Another Manning S^*T sandwich

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
IMO the best moves for ISU to make would be to get rid of Myers and Joel Gordon, move Manning to OL coach, Scheelhouse to QB coach (maybe give him a shot at OC?), then bring in a WR coach and RB coach. Or, since Scheelhouse is working with WRs and RBs now, bring in a coach who can do both and then, for the love of God, we’d be able to hire a special teams coach

You guys and your obsession with a special teams coach.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Ya I mean look how awesome we are without one.
You guys make it sound like no coaches are coaching special teams.

Whether its a dedicated coach or the current setup, the amount of time dedicated at each practice isn't changing.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Which warning signs are you referring too? I don't see anything that similar here....just some circumstantial events at best. Let's see:

1. A fanatical desire to continue to use a game plan that repeatedly does not work.
2. Claiming being good at fundamentals and minimizing mistakes is the key to winning, then never executing on these claims.
3. Completely unwilling to make any in-game adjustments.
4. Lashing out at the fans when events go awry.
5. Presenting the key value of caring about players as a top priority yet events during certain games seems to contradict this value.
6. Being perceived as above any criticism for past accomplishments. Any wording of any sort of questions or criticisms are attacked with the mentality that the coach moves in mysterious ways, just give them time, or we could be a lot worse, we've been worse in the past do you want to return to that?
7. Wins turning to close loses, close losses accumulating, defended by saying we are almost there.
8. Having the greatest amount of professional talent in the history of the team and underperforming.
9. One word: Nepotism

Again, I am sure this is just circumstantial, just give it time and all will be well.
Good post. Perhaps you mean cronyism here, vs. nepotism?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Our receivers seem not to get separation against tight/man coverage. They can appear open against zone, but Dekkers has a problem with not seeing zone defenders. Feels like nearly all of his INTs have come against zone D, he can't seem to figure out how to beat it. That makes the defense's job pretty easy.

In a way, I don't blame Manning all that much given the tools he has to work with. What offense do you go with when you can't run the ball, your WRs and TEs don't block well, average talent at pretty much all skill positions, and a QB who isn't overly accurate or a great decision maker?

That sounds like a whole lotta' nothing to work with. We beat this in the past with superior skill position talent. The core issue related to almost all of the others is unfortunately the OL.
Indeed, to summarize this, it just seems like we don't have the horses to run the system the coaches want to run.

This still falls on the coaches though. Play to your teams strengths, and if you can't discover what those are, you are in the wrong profession.

Hearken back to 2014-2015 teams. Those were still teams coached by Rhoads, and they were lean obviously, but the team had a great running back and developed a blocking scheme that allowed him to consistently run for 100+ yards week in and week out, and they were efficient yards, not just heavy quantity of touches yards. I am obviously talking about Mike Warren.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Ok the offense and Manning are not good, but you sound stupid as hell.

Let me know how many Big 12 games Rhoads and co. won. Let me know how many times he went .500 or better in conference play. Let me know about the stellar bowl games Rhoads got his teams into. I’m sure he got us to plenty of Fiesta, Alamo and Camping World Bowls against the likes of…checks notes…Clemson, Notre Dame and Oregon. Meanwhile Rhoads was busy losing to Tulsa and Rutgers in bowl games.

Dear God please stop talking.
I like reading your posts. And I agree with most of this also.

Folks have the right to post their opinions though, including ML. It is a message board. He knows he is not always right on stuff. Same with me, you. We can probably leave it at that.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020

Whether its a dedicated coach or the current setup, the amount of time dedicated at each practice isn't changing.
well the fact that they continue to suck, should tell you that if any of our staff are focusing on it, they're clearly not doing it enough or well

Reactions: tman24

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
IMO the best moves for ISU to make would be to get rid of Myers and Joel Gordon, move Manning to OL coach, Scheelhouse to QB coach (maybe give him a shot at OC?), then bring in a WR coach and RB coach. Or, since Scheelhouse is working with WRs and RBs now, bring in a coach who can do both and then, for the love of God, we’d be able to hire a special teams coach
It's in Campbell's head now, that the fans and media want a special teams coach. Knowing this and knowing the ego and stubbornness of the man in charge, I put the odds of ever having a ST coach while Matt is in Ames at <10%.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldCy and joefrog

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Indeed, to summarize this, it just seems like we don't have the horses to run the system the coaches want to run.

