Iowa vs Penn St

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
How is the beginning weight decided? There are so many potentially great matches. Would starting at 125 create the most suspense or might it lessen it if Ayala can't go?

I believe both coaches have to agree on a weight or its a random draw

Reactions: Ocy Docy

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
How is the beginning weight decided? There are so many potentially great matches. Would starting at 125 create the most suspense or might it lessen it if Ayala can't go?

Coaches can mutually agree on any starting weight (doesn't have to be 125).

If they don't agree, there's a coin flip. Winner of the flip chooses either starting weight or odd/even (for 2nd period choices). Loser gets the other choice.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I didn't believe it either, but it was interesting that Ybarra was listed as an option in the pre-meet notes. Ultimately, we likely won't know until the match starts. If Ybarra does go, Crabs has some damn good sources
My source is pretty dialed in to Fort Dodge wrestlers. I am completely confident that Ayala is somewhat banged up and that is the reason you see Ybarra listed. It is also interesting that several people have asked to confirm my rumor over on the HR board but no insider has responded. If there is no truth to it, one of them would have squashed it by now.

I will say that from what I heard the injury is not season threatening, so I’m my mind that does leave open the possibility that Ayala gets tossed out there at less than 100%. Ayala is a tough SOB and I’m sure he’ll want to be out there. As we know the Brands aren’t great in exercising restraint or good judgement when it comes to who steps on the mat so they may put him out there.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
My source is pretty dialed in to Fort Dodge wrestlers. I am completely confident that Ayala is somewhat banged up and that is the reason you see Ybarra listed. It is also interesting that several people have asked to confirm my rumor over on the HR board but no insider has responded. If there is no truth to it, one of them would have squashed it by now.

I will say that from what I heard the injury is not season threatening, so I’m my mind that does leave open the possibility that Ayala gets tossed out there at less than 100%. Ayala is a tough SOB and I’m sure he’ll want to be out there. As we know the Brands aren’t great in exercising restraint or good judgement when it comes to who steps on the mat so they may put him out there.

If it is a less than 100% Ayala, I would switch my prediction to a decision for Hildebrandt and a 19-12 win for PSU.

Agreed on all of your post, I think there is probably something up with Ayala. Would be smart for the Brands to rest him if he is dinged up, but as you stated they don't generally show the best restraint

Htowncyfan

Mar 18, 2018
The real question will be what of these things don't happen?

1. RBY catches Desanto and Desanto injury defaults out
  2. Terry runs half ways over to the PSU side only to realize there stands Cael and Varner
  3. Carver 2 seconds into Ayala (if they start at 125) is calling for stalling and yelling they don't like tough wrestling
  4. PSU wins and some walmart hawk fan yells look at the banners you got a long ways to go we invented wrestling
Whining about stalling starts there out in the parking lot before the introductions.

• Haha
Reactions: fitzgev and ISU22CY

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Remember national duals when Varner wrestled. Brands and Metcalf were trying to start crap, then Cael and Jake just stared them down and they shut up?
Brands shut up? I don’t believe it for a second. He tried picking a fight with Tolly wasn’t it?

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Can't wait for this dual. @crablegs is claiming on the PSU boards that Ayala is injured and won't be wrestling, which would be a major blow to Iowa's chances. Below are my predictions if Ayala goes:

125- Ayala by decision in a minor upset. 3-0 Iowa
133- Desanto hasn't beat RBY in a long time, and don't think he does Friday. 3-3
141- Lee is just wrestling better than Eierman right now, don't see Lee losing this one. 6-3 PSU
149- Must win here for Iowa. I think it will be close, but Murin wins on a late TD. 6-6
157- KY will win by 3-4 points. 9-6 Iowa
165- I don't see Marinelli losing at Carver, but wouldn't be surprised if Berge flips the results come March. 12-6 Iowa
174- Might be match of the dual. Really depends how healthy Kem is, but I think Starocci wins a close one. 12-9 Iowa
184- Brooks is just on another level than Abe, and I think Brooks will know that a major could be the difference in the dual. The greats find a way to get majors when their teams need it. 13-12 PSU
197- I think Dean is slightly overrated, and Warner finds ways to win close matches. Give me Warner by a 1 point decision. 15-13 Iowa
Hwt- Kerk is a different beast this year. Cass is a very good wrestler, but think Kerk wins this comfortably (3-4 points). 16-15 PSU
Word for word almost agree with everything. 125 obviously shaky right now but if Ayala is healthy I got him.
149 I think Bartlett is super talented and it’s only a matter of time before he levels up and steals a big match, just not this one.
174 I’m actually taking Kem in Carver. That match against Mark was epic.
184 I don’t see major
197 I also think Dean is slightly overrated because of the color of his singlet
Hwt agreed

Reactions: stuclone