Houston, Cincy, and UCF set to join the Big 12 in 2023-24 season

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Sure it sucks that OU & UT didn't tell Big 12 they were looking to see if Big10 or SEC would have interest in letting them join for bigger $.

It is not about sucking, it is about leading and participating in Big 12 decisions without proper notification of going to the SEC being unlawful. There is a high chance UT, OU, and ESPN do not want things to go through discovery.

Where are you hearing ESPN isn't going to keep the Big12 whole?

I think that's why it's been quiet from a legal standpoint. ESPN knows it would be on the hook for 100% of money owed to Big12 through 2025. Especially now that Cincy, BYU, Houston and UCF have been added. No possible drop in Big 12 game inventory.

The 2nd factor is CFB Playoff. The SEC and OU/UT expected the change to 12 teams and 1.3B of new playoff revenue. Now that it has been tabled- the benefit of adding OU/UT isn't there quite yet.

"It's pretty obvious that the remaining 8 don't really want to get bogged down in court. After Bowlsby made his original tampering charges- it's been crickets."

Seems like you're pivoting now?

Regardless, that's right, the general thought is ESPN and technically Fox either have to make us whole to 2025, or OUT will stay. It's been quiet because there is nothing the Big 12 needs to say. And they certainly don't need to take into account OUT's wishes when scheduling out of fear of a threat of going to court.

It's just business. The Big 12 will set up divisions and scheduling that are best for the future of the Big 12. They sit on a strong hand in regards getting compensated through 2025 and are not going to schedule in fear of OUT. That likely means preventing an OUT championship game, putting OUT at as many competitive disadvantages as possible. Ideally the Big 12 would reduce the chances OUT gets the best timeslots, although not really their call.

The most unlikely scenario is OUT leaving with no agreed deal and the Big 12 keeping their TV rights up to the Big 12 amount. OUT likely challenges in court, perhaps pressures ESPN to pay them directly. Which would have implications on the ACC.

And not because the Big 12 will give concessions to avoid court. The Big 12 has the benefit of little to lose and the GOR.

Remember, we only know right now because of the A&M "leak" (imo likely intentional by the SEC). It is going to be quiet as OUT and the networks figure out if the timeline is worth moving up. That likely depended on things like CFP and NCCAA vs Johnson, and possibly other realignment moves. Potentially, the networks, primarily ESPN, are waiting on knowing what will occur in other conferences before deciding on OUT. Why spend money to move OUT before 2025 if things get blown up in 2026? Or sooner. Does ESPN plan to use the Big 12 to reach its longer term plans?

The new SEC deal kicks in a year before the Big 12 new deal. If moving OUT a year early to the SEC deal, and ESPN holds the schools in the two conferences to their current pay, does ESPN gain more on the SEC side from having OUT there than they lose on the Big 12 side? In theory, they are saving on paying OUT the Big 12 number as SEC teams,

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Too much respect is given to SEC. They have dogs and are top loaded. The schedule s they set help the conference look better than it is.
Agree and you have to hand it to them playing a non conference cake walk game in Nov is genius - gives them an off week without the off week.
^Why we should follow their model going forward. More bowl eligible teams = more money. The only stat that matters is the W-L column.

• Winner
Reactions: CascadeClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Agree, from contractual standpoint, highly unlikely it could happen even if Remainder 8 wanted it.

Maybe there's a "Vengeance Clause" in the Big 12 agreement somewhere. :)
Considering how many times the same few schools have ended up on the Longhorn network I have a hard time believing that they would be able to make such a claim stick unless it was very egregious. It isn't like that honor has exactly been evenly distributed.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I say we only give then the RRR if they agree to sept game in Orlando and Thanksgiving games in Ames and Manhattan.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
More than any of the schools involved, Texas really feels like they're above having to deal with Houston.
Have you thought about away games yet? I'm down with first crack at all but Houston (because I went to the bowl game there). I look back and that was a long time ago though, so maybe I'd go back. Hoping Cincy would fall in line with a Bengals home game weekend.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
More than any of the schools involved, Texas really feels like they're above having to deal with Houston.
Give them one year of playing at Houston and at UCF and there will be a lot of their donors screaming for a deal to get out of the Big 12 before the next year. The league should hold either or both of OUT feet to the fire for as much as the league can get in any settlement. No discounts - what they are getting is the opportunity to leave early.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Give them one year of playing at Houston and at UCF and there will be a lot of their donors screaming for a deal to get out of the Big 12 before the next year. The league should hold either or both of OUT feet to the fire for as much as the league can get in any settlement. No discounts - what they are getting is the opportunity to leave early.
I can't wait to see UCF troll OU or TX about "winning a Natty" more recently.

Reactions: NWICY

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Have you thought about away games yet? I'm down with first crack at all but Houston (because I went to the bowl game there). I look back and that was a long time ago though, so maybe I'd go back. Hoping Cincy would fall in line with a Bengals home game weekend.
I'm literally exploring the new towns on Google right now.

I have no idea if or when I'll be able to make any of the new stadiums. I'd love to go to Cincy and Provo and would do Houston and Orlando if it worked.

Anything between the last weekend of September and Thanksgiving Day is out of the question, but the new look Big 12 might flex more conference games early and what not.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm literally exploring the new towns on Google right now.

I have no idea if or when I'll be able to make any of the new stadiums. I'd love to go to Cincy and Provo and would do Houston and Orlando if it worked.

Anything between the last weekend of September and Thanksgiving Day is out of the question, but the new look Big 12 might flex more conference games early and what not.
Cincy will be a nice add much how I think Louisville could have been. Drive out on a Friday at 8am and you're there at 5ish.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
I want to see OU and UT not play each other and both play in Provo at 11am.

I've always disliked that those two schools got a neutral site game every freaking year, thus taking away a true road game for them. It really was such an advantage for them too.

The rest of our conference mates need to get together and make their life/scheduling as ****** as they can for these freaking traitors.

Also, the first line of business our new commissioner, whomever it will be, needs to announce that when we have the 4 new members, we as a conference will only be playing 8 conference games just like the SEC does now. We will only switch to 9 conference games when they make the change as well. Until then, it is NOT a level playing field for the P6. Call out the BS scheduling the SEC has been doing for years and benefiting from it.

PPS. UCF needs to change their name back to Florida Tech. Directional Florida name school sounds like ****. (Just my two cents. * I would have rather had Memphis and all the FedEx money instead.)

Reactions: NWICY

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

I thought it was rumored that Texas has the money to pay the Big 12 and leave right away, it's Oklahoma that doesn't.