This still falls on the coaches though. Play to your teams strengths, and if you can't discover what those are, you are in the wrong profession.

Hearken back to 2014-2015 teams. Those were still teams coached by Rhoads, and they were lean obviously, but the team had a great running back and developed a blocking scheme that allowed him to consistently run for 100+ yards week in and week out, and they were efficient yards, not just heavy quantity of touches yards. I am obviously talking about Mike Warren.
Based on what I've seen this year, albeit limited, I'm not even sure what this team's strengths offensively really are. There's been a major lack of talent development, primarily at the OL level, interfering with all other parts of the team. It's just too many holes to fill.

Again, you're right, that comes down to coaching at the end of the day. Change needs made here, both in staff and in overall approach. QB coaching is part of this too -- Dekkers does not look like a guy in his 3rd year of the system.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

If it isn't coaching or lack thereof for ST woes, then what is it? You can't tell me personnel.

Walkons and freshmen have given us good if not great ST over the years (pre-Campbell era).

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

Dedicated coach or not, they have been terrible and have gotten worse. To me, being stubborn and not changing your ST approach or scheme is a bigger deal than hiring/firing coaches who suck at their job at this level. It’s scary that Campbell apparently thinks they are pretty good at it with his comments a week or two ago.

I’m pretty terrified after listening to Bruns’ podcast that our approach to the OL and offense is predictable, bad fundamentals, and we have an apparent unwillingness to change. Until Campbell addresses those issues, it doesn’t matter who the OC is.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Well if there are coaches 'coaching' special teams, they aren't doing a very special job:

View attachment 104834

At the rate of decline, we may hit 130 next yr!!

I think sooner or later you just figure out a way to not have special teams. Use those schollies for somebody else.

I suppose you have to be able to kick off, but everything else is just optional, right?

• Disagree
Reactions: MyNameEhJeff

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Dedicated coach or not, they have been terrible and have gotten worse. To me, being stubborn and not changing your ST approach or scheme is a bigger deal than hiring/firing coaches who suck at their job at this level. It’s scary that Campbell apparently thinks they are pretty good at it with his comments a week or two ago.

I’m pretty terrified after listening to Bruns’ podcast that our approach to the OL and offense is predictable, bad fundamentals, and we have an apparent unwillingness to change. Until Campbell addresses those issues, it doesn’t matter who the OC is.
I couldn't agree more. Much like Mark Mangino couldn't come in and make ISU's offense click under Rhoads. It simply does not matter. Campbell needs to take a long look in the mirror, because his career is starting to follow the footsteps of his predecessor(s).

• Dumb
Reactions: Stormin

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Sean Snyder has been looking for a job on two separate occasions now while Campbell has refused to hire anyone. If he went to Champaign, Illinois he would have come to Ames. No reason not to make the call unless you only hire your buddies from Ohio.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines

This is a major problem with coaching (and not just at ISU, at so many levels).

Design a system that fits the strengths of the players rather than trying to fit the players to a system.

We can't change the players we have in the middle of the season but we can change the system to accentuate the players' best skills.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Dekkers is 8th in attempts, let’s not crucify him yet. He shouldn’t have that high of usage.
I think it's time it needs to be said, our running backs are really bad. Blame scheme, blocking, injuries, whatever, but they aren't getting it done at all. Teams have run all over defenses like Kansas and Oklahoma and yet we struggle to get 3ypc. A competent running game would ease some pressure off Dekkers.

Reactions: CoachTretired

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Dekkers is 8th in attempts, let’s not crucify him yet. He shouldn’t have that high of usage.
This has been a Manning problem for as long as he's been here. There was a game against OSU a few years ago where they had Purdy throw something stupid like 50+ times despite gashing them on the ground. He hasn't been great, but I feel like the blame has to go to Manning because he's a QB killer

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron