Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Good luck with that. And employment is likely coming regardless, and is needed. NIL is a product of shoehorning big business into amateurism

The second part is an example of funneling, which is not always nefarious.
Universities will fight forever to stop these players from being called employees. Once they are "employees" then a whole bunch of state and federal laws kick in about how they are treated, paid, retirement and the rest of it. If a kid gets hurt on the field, as an employee, under state and federal law, the school would be required to pay for medical services for that student, now the parents insurance company is the first to be billed, not the school, but the parent.

Last edited:

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Universities will fight forever to stop these players to be called employees. Once they are "employees" then a whole bunch of state and federal laws kick in about how they are treated, paid, retirement and the rest of it. If a kid gets hurt on the field, as an employee, under state and federal law, the school would be required to pay for medical services for that student, now the parents insurance company is the first to be billed, not the school, but the parent.
They can fight the courts all they want.

Pretending these players are amateurs is big part of the problem, so it will be a good thing for the sport to go to employment model

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
They won't watch college football. Or with hardcore fans, instead of watching 11 hours on Saturday, they'll watch 3.

The beauty of college football is I love my Cyclone sports. Hence, I watch other Big12 teams so I know how the Cyclones stack up. Since the Big12 is part of the national championship race, I watch games in the Big10, SEC, ACC and Pac12.

If ISU and the Big12 is in another "tier", why watch much Big10 or SEC football? I can go on a hike, watch Netflix, read a book and a multitude of other leisure activities.

Baseball was once America's sport, where does it rank today?

I'm not speaking for anyone else, but here's generally my CFB viewing habits:

I generally don't watch much SEC or ACC football, if any at all.

Outside of Michigan St and Wisconsin I don't watch much Big 10

I'll watch a Pac 12 game here and there, especially if it's Arizona St, but the games are so damn late that by that time of night I'd rather be watching something else with my wife.

Which means the vast majority of the games I watch are Big 12 games.

Between OU always getting smoked in the playoff and a team I follow only ever making the playoff once (MSU), most years I don't watch the playoff. This year was an exception as Georgia made things more interesting for me.

Like I said, I don't speak for everyone but myself, but what ESPN and FOX are doing isn't going to make me more likely to watch more SEC or Big 10 games (unless ISU unexpectedly ends up in one of those conferences). In fact, I'm much more likely to watch fewer games the way things are heading. Even if the quality of football in the SEC and Big 10 improves because of this, IMO why bother watching "semipro" college ball when I could watch more NFL games?

Walter

Nov 16, 2021
I tend to think we are in another "pause" for how long, no one knows. The B10 is still out whale hunting over ND, therefore it makes zero since to offer Oregon now.

This is why the B12 must make the situation unstable and offer CU, UU, and the 2 Arizonia schools now, heck go ahead and offer Oregon, UDub, Stanford and Cal and out of those four, say "the first two schools that commit, get the spots."

It better for the B10 for things to cool down, but for the B12, they need to force the issue.

Put Operation, "Sink the P12" into action.
No way any of those schools would commit to Big 12 without being eliminated from Big 10 or SEC. Would be stupid of them to commit to Big 12 for 1/3rd of the money they would receive from other 2 conferences.

If they know they can't get in to Big 10 or SEC then they would consider. It's all about the money and the Big 12 is going to be way behind. Sucks bur it's the facts.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
It doesn't take a math genius to know that fewer fans will watch the top 48 teams compete against each other than the fans watching the current top 69. What's going to happen when OU's game against Baylor is replaced with a game against Ole Miss? Well a big percentage of Big 12 fans who would have watched OU - Baylor are going to find something else to do... especially if Baylor's games going forward are on ESPN plus.

Let's add 30 more schools to the mix. Max schools equals max fans, equals max revenue per team, right?

The hit from dropping down to the top 48 most valuable brands is less than the reduction in costs. If the schools left out had enough pull for it to be otherwise, they'd be included.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
No way any of those schools would commit to Big 12 without being eliminated from Big 10 or SEC. Would be stupid of them to commit to Big 12 for 1/3rd of the money they would receive from other 2 conferences.

If they know they can't get in to Big 10 or SEC then they would consider. It's all about the money and the Big 12 is going to be way behind. Sucks bur it's the facts.
I gather you are talking about Oregon, Udub, Stanford and Cal, when you are saying that they will not commit, which is true if given time and a choice, all will choose the B10 or the SEC over the Big 12. So do not give them the time.

You go after CU, UU, and the Arizonia schools, they are not going to get invites to either the Big 10 or the SEC, and they have to be thinking that the moment any of the other four schools do, they are gone. So why be loyal to the Pac 12, and possible end up like Washington St and Oregon St. on the outside and getting into the MWC or go to the Big 12 where you are assured of staying in a P5 conference.

That forces the other 4 schools to decide, do I take the offer in hand from the Big 12, or do I wait for an offer from the B10 that may or may not be there? The B10 wants ND, along with UNC and UV more than they want Oregon and Udub. It's possible that Stanford and Cal are on the outside and then begging the Big 12 for a place at the table.

Or maybe, part of the deal to get ND would be the league also takes Stanford, a longtime rival, with great academics. The Big 12 after 2023 is back to 12 teams, while both the B10 and SEC will be at 16. Now is the time to take CU, UU, and the Arizonia schools and sink the Pac 12, and hope you can nab a bigger fish along the way.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
They can fight the courts all they want.

Pretending these players are amateurs is big part of the problem, so it will be a good thing for the sport to go to employment model
But once they are "employees" then a salary structure is put into place, you no longer need NIL, they are being paid by the school. The players would have to form a union, to negotiate with each conference the rights and benefits of each player.

