiling than Ramazan, but Ramazan does everything right off the mat and would never put out a performance like that. Just a pitiful effort out of 125 and 133 tonight

• Agree
Reactions: BigD

Cyowa 14

Iowa State Class of 2014
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
I just don’t understand Terukina
On a positive note, he usually waits until the last 2 weeks to fall off a cliff. Maybe he will get these out of the way and finish the year strong

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
On a recruiting note, saw the Fox boys from Osage?? were here.

Also talked with Sawyer Bartlett from Florida & new verbal Herrera from California at social & saw them after the dual & chatted for a little bit. Welcome to Iowa weather

Wow Bartlett would be a great get. What do you think our chances are?

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Swiderski is so much fun to watch. I made sure to tell my wife to pay close attention right away because he’s electric. He absolutely did not disappoint.

Yonger was strong out of the gate too. Looked like he was trying for more turns.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
GRAND VIEW OPEN - IOWA STATE PLACINGS

Fresh/Soph Division

125 - Ethan Perryman, 1st
133 - Evan Frost, 2nd
133 - Sam Hrabovsky, DNP
141 - Jacob Frost, 1st
141 - Drew Woodley, 2nd
141 - Damon Huston, 5th
157 - Andrew Huddleston, 1st
174 - Manny Rojas, 1st
174 - Caleb Helgeson, 2nd
184 - Cody Fisher, 1st
197 - Rowan Udell, 2nd

Open Division
125 - Conor Knopick, 2nd
149 - Cam Robinson, 1st
149 - Andrew Flora, 6th
165 - Grant Stotts, 1st
165 - Carter Schmidt, 2nd
174 - Joel Devine, 1st

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Grades:
125: F. As Dresser said in the presser, Kysen needs to do the little things right off the mat to reach his potential. If he doesn't it will continue to be a roller coaster season.

133: F. Same comments as 125, except it is a tougher cut for him to make 133 which means he needs to be even more stringent with his habits outside of the practice room.

141: A-. Only reason it isn't an A is he gave up the first takedown and Dresser mentioned him post dual about also needing to make sure he is doing the right things outside of the room. Sounds like it was a bad cut for Casey, and he had the benefit of not being one of the first guys to wrestle on the mat.

149: A-. Once Paniro decided to use his blast double instead of trying to get a low single, he was able to finish much easier. Really encouraging post meet comments from Dresser saying that Paniro is buying in and doing everything right. Keep that up and he's going to keep becoming more and more dangerous. Also extremely encouraging that we haven't seen gas tank issues yet this season.

157: A+. Solid match from Kraisser and he even got a spladle in there! He's a funky guy and glad he finally got in the win column this year. Still going to be curious to see how the competition plays out between him and Judge.

165: A. Only reason it isn't an A+ is Carr let the guy get to his leg once and that is more than what should ever happen with that level of wrestler. Still a dominant performance from the leader of this team.

174: A. Nice to see some leg attacks from Julien that have been missing the early part of his career. Really solid match from him. With Gaitan likely going to redshirt, I am curious to see how the battle between Julien and Joel plays out in the coming months.

184: C-. Marcus should be teching or pinning that kid every match. Looked like he had a tough cut or something that affected his energy as well, but unlike 125 and 133, Marcus has proven he knows what it takes to be an elite college wrestler. He will be fine.

197: A+. Elite match from Yonger, and (even though Casey is pushing him) he continues to be the most exciting guy on the team to watch. If the ref was not the slowest backpoints counter I have ever seen, he might even have gotten some backpoints on tilts. His conditioning looks improved this year.

Hwt: A+. Really solid match from Sam and was just a much better wrestler than the Cal Baptist kid. Sam appears to have taken a step forward from last season which is needed if this team wants to contend for top 10 in March

Overall, get the weight and habits under control at 125, 133, and 141 and we will be just fine. As Crabs said, not going to over react to an early season bad cut and hopefully it is motivation for 125 and 133 moving forward.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Grades:
125: F. As Dresser said in the presser, Kysen needs to do the little things right off the mat to reach his potential. If he doesn't it will continue to be a roller coaster season.

133: F. Same comments as 125, except it is a tougher cut for him to make 133 which means he needs to be even more stringent with his habits outside of the practice room.

141: A-. Only reason it isn't an A is he gave up the first takedown and Dresser mentioned him post dual about also needing to make sure he is doing the right things outside of the room. Sounds like it was a bad cut for Casey, and he had the benefit of not being one of the first guys to wrestle on the mat.

149: A-. Once Paniro decided to use his blast double instead of trying to get a low single, he was able to finish much easier. Really encouraging post meet comments from Dresser saying that Paniro is buying in and doing everything right. Keep that up and he's going to keep becoming more and more dangerous. Also extremely encouraging that we haven't seen gas tank issues yet this season.

157: A+. Solid match from Kraisser and he even got a spladle in there! He's a funky guy and glad he finally got in the win column this year. Still going to be curious to see how the competition plays out between him and Judge.

165: A. Only reason it isn't an A+ is Carr let the guy get to his leg once and that is more than what should ever happen with that level of wrestler. Still a dominant performance from the leader of this team.

174: A. Nice to see some leg attacks from Julien that have been missing the early part of his career. Really solid match from him. With Gaitan likely going to redshirt, I am curious to see how the battle between Julien and Joel plays out in the coming months.

184: C-. Marcus should be teching or pinning that kid every match. Looked like he had a tough cut or something that affected his energy as well, but unlike 125 and 133, Marcus has proven he knows what it takes to be an elite college wrestler. He will be fine.

197: A+. Elite match from Yonger, and (even though Casey is pushing him) he continues to be the most exciting guy on the team to watch. If the ref was not the slowest backpoints counter I have ever seen, he might even have gotten some backpoints on tilts. His conditioning looks improved this year.

Hwt: A+. Really solid match from Sam and was just a much better wrestler than the Cal Baptist kid. Sam appears to have taken a step forward from last season which is needed if this team wants to contend for top 10 in March

Overall, get the weight and habits under control at 125, 133, and 141 and we will be just fine. As Crabs said, not going to over react to an early season bad cut and hopefully it is motivation for 125 and 133 moving forward.
I sat by the bench and as Marcus was walking back to the locker room, he mentioned he was “really tired” so I think your points about it being a tough cut make sense. I know he was disappointed with himself after his match so hopefully this motivates him.

• Informative
Reactions: BigD and stuclone

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I think this is a tough match to get motivated for. Since it was at 8 PM and coming off the big Wisconsin win, I bet some guys thought they could cut corners and still beat these guys.

Also with it being cold, it is tough to not lay around all day and be lazy.

Good wake up call for the guys. Dresser said there will be some ups and downs. This was a down for Kysen, Zach and Marcus

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I sat by the bench and as Marcus was walking back to the locker room, he mentioned he was “really tired” so I think your points about it being a tough cut make sense. I know he was disappointed with himself after his match so hopefully this motivates him.

Dresser said afterwards that Marcus came off the mat and said he felt like crap. Said he had to cut some weight, so that had an effect on him.

• Informative
Reactions: BigD and GMackey32