Ben Bruns KU Game Recap on Iowa Everywhere

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I think you are overreacting. Did you want him to suggest that we move on from Manning? I fully appreciate the offensive struggles yesterday. The loss isn’t just on special teams. But at the end of the day the players have a job to do. Catch the TD pass, stretch the ball out for a FD, pick up the blitzing LB through the A gap. And quite frankly make FG. These weren’t 52 yard kicks. You make 3 of 4 field goals and this game is a win.

Finally, Ben has always being more understanding with the O-Line in his analysis.
You gave more analysis dove deeper into the problems we had than Ben, who's paid to do this, did at all. All he mentioned about Dekkers, the Oline, Manning, or mental mistakes was a quick little "I see people are mad about this" befire never coming back to it

Im not saying he needs to go full nuclear but holy **** dude, saying it was youth and the kicker only was beyond missing the point. Youth isnt the reason Tom Manning offenses have struggled to finish drives and the kicker shouldnt have even had to kick 4 FGs in that game. We lost because we couldnt finish drives on a team who gives up over 30ppg to FBS teams

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I was looking for something more in depth on our offensive issues that have cost us games for 4 years instead of just saying "Lol the kicker" and pretending KU played good defense while dropping hypotheticals about youth and Brocks injury

We didnt lose because youth, injuries, or soley because the kicker like he claimed. He didnt touch on Dekkers play, play calling, or the offensive line other than slightly hitting on it and implying we're all wrong and dumb.

Its trash. Anyone who says we played well enough to win on offense is wrong and doesnt know what they're talking about. 11 points is trash in any game, especially against that defense

Maybe KU was playing good D......but what does that look like? Giving up 400 yards instead of 500? It shouldn't matter what scheme they were running, or even J. Brock's injury. Our line if as good as said should have been controlling that LOS all day long. Yet it was the other way around.

I hope it was just a bad game because right now there isn't a game left on the schedule I can look at and say "that's a win".

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
You can run perfectly good RPO that is really difficult to defend with zero athleticism from the QB spot. Most of ISUs RPO success with Purdy were pass/give reads. Ask anyone that coaches defense. If your QB (like Purdy) was good at running the RPO, an offense should run the hell out of it.

I'm sure there are plenty of teams that run a true triple option (pass/give/QB run), but most run an RPO as either a give or pull and hit a receiver, or a more traditional read option (give/QB run).

I wouldn't really classify an option between pass and QB run as "RPO." I would say that is just really running a pass play with limited route reads. For example, Texas with Vince Young - they would have 3-4 receivers on routes, but he was typically checking if his primary was open, and if not, he was running.
I agree with what you say if a team has an above average OL that can hold it's blocks.

Just don't see enough variety out of our run game that tests opposing defenses. How many times a game do we run jet sweep. Or hand off to WR in motion behind QB?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
If you are honestly asking; he was an AA CFB player and is intelligent (look at his career path).

If this question is rhetorical; (facepalm).
Playing college football and being smart doesn't make one an elite football mind. Now, if he were getting paid 5 or 6 figures a year on a football coaching staff somehwere...

Hope you enjoyed the facepalm.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Playing college football and being smart doesn't make one an elite football mind. Now, if he were getting paid 5 or 6 figures a year on a football coaching staff somehwere...

Let’s put it this way, at the very least he’s got a better football mind than any of us and infinitely better than CoKane.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021

This feels like you have/had a personal disdain specifically for BB….

I will enjoy the Ignore feature.

Reactions: isufbcurt

Didley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 19, 2019
If our offense has a weakness against Cover 4, and we don’t make any halftime adjustments then thats still on the OC. Especially if this was the same defense we faced against Iowa, which means you’ve had even more time to fix the problems you had against Iowa.

This wont be the only team that comes up with a plan to beat us. When teams beat us we need changes made to correct the problem. Again. 100% on the OC.

Any bets on if KState will run Cover 4 and we see nothing but 4 yard passes all game?