Amateurs in name only is the game both the schools and players are playing, there are lots of benefits for that system, becoming employees' changes everything.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
I'm not speaking for anyone else, but here's generally my CFB viewing habits:

I generally don't watch much SEC or ACC football, if any at all.

Outside of Michigan St and Wisconsin I don't watch much Big 10

I'll watch a Pac 12 game here and there, especially if it's Arizona St, but the games are so damn late that by that time of night I'd rather be watching something else with my wife.

Which means the vast majority of the games I watch are Big 12 games.

Between OU always getting smoked in the playoff and a team I follow only ever making the playoff once (MSU), most years I don't watch the playoff. This year was an exception as Georgia made things more interesting for me.

Like I said, I don't speak for everyone but myself, but what ESPN and FOX are doing isn't going to make me more likely to watch more SEC or Big 10 games (unless ISU unexpectedly ends up in one of those conferences). In fact, I'm much more likely to watch fewer games the way things are heading. Even if the quality of football in the SEC and Big 10 improves because of this, IMO why bother watching "semipro" college ball when I could watch more NFL games?
I watch most of the college football games every week, but if the new Big 12 tier that Iowa State is part of is different than the P2 tier (i.e. if those teams decide to break away and do their own playoff, championship, etc.), I won't watch the P2 tier since it's essentially a different league that has no impact on my team.

The reason in my view that a random SEC matchup on CBS during the regular season is interesting is because there's the off chance that Iowa State or another Big 12 team will square off against one of those teams in a bowl game or the playoff. If that goes out the window, there's really no reason for me to watch that game.

However, if our Big 12 tier is well managed, that would be the one I prefer to be in for actually going to and watching games (especially if we get Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah) even if our schools make a little less money than P2 or our league is excluded from the playoff/championship that the P2 would hypothetically set up.

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I love how he asks questions like this. Guess he better not talk about anything he isn't an "expert" in.
Well, tornam does spend a good amount of time over in the c..., ehr, well nevermind. That doesn't appy either.
Yes, yes, yes. Ignore that dork.
But it’s just too easy. His posts are so ridiculous, and I have nothing else to do today.
bc5d0b909e28d3a3f6713ed4c3c14863.gif
Tinker the Troll helps this site greatly, I tink. Many more posts and clicks which are all good for CF.

It does make the thread a tad longer. But I'm having to practice my speed reading with this thread, so long... I know if skim extra fast over tinker I won't be missing anything!!

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
2010 there were senators looking into things, surprised more national level politicians haven’t weighed in with threats from constituent pressure.
They haven't got the time. Too busy inventing boogeymen and hiring attorneys?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I'll just throw this out there. Stormin, you get the quote, but it could be anybody.

What would you call the new B12?

Conference USA.....LOL J/K

Big Packin....

Big Pacific

Central Pacific

Coast to Coast

BIG

Great America

Big Super Conference.....

Big Pacific Survivors League of America

North South East West Conference
Haha. Good job! I'm glad someone answered my question.

Assuming the Big 12 is still around tomorrow, I will solve all of its, and our problems, then.

Maybe not.

Reactions: 2speedy1

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia

This is purely hypothetical. I have a friend who often takes the position of "What would it take?". So, what would it take to get the B12 revenue on par with the SEC and B1G? Notre Dame and Oregon? Better top to bottom competition? Larger metropolitan representation? Apple/Amazon wanting and therefore making it happen? P2 screwing up by establishing unbalanced revenue sharing? Just curious how many people already have the pre-established 'No way possible' outlook.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Baseball was once America's sport, where does it rank today?

Good point.

Baseball has a lot of angst about getting people to watch again - playoff changes, pitch counts, more DH, OT rules, etc etc.

BUT despite all that, they still print money for owners and ESPN...

Reactions: cyfanatic

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
This is purely hypothetical. I have a friend who often takes the position of "What would it take?". So, what would it take to get the B12 revenue on par with the SEC and B1G? Notre Dame and Oregon? Better top to bottom competition? Larger metropolitan representation? Apple/Amazon wanting and therefore making it happen? P2 screwing up by establishing unbalanced revenue sharing? Just curious how many people already have the pre-established 'No way possible' outlook.

I don't see the Big12 getting the money that is talked about for the P2 with the population we have. But, on the other hand, I also don't see how this money continues to increase in the P2 either. According to the link below, the power 5 currently get around $1.4B annually combined. Yet talking heads keep saying that the Big10 could see those types of numbers by themselves. So for you to have that kind of money also go to the SEC, that's going to more than double the TV payouts from what they are today. That means more money from consumers at the same time you're removing interest from a good portion of your viewing audience. Doesn't seem like a recipe for success. So I see the fall of these TV deals being just as likely as the fall of the lower conferences.

Last edited:

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Im totally confused where this conversation went.

Im not sure what we are debating here anymore.

113 pages in 2 days maybe I missed something.
WhoIsThis entered the fray that’s what happened. The condescending tones that guy spits out when addressing others are when things on conference expansion typically get weird. He never acknowledges it either.

I find him to be super smart and think his ideas are great additions to these conversations but the snarky/elitist tones (his laughing emojis on people's posts is so obviously done in a "Holy crap you are so stupid!" kind of way) to his posts are always so off putting. Now he will come at me like the last time I called this out because he can’t handle criticism.

Last edited:

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
No. They will only watch their team and maybe not even that. They will do something else with their Saturday.

No they will watch the USC-Penn St game or UCLA-Wisconsin or OU-Bama or Texas-Florida. There’s so many potential big name matchups in just those two conferences.