KXNO Sports Fanatics

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I mean this as no shot to you or anybody else, but I will admit I used to listen all the time to KXNO but I agree, those other options are what take my attention now. Part of it is I just have a lot different tastes now for what I consume - I don't think I've watched a baseball game in literally years. I don't care about any other instate programs. I don't care about beer or anything so when those guests come on I literally just tune out immediately. Pods on demand are just unbeatable now for me.

I agree that if the ratings are going up, they have to be doing a great job in management.
I enjoy pro sports quite a bit, so I flip over the 1350 ESPN (or their FM equivalent) in the morning, especially during the last 30 minutes of the Morning Rush as there's almost zero sports talk at that time. If I find myself in the car during lunchtime, I almost always prefer Bart & Hahn to Miller & Condon and then it's a toss up between Cowherd and B&H. No offense to Chris & Ross, but Chiney & Golic was my go to on the way home, but both of them have been replaced by Canty and Carlin so I switched back to Fanatics.

The biggest thing is I don't have a radio or stream going at work, so rarely do I ever hear any of Murph & Andy or the entirety of the other shows. I also don't download the podcasts after the fact as I have a slate of others that I listen to at work. KXnO is hardly my go to for anything anymore, especially between April and August. Honestly, I tune into 810 WHB out of KC as much as I can to hear about the Royals and Chiefs, even if I do gets subjected to the occasional KU, KSU, and Mizzou talk. Although, it is interesting when Soren Petro does his 2-minute drill in which he contacts sport radio people from around the country to talk about the upcoming opponents to the KC area teams. He has had Ken Miller(And maybe even Ross) in that past to talk about the Cyclones and it is interesting to hear what they say about the Clones when the "home" crowd isn't listening.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I enjoy pro sports quite a bit, so I flip over the 1350 ESPN (or their FM equivalent) in the morning, especially during the last 30 minutes of the Morning Rush as there's almost zero sports talk at that time. If I find myself in the car during lunchtime, I almost always prefer Bart & Hahn to Miller & Condon and then it's a toss up between Cowherd and B&H. No offense to Chris & Ross, but Chiney & Golic was my go to on the way home, but both of them have been replaced by Canty and Carlin so I switched back to Fanatics.

The biggest thing is I don't have a radio or stream going at work, so rarely do I ever hear any of Murph & Andy or the entirety of the other shows. I also don't download the podcasts after the fact as I have a slate of others that I listen to at work. KXnO is hardly my go to for anything anymore, especially between April and August. Honestly, I tune into 810 WHB out of KC as much as I can to hear about the Royals and Chiefs, even if I do gets subjected to the occasional KU, KSU, and Mizzou talk. Although, it is interesting when Soren Petro does his 2-minute drill in which he contacts sport radio people from around the country to talk about the upcoming opponents to the KC area teams. He has had Ken Miller(And maybe even Ross) in that past to talk about the Cyclones and it is interesting to hear what they say about the Clones when the "home" crowd isn't listening.

Jumping on FM was a sneaky brilliant move. The sound quality is great, and makes AM seem borderline unlistenable. Plus all of the population growth within the listening area is within the FM range.

Even with podcasts, DM area radio has the advantage of being in a metro that's going to roughly double in the past 25 years, yet still has very short commutes where people tend to flip on their radios more often, and are less likely to listen to a podcast than if they had a 45 minute plus commute.

I think CW and Ross's show pretty much nailed what great local sports radio is supposed to be. I've lived in and traveled in other markets a lot back when big markets paid local guys pretty decent money. I'd put that show up against any of the local shows I've heard around the country as finding that sweet spot of local vs. national, sports vs. non-sports, actual opinions without the hot take for a reaction, and great host chemistry.

On the flip side I just haven't found the recent morning shows on KXnO to be good at all. The current one is just unlistenable to me. But there clearly are people that like it, so good for them.

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
I'll attest to what CW said about Sean. He's much smarter than people give him credit for, and that's primarily due to how well he plays his role in the mornings. He comes off like an idiot to some because that's the role he just has to play on that show for it to be successful. Off the air, he's one of my closest confidants and best friends. He will prove a lot of people wrong if given the opportunity to do so. He will put in the work required to make anything he does successful.

Reactions: NWICY and cy4state

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I'll attest to what CW said about Sean. He's much smarter than people give him credit for, and that's primarily due to how well he plays his role in the mornings. He comes off like an idiot to some because that's the role he just has to play on that show for it to be successful. Off the air, he's one of my closest confidants and best friends. He will prove a lot of people wrong if given the opportunity to do so. He will put in the work required to make anything he does successful.
Clearly some of it is overplayed for radio, because Travis feels like he's trying to do 'morning zoo" in the vein of Stern and Mancow instead of doing a sports show. Sean just may not know some things that are obvious to Travis, Heather, and those of us that are a bit older than Sean. At some point we all had the wrong idea on certain things, we just didn't have that lack of knowledge called out on the radio for lots of people to hear.

• Haha
Reactions: SolarGarlic

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
That's pretty clear if you ever listen to the Saturday morning show.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Some good points here. Some of the shows go downhill into sophomoric banter. Cringeworthy at times but I need diversion and any Cyclone news.

I remember watching sportscenter and stuff like that too to get the 30 second clip of ISU highlights. I can get that on twitter instantly. I haven't watched Sportscenter for years, and it's been the same for sports talk radio. I'm not going to listen to a 3 hour show for the 20 minutes of content I'm interested in. There are places like CF that just deliver that hit to me instantly and I don't need to sift through the other stuff.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
If Miller and Condon went away, KXnO would be a much better station.

I don't love Miller and Condon but I think you could do much worse. Their content is usually pretty solid, but I don't love the delivery. I don't mind the gambling stuff and appreciate alot of the guests they are able to get.

How Morning Rush is still on the air is beyond me. I'll typically have Fanatics on for the drive home and sometimes KXNO will still be on the radio in the morning, and what an odd combination of people. Travis strikes me as pretentious. Heather does fine in the few moments Travis isn't talking over her. Sean doesn't appear to do much more than bring the median age under the 40 y/o mark. Whether he's being typecast or not, his "class clown" schtick gets a little old.

Last edited:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I remember watching sportscenter and stuff like that too to get the 30 second clip of ISU highlights. I can get that on twitter instantly. I haven't watched Sportscenter for years, and it's been the same for sports talk radio. I'm not going to listen to a 3 hour show for the 20 minutes of content I'm interested in. There are places like CF that just deliver that hit to me instantly and I don't need to sift through the other stuff.
This is one of my problems with podcasts. Wish they all came with a transcript to get to what interests me. In off season, all sports commentary seems to venture into frat boy territory that is probably more interesting for men than me. But would like to get to the sports nuggets in a short amount of time commitment.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Clearly some of it is overplayed for radio, because Travis feels like he's trying to do 'morning zoo" in the vein of Stern and Mancow instead of doing a sports show. Sean just may not know some things that are obvious to Travis, Heather, and those of us that are a bit older than Sean. At some point we all had the wrong idea on certain things, we just didn't have that lack of knowledge called out on the radio for lots of people to hear.
They team up and make fun of Sean for not knowing something from 1983 when he was born in the late 80s. Yet he's not allowed to give them crap for being Boomers when it comes to current stuff.

Reactions: cy4state

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Judging by today’s guest host and the start to the show, they better get somebody good hired fast.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
This is one of my problems with podcasts. Wish they all came with a transcript to get to what interests me. In off season, all sports commentary seems to venture into frat boy territory that is probably more interesting for men than me. But would like to get to the sports nuggets in a short amount of time commitment.
A lot of podcasts will have timestamps in the episode description that tell you what topics are discussed and when

Reactions: carvers4math

Help Support Us

Become a patron