Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Yes, you did. You responded to why leave out FSU and Miami with basically “they rather go SEC”…aka, not likely the BIG could get them

Is it likely the BIG can get all of ND, UNC, UVa? No.

So if we are not limiting things to what likely the BIG can actually get, a best case scenario for BIG may include FSU and Miami imo.

FSU and Miami would not stay in ACC over an offer from BIG (particularly if UNC, UVa, and ND are in BIG). There are actually boosters in FL of both schools that would rather go BIG over SEC if in the group I listed (plus one more, Duke or GT). The thought being , FSU and Miami being in a BIG with those ACC academics, ND, Stanford, etc would help erode the “flagship” advantage of UF. The climb in FSU as an institution the last 30 years has been assisted by conference affiliation, and the BIG is building the preeminent conference in that regard
So, me thinking that FSU and Miami would rather stay and play schools in the South, where they are located is somehow me giving odds that they will not join the B10? I figure most schools want to stay where they are, money is causing most of these moves, and everything I have read says that the B10 and SEC will be paying out roughly the same when it's all said and done. So why play games in the North in November when you can continue to play all your games in the South, which just happen to be closer to your current location?

Yes, I think the chance that the B10 gets ND, UVA and UNC is very large, not as far South as the Florida schools and they value the academic part of it and get allows them to get back to playing Maryland for BB which was a rivalry. Its silly for any of us to not think that the SEC and B10 are at least talking to one another in some form, and laying out a game plan for which schools they would like to get. SEC that is Clemson, Miami and Florida St, the B10 that is ND, UNC and UVA. The SEC wants power football teams, while the academic part of this is huge for the B10, and its moves their network into the states of Virginia and N. Carolina, a lot more people to charge $1.10 a month rather than $.10 cents a month.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Man, I would love for ISU to be in the SEC West or similar division with Missouri, Arkansas, Vandy, OSU, OU, Texas, LSU, A&M and the Mississippi schools. The last 3-4 years we’d have been battling OU, A&M and LSU for the top spot. There are some heavyweights there for sure but Matt Campbell would keep us upper half, or at least middle of the pack. In basketball TJ might put us at the top. Not terrible geography either. Similar to the current Big 12.
You forgot somebody in the SEC West...ALA-BAMA!

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Found this humorous:

Key to Success for Every B1G Team in 2022. Except they forgot one. Did all the others, but missed one. Guess who. Lol.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I've since read the subsequent posts to this and have thus edited this. My perception of this 'dumpster fire' is that the current administration is cutting fat and shifting resources to something not yet announced. Just for rough numbers, I looked up Amazon's production and licensing costs for recent years (2020 11 billion, 2021 13 billion). My point is there is a breaking point where it's much cheaper to convert those 2 hour movies into 2+ hour games. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what's happening to this perceived dumpster fire.

2 hour games that would be a dream, the worst thing about attending FB live is the freaking commercials after every freaking 1st down, punt etc..... No game continuity at all with all the commercials.

Reactions: nwiacyclonefant

Aug 20, 2012
Two points here:

1. I didn't say they will never beat anybody at football, another poster did. However, when I read that comment I took it for what it was, obvious hyperbole. To read that and take it literally would be, to use your words, batshit and ignorant.

2. Why would you assume they are going to keep the east/west divisions especially if they add more schools like Stanford? I would assume the exact opposite. They will most likely come up with new divisions or just do away with divisions altogether.

1. Hyperbole for what exactly?

Based on the last 10 full seasons played Stanford would arguably have been the second best program in the Big 10. I wouldn’t want to be tasked with arguing the case for anybody else, and ranking them outside the Top 5 would be simply absurd.

I could walk through why, but it seems wholly unnecessary. Their record is available online. Look it up.

Now, was that a particularly good run? Yeah, so what? Historically they’ve been middlin’-to-good, and usually at least a mid-pack type team in league like the Big 10.

Only two Big 10 teams have more than their 7 Rose Bowl victories: Ohio State (9) and Michigan (8)

Will Coach Shaw’s slide continue? Perhaps? Vegas tabbed their win total at 4.5 for this season. It isn’t ridiculous to think Derek Mason as DC was integral to their elite teams.

2. Uhh, what?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
1. Hyperbole for what exactly?

Based on the last 10 full seasons played Stanford would arguably have been the second best program in the Big 10. I wouldn’t want to be tasked with arguing the case for anybody else, and ranking them outside the Top 5 would be simply absurd.

I could walk through why, but it seems wholly unnecessary. Their record is available online. Look it up.

Now, was that a particularly good run? Yeah, so what? Historically they’ve been middlin’-to-good, and usually at least a mid-pack type team in league like the Big 10.