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
He could speak frankly about what is obvious to all of us: ISU's offense last year and this year is ridiculously easy to plan for. Last year's O had a QB, TE, and RB all taken in the NFL draft and we didn't even make the CCG.

We're seeing the same chicken sh*t stuff this year. CMC wants to play everyone like we're playing Iowa, week in, week out. Or should I say weak in, easy out.

You start accepting mediocrity and no accountability and before you know it you are gonna be watching Prohmball at Trice. We almost are already.

Yeah. This isn’t Prohmball. Success isn’t linear. Playing a conservative brand of football based on being able to run the ball and stop the run isn’t chickenshit. It’s actually the way we can be effective given the area we recruit. That is the identity of the program…something that we never had under Prohm. Prohm took over a Ferrari and Matt took over a Ford Focus. They aren’t remotely similar. You are entitled to your opinion but Im guessing you might not have a lot of longevity as a fan. Not sure you want to go back to the spread style crap we ran with Herman that got us worked in most games.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
If our offense has a weakness against Cover 4, and we don’t make any halftime adjustments then thats still on the OC. Especially if this was the same defense we faced against Iowa, which means you’ve had even more time to fix the problems you had against Iowa.

This wont be the only team that comes up with a plan to beat us. When teams beat us we need changes made to correct the problem. Again. 100% on the OC.

Any bets on if KState will run Cover 4 and we see nothing but 4 yard passes all game?
Yeah, this. I'm guessing KU is the weakest defense we will face the rest of the year. If all they had to do was sit in Cover 4 all game and that held us to 11 points, we are in for a long season. We have to have a plan to counter, because that is all we are going to see until we show we can do something about it.

• Agree
Reactions: StPaulCyclone

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
If what you are saying is true....then he should have no problem saying:

"the O line didn't exactly have a good game. They should be controlling the LOS against that defense and quite frankly didn't. And probably the reason why coach Campbell didn't feel comfortable going for it."

See, that was easy wasn't it? But he didn't. Which I don't get because quite frankly a newborn could see the O line was struggling.

So either he doesn't have this "elite" level mind or for some reason just doesn't want to call a spade a spade.

We are all ISU fans and very bias I understand.....but come on. 11 points against that defense?

So put it at the kickers feet all you want. They should have never been in that position in the first place.
Exactly. I don't have any personal disdain for BB. I've been listening to/reading his stuff since he started on the sideline for ISU. But he often soft-peddles things that are obviously bad, and I really don't understand why. Pete Taylor didn't have a problem calling out bad ISU play.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Exactly. I don't have any personal disdain for BB. I've been listening to/reading his stuff since he started on the sideline for ISU. But he often soft-peddles things that are obviously bad, and I really don't understand why. Pete Taylor didn't have a problem calling out bad ISU play.

Appreciate that.......must have hit some button, because it's been deleted.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Let’s put it this way, at the very least he’s got a better football mind than any of us and infinitely better than CoKane.
Said the person who literally posted this morning they have 0 clue what they're talking about and dont care to either

Didley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 19, 2019
Yeah. This isn’t Prohmball. Success isn’t linear. Playing a conservative brand of football based on being able to run the ball and stop the run isn’t chickenshit. It’s actually the way we can be effective given the area we recruit. That is the identity of the program…something that we never had under Prohm. Prohm took over a Ferrari and Matt took over a Ford Focus. They aren’t remotely similar. You are entitled to your opinion but Im guessing you might not have a lot of longevity as a fan. Not sure you want to go back to the spread style crap we ran with Herman that got us worked in most games.
I only think it was our brand of football though because we had no depth. We had to control the ball on offense to keep our defense rested, and off the field. But it seems to me our 2 deep is as strong as anyone else’s now. So I dont think this is as true as in the past. And with media timeouts, does anyone even break a sweat anymore?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
A question is whether the conservative offensive ball can get ISU more than 7-8 wins and to the CCG (or beyond) in a "normal" season not screwed up by a pandemic. So far it hasn't, and this year isn't starting out great towards that end. And if it can't, will everyone be ok with that.

• Agree
Reactions: joefrog