Why are gas prices so high in Ames?

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Gary Thompson (Thompson Oil) is rolling in the dough these days - even more than before, and all at our expense. Since fuel prices dropped in Ames to $3.64 a couple of weeks ago (at least), the cost of oil has dropped by about $12 per barrel ($76 as of today). So, you'd think fuel prices would follow, right? Nope! Gas here hasn't dropped one cent since oil prices have tumbled. I haven't been to Polk County for a while now, but I'm guessing it's at LEAST $.65 less there than it is in Ames. All thanks to Gary Thompson who controls the distribution around Ames. This is price gouging. I've tried alerting the local news stations in the past to expose this guy for what he is. But, to my knowledge, no one has ever said a word or done any investigating on WHY he insists on soaking the people of Story County for his fuel. It pisses me off.

cedarstrip

Aug 26, 2013
Gary Thompson (Thompson Oil) is rolling in the dough these days - even more than before, and all at our expense. Since fuel prices dropped in Ames to $3.64 a couple of weeks ago (at least), the cost of oil has dropped by about $12 per barrel ($76 as of today). So, you'd think fuel prices would follow, right? Nope! Gas here hasn't dropped one cent since oil prices have tumbled. I haven't been to Polk County for a while now, but I'm guessing it's at LEAST $.65 less there than it is in Ames. All thanks to Gary Thompson who controls the distribution around Ames. This is price gouging. I've tried alerting the local news stations in the past to expose this guy for what he is. But, to my knowledge, no one has ever said a word or done any investigating on WHY he insists on soaking the people of Story County for his fuel. It pisses me off.
Do Casey's, Hy-Vee, Kwik Star and kum & go all have to buy from Thompson?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Gas hasn’t moved anything up in NC Iowa yet so you aren’t alone.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I've lived in Ames forever and have heard many stories about him and unfortunately greed is always in the conversation. Not my favorite.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Yea, price was pretty much the same from Ames to the MN border last Friday. I was surprised because usually Clear Lake is a little cheaper, but it was $3.59 I think. Not sure why prices have stagnated or even ticked up when oil has continued to go lower. Maybe the refinery fire in Ohio?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Do Casey's, Hy-Vee, Kwik Star and kum & go all have to buy from Thompson?

This is my question too. Why are prices at stations owned by these massive companies controlled by a local distributor? Couldn't they just send their own tankers up to Ames?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
This is my question too. Why are prices at stations owned by these massive companies controlled by a local distributor? Couldn't they just send their own tankers up to Ames?

I would guess they all get their fuel at the same terminal. Unless your an Exon, Shell, ConocoPhillips station, all others buy from those refiners I just mentioned.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I would guess they all get their fuel at the same terminal. Unless your an Exon, Shell, ConocoPhillips station, all others buy from those refiners I just mentioned.

So there is only one terminal that can be used by Ames stations? Seems like an opportunity for someone to step in and take a lot of business.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
So there is only one terminal that can be used by Ames stations? Seems like an opportunity for someone to step in and take a lot of business.
If you want to find a severed horse head in your bed courtesy of Gary Thompson.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

According to this there are 2 fuel terminals in Des Moines, 1 in Pleasant Hill and only 21 in Iowa.

Not sure why the IRS has a page for this LOL

I think Thompson is a distributor, like Diamond Oil in Des Moines. Usually Distributors distribute certain brands. For example Diamond Oil is mainly Sunoco products (I buy barrels of racing fuel from them) and I thought Thompson was associated with Phillips 66.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
According to this there are 2 fuel terminals in Des Moines, 1 in Pleasant Hill and only 21 in Iowa.

Not sure why the IRS has a page for this LOL

I think Thompson is a distributor, like Diamond Oil in Des Moines. Usually Distributors distribute certain brands. For example Diamond Oil is mainly Sunoco products (I buy barrels of racing fuel from them) and I thought Thompson was associated with Phillips 66.
Yea, price was pretty much the same from Ames to the MN border last Friday. I was surprised because usually Clear Lake is a little cheaper, but it was $3.59 I think. Not sure why prices have stagnated or even ticked up when oil has continued to go lower. Maybe the refinery fire in Ohio?
I was assuming it was refineries switching over to the winter mix that caused the 30 cent or so price increase. Haven’t seen anyone report that, but the timing seems about right.

Last edited:
Reactions: isufbcurt