Brian Joens needs to be dealt with

Status
Not open for further replies.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Brian Joens is a problem and is making a mockery of this program. I was one section over from where parents sit. He looked manic. Heckled, cursed and yelled insults the entire game. Was not supporting the team it was obvious he was only there to make a scene. This is also directly in front of the press table. He should have been asked to leave. As a man, I understand not wanting to make a scene with someone like that but it’s embarrassing to the program.
Solid first post...why did it take 6+ years to make it? 1642699341385.png

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Let me first say that I didn't know about this as I just casually follow WBB.

It really makes me think less of Fennelly. He can yell at everyone else but he won't put this guy in line because he's scared of losing his daughters? It just seems pretty cowardly.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I've gone to their restaurant in Iowa City. Mom and dad were really nice. Enjoyed talking to them about their family and basketball.

Their lives are filled with stress. First, they have a bunch of kids to raise. Second, they live and work in Iowa City. Third, they have to keep a restaurant going these days. Fourth, when not working, they have to watch refs not call fouls in crucial moments as their daughters get hacked. Not an excuse, but they have a high score on the stress-o-meter.
Wow, I was kind of waiting for something actually super challenging in life, like dealing with a special needs kid, death of a child, serious health issue, etc., not that they have a lot of kids, a business and their kids don't get calls from refs.

The dude needs to get it together.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Mods watching this thread right now be like
human-whack-a-mole-inflatable-game4.gif
Can confirm

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

It really makes me think less of Fennelly. He can yell at everyone else but he won't put this guy in line because he's scared of losing his daughters? It just seems pretty cowardly.

You're forgetting the part about high level college athletics being a total cesspool, and that's probably an insult to cesspools....

• Winner
Reactions: ISC

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Not here to pile on. I hope folks will be sensitive to the entire Joens family when they post comments in this thread.

On a related note, I ran across a really interesting article that talks about Ashley's recruitment to Iowa State.

Interesting quote from Bluder

She also confirms that she did not offer the five-star recruit a scholarship.

"Recruiting is not a black-and-white scene," she said. "There are so many things involved in recruiting"

• Agree
Reactions: isu81

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Again, let’s all be careful what we assume. I would hope Fennelly is doing what is best for the kids he coaches.

• Agree
Reactions: clone4life82

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I've gone to their restaurant in Iowa City. Mom and dad were really nice. Enjoyed talking to them about their family and basketball.

Their lives are filled with stress. First, they have a bunch of kids to raise. Second, they live and work in Iowa City. Third, they have to keep a restaurant going these days. Fourth, when not working, they have to watch refs not call fouls in crucial moments as their daughters get hacked. Not an excuse, but they have a high score on the stress-o-meter.
This is the dumbest **** I've ever heard of, as if all of us that have kids, jobs, and issues with officiating need to be abusive towards everyone. Guy is a POS, ive seen people get into it at football games for the most petty stuff and nobody that attends these games can stand up to this bully teach him a lesson?

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

There are literally millions of people that have that amount of stress or worse and yet still don't act like a complete asshat in public.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
My daughter is a freshman in college now, and I am so happy that we're done with travel ball. It's sickening to see how many softball dads who think this is okay behavior. Most of them got weeded out along the way to 18U, but for the unfortunate few whose daughters' talent outweighed the cons of an insane parent, the rest of us are stuck having to be near them if we want to cheer for our daughters and their teammates. I had really hoped it would no longer be a thing in college, but I guess we'll find out next weekend in Clearwater.

I've been going to wbb games for a long time now and he's the first one where I thought "we have a problem". Others I've seen be loud or such, but this is a whole different level that he takes it to.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

The statements you make are full of assumptions that you likely don’t have any information to back up and some outright falsehoods.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
I understand wanting to lock this thread, but this needs to be said and addressed and people need to bring this behavior to light. It's not right and not fair to others. Maybe if he sees this thread, he can see that others are "worried" for him and he needs to do some very big self-reflection ... guessing his personality will make that impossible, but I'm hoping he can change.

• Optimistic
Reactions: MJ29

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I have read everything’s about this guy. I feel bad for his kids who give great effort and represent well.

I will say I would have thrown a fit at the A@M game last year and the way that went down. I thought that would be a normal parent reaction. However, after reading this thread I would not longer be of that opinion. Sounds like he has some mental issues.

Anyone that heckles a college player, more than just the normal “Perry Ellis is my grandpa” type stuff or booing a player when they get the ball, is not the type of person I would like associated with Iowa state.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone
Status
Not open for further replies.