KXNO Sports Fanatics

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I don't love Miller and Condon but I think you could do much worse. Their content is usually pretty solid, but I don't love the delivery. I don't mind the gambling stuff and appreciate alot of the guests they are able to get.

How Morning Rush is still on the air is beyond me. I'll typically have Fanatics on for the drive home and sometimes KXNO will still be on the radio in the morning, and what an odd combination of people. Travis strikes me as pretentious. Heather does fine in the few moments Travis isn't talking over her. Sean doesn't appear to do much more than bring the median age under the 40 y/o mark. Whether he's being typecast or not, his "class clown" schtick gets a little old.
Travis is not pretentious. Travis is a proud moron.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Judging by today’s guest host and the start to the show, they better get somebody good hired fast.

I didn't know today's guest host on the Sports Fanatics, but found him to be pretty interesting. He seems like I guy I want to go on road trips with.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I find it comical you piss on everything about KxNO. Jfc dont listen
I mean the premise of the show is their focus will be more on college sports, specifically ISU and Iowa, compared to Miller and Condon and Murph and Andy. Those other two have remained true to their stated intentions- regional professional teams and sports betting, and local issues, pop culture, current events, with some ISU and Iowa stuff sprinkled in, respectively. Miller and Condon actually have segments set aside a couple days per week to talk strictly about the P5 programs in the state. It would seem to me the show designed to focus on college sports in Iowa could’ve at least touched on the two commitments we got in football today. That’s just me though. Maybe you prefer to have some HS principal talk about himself for 2 hours. Good for you.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I mean the premise of the show is their focus will be more on college sports, specifically ISU and Iowa, compared to Miller and Condon and Murph and Andy. Those other two have remained true to their stated intentions- regional professional teams and sports betting, and local issues, pop culture, current events, with some ISU and Iowa stuff sprinkled in, respectively. Miller and Condon actually have segments set aside a couple days per week to talk strictly about the P5 programs in the state. It would seem to me the show designed to focus on college sports in Iowa could’ve at least touched on the two commitments we got in football today. That’s just me though. Maybe you prefer to have some HS principal talk about himself for 2 hours. Good for you.

Maybe CW can expound on why kxno seems to go out it’s way to avoid recruiting so much? CBus local shows are like 75% Buckeye football recruiting during the off season and probably 50% during the season.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I'd prefer to have most of the KXNO hosts than Mike Francesca, Paul Finebaum, or Mad Dog Russo being syndicated here.
Having had DirecTV for 25 years I watched a lot of Mike and The Mad Dog.

You'll go a long time trying to find someone as sure of themselves about meaningless sports stuff as Francesca.

That said, it was kind of entertaining which I guess is the point.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Maybe CW can expound on why kxno seems to go out it’s way to avoid recruiting so much? CBus local shows are like 75% Buckeye football recruiting during the off season and probably 50% during the season.

I wonder if it's because unlike Ohio State who chases 5 star players and has four stars as fall back options, Iowa and Iowa State generally recruit players at a much lower level. So it's harder for the hosts to pretend like they know what they're talking about and harder for the audience to be engaged talking about it.

Only reason I can think of.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I wonder if it's because unlike Ohio State who chases 5 star players and has four stars as fall back options, Iowa and Iowa State generally recruit players at a much lower level. So it's harder for the hosts to pretend like they know what they're talking about and harder for the audience to be engaged talking about it.

Only reason I can think of.
I think recruiting is also just something the hard-core fans follow closely, and wouldn't be of big interest to the majority of the audience. Personally I would love 3 hours of recruiting talk, but I'm the exception I think.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I think recruiting is also just something the hard-core fans follow closely, and wouldn't be of big interest to the majority of the audience. Personally I would love 3 hours of recruiting talk, but I'm the exception I think.
This is definitely true - I think the typical local radio listener would probably rather listen to 3 hours of fart jokes or see what the stoner red neck from southern Iowa has to say than dive into recruiting.

In-state kids or pulling off a huge recruiting win is probably the exception. Nwampka, Proctor, Patton are of interest, but the typical fan does not want to dive in to talk about some 3 star DL from Blue Spring, Mo.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneGuy8

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This is definitely true - I think the typical local radio listener would probably rather listen to 3 hours of fart jokes or see what the stoner red neck from southern Iowa has to say than dive into recruiting.

In-state kids or pulling off a huge recruiting win is probably the exception. Nwampka, Proctor, Patton are of interest, but the typical fan does not want to dive in to talk about some 3 star DL from Blue Spring, Mo.

The typical fan is listening to Star 102.5. If you tune to a sports station you’re already beyond “typical fan”.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The typical fan is listening to Star 102.5. If you tune to a sports station you’re already beyond “typical fan”.
The fact that the current morning show has remained on for this long supports that fart jokes > recruiting talk to most people listening.

Maybe most important is that other than CW the other hosts simply don't have interest in recruiting, and they think it's meaningless cuz Mike Rose and Luka Garza.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Not really. Some people like sports a lot, but have little desire to hear grown men fawn over some 17-18 yo kid that probably won't see the field for a couple of years.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I bet a local show leaning heavy on recruiting would have dozens of interested listeners. DOZENS!
I wonder what local AM talk radio in general does in ratings, maybe in the 100s or low thousands? I know a guy who did some production work at kcrg in cedar rapids and they said that their kcrg2 channel buried way down the TV list would pretty routinely have less than 20 people watching it

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Having had DirecTV for 25 years I watched a lot of Mike and The Mad Dog.

You'll go a long time trying to find someone as sure of themselves about meaningless sports stuff as Francesca.

That said, it was kind of entertaining which I guess is the point.
Call 1-800-KXnO off. Thanks for the heads-up on other options.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I wonder what local AM talk radio in general does in ratings, maybe in the 100s or low thousands? I know a guy who did some production work at kcrg in cedar rapids and they said that their kcrg2 channel buried way down the TV list would pretty routinely have less than 20 people watching it

Only includes market share, not listenership numbers, but you can get a rough idea. In April, WHO and the Bus were the top 2 stations. KXnO had ~1 listener for every 2.7 that we’re listening to the Bus. That’s not nothing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron