Iowa Football Recruiting

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
He wasn’t a threat last year and they still won 10 games. Iowas defense and special teams was so elite last year that their offense didn’t matter.

Iowa’s best win ended up being @ Iowa State and we were just an average team last year.
@criticalobserver so what do you disagree with here? Do you think Petras was a threat or do you not agree that Iowa State was the best win?

I mean it was either ISU or Minnesota and because ISU was in Ames against a top 10 team at the time I think it takes the cake.

criticalobserver

Apr 22, 2018
Mar-A-Lago
@criticalobserver so what do you disagree with here? Do you think Petras was a threat or do you not agree that Iowa State was the best win?

I mean it was either ISU or Minnesota and because ISU was in Ames against a top 10 team at the time I think it takes the cake.

Teams change throughout the season due to injuries etc. I don’t think ISU was Iowa’s best win last season, and that’s not a knock on ISU as it was certainly one of Iowa’s better wins last season. In some ways very equal to Minnesota. I would put Minnesota as a better win because Iowa’s offensive line was pretty beat up at that time, and iirc Iowa played a backup qb, and came from behind. Something they normally struggle to do.

I watch games differently. I watched Iowa at Nebraska and came away from that game as a really good win for Iowa because they played poorly and still won.

A couple of ISU games I view as good wins that other might not consider good wins for similar reasons.

No game is easy. And I’ve not been critical of either team anywhere on this board or elsewhere.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Teams change throughout the season due to injuries etc. I don’t think ISU was Iowa’s best win last season, and that’s not a knock on ISU as it was certainly one of Iowa’s better wins last season. In some ways very equal to Minnesota. I would put Minnesota as a better win because Iowa’s offensive line was pretty beat up at that time, and iirc Iowa played a backup qb, and came from behind. Something they normally struggle to do.

I watch games differently. I watched Iowa at Nebraska and came away from that game as a really good win for Iowa because they played poorly and still won.

A couple of ISU games I view as good wins that other might not consider good wins for similar reasons.

No game is easy. And I’ve not been critical of either team anywhere on this board or elsewhere.
That’s fair. Beating Nebraska was a good win vs a not so good team. Iowa came through a lot of adversity to win that one. I think on paper it was either Iowa State or Minnesota and one could make an argument for either.

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
That’s fair. Beating Nebraska was a good win vs a not so good team. Iowa came through a lot of adversity to win that one. I think on paper it was either Iowa State or Minnesota and one could make an argument for either.
Best win after the season was over and evaluating it is probably ISU or Minnesota from a “most impressive” win.

Most important win was hands down Penn St because of long term impact. National stage game with multiple recruits on hand that got to witness the environment which undoubtedly had an effect. XN, Proctor, Kaleb Johnson and TJ Hall were all there. Kasper is the only big name that I can recall that Iowa missed on from that game day visit.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I wouldn’t say that ISU was a big win for them just because ISU flat out handed them the game. It’s wasn’t like they played well. Iowa could have won that game with their defense, kicker and punter. They didn’t need a single offensive player to win. Disgustingly brutal.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Best win after the season was over and evaluating it is probably ISU or Minnesota from a “most impressive” win.

Most important win was hands down Penn St because of long term impact. National stage game with multiple recruits on hand that got to witness the environment which undoubtedly had an effect. XN, Proctor, Kaleb Johnson and TJ Hall were all there. Kasper is the only big name that I can recall that Iowa missed on from that game day visit.
Yeah you’re right that was a big night for Iowa.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018

Minnesota lost to Bowling Green

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
I wouldn’t say that ISU was a big win for them just because ISU flat out handed them the game. It’s wasn’t like they played well. Iowa could have won that game with their defense, kicker and punter. They didn’t need a single offensive player to win. Disgustingly brutal.
You’re right, ISU was better in every facet of the game except defense, special teams, coaching and QB play. Unfortunately for ISU those areas are all very much determining factors in all football games.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You’re right, ISU was better in every facet of the game except defense, special teams, coaching and QB play. Unfortunately for ISU those areas are all very much determining factors in all football games.
Iowa State played poorly and Iowa was a very large determining factor in that. Petras' throw to Jones was a huge momentum shift and Purdy's INT and Hall's fumble were as well.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie and 7Got6

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
And beat West Virginia
Minnesota was a decent team last year but WVU was not very good. And I'm well aware ISU lost to them. That was the worst loss of the year by far. I think as far as "best teams" that Iowa beat, it's arguable between Minny and ISU. As someone else said though, PSU was the biggest win because of the circumstances surrounding the victory.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I don’t think you are understanding what I’m saying. ISU did not play better in any facet, although their defense played really well. I just think that fans wouldn’t consider it a great win because their team didn’t play great offensively and the opponent imploded.

Iowa could have won that game with zero offensive snaps. I don’t know how much more of a compliment you need here, but if that upsets you, you really need your ego stroked.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
And beat West Virginia

Cherry picking posts again. Just go back into your closet.

bench-warmers.gif

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron