Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

TBT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2014
WDM, IA
I find it extremely ironic that Iowa fans are saying that winning by defense is awful and boring and won't last in basketball, yet they have no issue with that mentality in football where their team wins 8-10 games a year scoring only 5.2 touchdowns from their offense a year, total.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think he's the quintessential high floor low ceiling coach. He'll get you to the tourney but never do anything special. He got the BTT last year and good for him. I think he's a great offensive coach. I think he gets the most out of his talent.

How quickly we found out that this was quite a hollow accomplishment.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I find it extremely ironic that Iowa fans are saying that winning by defense is awful and boring and won't last in basketball, yet they have no issue with that mentality in football where their team wins 8-10 games a year scoring only 5.2 touchdowns from their offense a year, total.

It's the thing that has lasted in both sports since forever.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
"Cyclone basketball sucks to watch because there's no offense and it's all defense" is a bold take when bragging about football. Brian isn't exactly setting the world on fire with his offenses.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
"Cyclone basketball sucks to watch because there's no offense and it's all defense" is a bold take when bragging about football. Brian isn't exactly setting the world on fire with his offenses.

The thing with Iowa bball is they try to look like they're playing defense and it's clear they've prepped well on it...they just can't do it. You can't have Bobo out there trying to stop the ball and expect it to happen.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
But he is with his haircuts.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
The thing with Iowa bball is they try to look like they're playing defense and it's clear they've prepped well on it...they just can't do it. You can't have Bobo out there trying to stop the ball and expect it to happen.
According to Quinn Douglas, Bobo was a good defender when he wanted to be.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
If Fran could work the portal and got them to play just average defense, the Iowa bball program could be pretty dang solid.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
If Fran could work the portal and got them to play just average defense, the Iowa bball program could be pretty dang solid.
DisgustingUniformBee-size_restricted.gif

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I don't disagree with this, but couldn't you say this applies to something like 90% of college sports fans?
Most fans are largely only watching their team, regardless of style play.

If style of play is so important, then why aren't Grinnell basketball games sold out and broadcast on ESPN?

I will disagree that if TJ continues to run a defense heavy style, and ISU wins, goes to Sweet 16s, etc, that ISU fans will suddenly stop watching. Hilton will still be sold out. Fans will travel in waves to KC, NCAA sites, etc.

Winning is biggest (maybe only?) factor for fans.

Of course and I think it's really only becoming more locked in that way. If it's not a top 25 matchup playing a fun style, ISU, or a Big 12 team, I'm probably not watching. But I'm especially not watching a grindball team.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I agree with the first part, but not the second. Hard to call it luck when it keeps happening.

I’ll give Fran credit with Garza. He was a nice recruit but he also went outside the program to develop. The Murray brothers were waived in Frans face by their father.

All three of those players developed outside of the program, not because of Fran. Without the Iowa connection Fran NEVER would have even offered Keegan and Kris.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Getting lucky is part of it. He's recruited quite well at this point. He would have made 4 straight tournaments had it not been for COVID which is pretty good for that program.

Fran has done a good job always having a volume scorer but to say that he has done quite well recruiting is something...

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
As unpopular as this opinion may be, I still would not have traded Steve Prohm for Fran McCaffery. Obviously not a discussion point any more, but it seems like Fran is not adapting to todays basketball landscape as well as most, and not even close to what TJ is doing/capable of.

I made the mistake of going over to the hok site too.....god, I regret that.

• Dumb
Reactions: Macloney

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron