ESPN, Fox Open Discussions for Next Big 12 Deal

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
  • Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017

Interesting. Perhaps ESPN is willing to up the ante in getting OUT into the SEC for the 2024 season.

I'd trade 1-2 years of OUT for a sweetheart deal with ESPN and 4-6 PAC teams. That would pretty much solidify the B12 as the #3 conference. Even if OR and WA eventually get their P2 invite, I'm fine with them for a couple of years so long as it's clear they're not getting any special considerations.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Interesting. Perhaps ESPN is willing to up the ante in getting OUT into the SEC for the 2024 season.

I'd trade 1-2 years of OUT for a sweetheart deal with ESPN and 4-6 PAC teams. That would pretty much solidify the B12 as the #3 conference. Even if OR and WA eventually get their P2 invite, I'm fine with them for a couple of years so long as it's clear they're not getting any special considerations.
EXACTLY! Trading OU and UT's early exit to guarantee we are the #3 conference going forward is a deal you make 11/10 times

Last edited:

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
CBS and NBC are in the mix now also. ESPN has several channels they need to fill. While the B12 doesn't have any giant names, they do have some well known names. Throw in a wide array of timeslots available and it becomes somewhat attractive.

Since the Big 12 is currently under contract with ESPN/Fox and this is technically a contract extension negotiation, I think that would affect the ability of CBS/NBC to be in the mix at this stage. Unless ESPN/Fox agree to it.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
ESPN wants OuT.
Fox wants ??? (2-4 Pac teams into the B1G??)
Big12 wants cash.

If ESPN is willing to pay "market" plus some extra to get OuT rights, and Fox is willing to pay "market" (per team) for the Big12 with 4 more Pac schools... that seems like the outline. Fox would also be in the position to know which schools they actually want in the B1G and thus which ones we would get in the Big12 too, so less guesswork there.
This is probably the best news possible for the B12 to reel in some PAC teams and solidify itself as the #3 conference.

The PAC schools are going to get a side-by-side look of continuing in the PAC or jumping to the B12. I think this will stress the PAC. Either the corner schools will see the PAC has no future when the B10 comes back for a few more schools, or OR/WA decide they can best position themselves to move to the P2 from the B12.

Either way, getting just one school to cave will open the floodgates. The PAC can't continue with 8 or 9 teams, and getting back to 10 is just puts them further behind. Each school that leaves puts the PAC further behind, which makes the decision to move all the more attractive.
That’s got to scare the crap out of Oregon State and Washington State. They are not gonna move the needle off the peg one bit.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It could be that ESPN/Fox are moving on from Pac12, but I doubt it.

IMO it puts the Big12 & Pac12 on equal footing. It allows all 4 parties equal negotiating position.

It could enable ESPN/Fox to negotiate separately with each conference and pair the Big12 vs Pac12. Whichever conference accepts the best (lowest $) terms from the Network could get the media deal. But I don't think getting the "best deal" is in either Networks "best interest".

My expectation is by putting both conferences on equal footing, it could allow for creating the strongest combination of Big12/Pac12 schools.

It is also curious the ESPN article mentions by negotiating early, it allows the Big12 to extend it's current agreement. Would that allow the Big12 to leverage it's existing contract pricing go forward.
The PAC 12 lost their two premier programs, and the two premier programs of what is left don't want to be there either without unequal revenue sharing. That's far from equal footing. They are in survival mode, while the Big 12 is in expansion mode.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Big12 isn't opening up negotiations if they don't think this gives them an advantage over the Pac12
Could also be the Big12 removed a disadvantage. Seems to me it makes Pac12 & Big12 in equal position from a contract logistics perspective.

Both can negotiate separately with their current media partners and get firm #'s. If the Big12 feels it can get substantially more from ESPN/Fox great. But it may need to be significant to get Pac12 schools to jump.

IMO Fox & ESPN would value a combination of some Big12 & Pac12 schools the most.

I also think Fox values itself as being a West Coast based sports network and desired having Pac12 games.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I'm sure this will push Houston to the Pac12, as the Pac12 mouthpieces keep spouting Houston as an expansion option.
If adding just USC & UCLA are difficult adds for Big10 from a travel logistics. Adding just Houston or SMU to the Pac12 is a non-starter.

The Big10 is 16 teams, the SEC is 16 teams. Both may be reaching for 18 or 20. Seems to me Big12 and Pac12 schools are going to want to be in similar sized conference.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
This seems like a great move by the Big 12. Everyone has a good idea which time slots are available after the Big 10 agreement, so why let the PAC 12 try to get some of those spots without a fight. We have a better, more stable product to offer.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Really like that Yormark is on the Big12 sidelines. He knows how these TV guys work, and has ins at Fox. Reduces likelihood of getting played. I don't see him joining an "Alliance" with no contract.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I think Texas and OU are here thru the current GOR ending in June 2025. So two more football and basketball seasons after this one. I don’t see them paying a huge penalty to buy out 2 or even 1 year early. Plus ESPN, Sankey from the SEC and OuT got slapped around by the lawyers after they got busted for their covert attempted Big 12 screw job.
Well, based on the new info I stand corrected. Maybe the networks pony up a bigger TV contract in lieu of the OuT buyout. That works. But I’d still like the Clones to have at least 2 more cracks at both of them.

Reactions: ISUalways

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It could be that ESPN/Fox are moving on from Pac12, but I doubt it.

IMO it puts the Big12 & Pac12 on equal footing. It allows all 4 parties equal negotiating position.

It could enable ESPN/Fox to negotiate separately with each conference and pair the Big12 vs Pac12. Whichever conference accepts the best (lowest $) terms from the Network could get the media deal. But I don't think getting the "best deal" is in either Networks "best interest".

My expectation is by putting both conferences on equal footing, it could allow for creating the strongest combination of Big12/Pac12 schools.

It is also curious the ESPN article mentions by negotiating early, it allows the Big12 to extend it's current agreement. Would that allow the Big12 to leverage it's existing contract pricing go forward.

I don’t think the Big 12 was under any obligation to do this. Which makes it seem like they see this strengthening their position.