Only two Big 10 teams have more than their 7 Rose Bowl victories: Ohio State (9) and Michigan (8)

Will Coach Shaw’s slide continue? Perhaps? Vegas tabbed their win total at 4.5 for this season. It isn’t ridiculous to think Derek Mason as DC was integral to their elite teams.

2. Uhh, what?
I agree they would be a mid pack B1G team. The rest of it... Ok. Point 2 was my bad because I thought you had listed all west teams assuming they would be in the west but you mentioned Indiana which is an east team. My mistake.

If Stanford gets an invite I don't think it has anything to do with the strength of their football program and everything to do with their academics and ties to Notre Dame. Without those they don't have a chance at an invite. I don't believe they will be anything but another one of the many middling football teams in the B1G if they do end up in that conference.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I agree they would be a mid pack B1G team. The rest of it... Ok. Point 2 was my bad because I thought you had listed all west teams assuming they would be in the west but you mentioned Indiana which is an east team. My mistake.

If Stanford gets an invite I don't think it has anything to do with the strength of their football program and everything to do with their academics and ties to Notre Dame. Without those they don't have a chance at an invite. I don't believe they will be anything but another one of the many middling football teams in the B1G if they do end up in that conference.
It is 100% about their rivalry with ND, media footprint, and academics. If ND isn’t going, Stanford isn’t going.

Reactions: timinatoria

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
SEC goes after Clemson, Florida st, Miami, VT, and I think Oklahoma state and one other maybe Iowa state if we don’t poach the PAC I think a couple 3 teams from big 12 will look to get into SEC or try.
Not a chance. I love Iowa State but Iowa State will never be in the SEC.

What needs to happen is for the College Football money bubble to pop. The P2 conferences thinking they can just pile elite teams together and the money will only grow longterm. The problem is you are alienating the other half of the old P5 teams who will not watch P2 games if it is no longer the same stage. Those mega contracts peak and start to go the other direction, especially if cord cutting and streaming becomes the new standard since you can no longer force non-CFB fans into cable and satellite subscriptions for ESPN, FS1, Big Ten Network, SEC Network. Not to mention you put all these elite teams in the same 2 conferences mathematically many of the "elite" teams have to lose. You are going to get some unhappy teams when they can't win (looking at Texas, UCLA, etc).

College Football is better as a whole if all the FBS teams are on the same stage. Blow the whole thing up, hire a commissioner over all of FBS, get rid of conferences, create regional divisions, have protected cross division games, and rotate the rest of the games with other divisions. You get EVERYONE buying subscriptions (not just fans of the 40 P2 team and the few above that just happen to have that streaming service) which creates an enormous money pool to share, and return to the regionalized divisions that just like conferences were 15+ years ago and created the best rivalries in football. The top teams from each division go to a playoff and the rest go to bowls or season is over.

I am definitely oversimplifying it and this is unrealistic but it is better than what the current trajectory of College Football is going. Even Kirk Ferentz said he is concerned about the future of college football despite Iowa being on the fortunate side of the landscape. Just my thoughts on a Saturday evening. Ready for ISU football to be here despite the crap outlook of my favorite sport.

Last edited:

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Oh Wilner… at this point I’m actually impressed with his pro PAC10 spin on everything. Keep clinging to the Titanic.

“Odds of some kind of TV deal between the Pac-12 and the ACC? — @bfedotin
Pretty good … perhaps better than 50/50…”

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
It is 100% about their rivalry with ND, media footprint, and academics. If ND isn’t going, Stanford isn’t going.
If the Big10 would take Rutgers for NY market, they'll take Stanford for San Fran market and elite academics.

Plus travel partner them with Washington and pick up Pac10's 2nd best athletic department and Seattle TV market.

Worry about ND later.

Aug 20, 2012

Yeah, sure…but the only invites given that may have been partially due to the strength of the programs were Nebraska and Penn State. Even those were probably more about brand.

Fun fact: Penn State finished its last season as an independent with a #24 ranking after getting manhandled by #9 Stanford in the Blockbuster Bowl.

So, nobody is arguing Stanford would get an invite because of it football program, or even its football brand (though being a traditional rival of ND is a part of their football brand).

However, suggesting they’re another Rutgers or Maryland, or that they’d get an invite in part because they’ll be a patsy, is silly and shows ignorance of the sport. *That* is what was stated/implied by what you defended as hyperbole.

Stanford is somewhat unique in that their recruiting pool is a tiny subset of what others have available. They can go toe-to-toe with virtually anybody for those players though.

Their incoming recruiting class is #19 in the country, and would be #4 in the Big 10 behind OSU, Penn State, and Michigan. It isn’t an outlier.

If they end up in the Big 10 it’d be foolish to think they won’t at least contend for a title (or two) in the first 10-20 years. It’d depend on who the coach is and what pieces they can put around their next Christian McCaffery or Andrew Luck.

Unrelated: If your handle is an Iowa reference, my mom is a proud Polar Bear.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: NorthCyd