Could Otz be the end of Hoiberg's coaching career?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
That's why I prefer ISU playing in the last slot on Friday (day 2). If you DO happen to lose in R1, at least there's two full days of viewing without it bumming you out from the get-go (as well as heightening anticipation of opening game).

Pretty sure the Ohio State game was the last, or close to last, slot on Friday night. Perfection.

Even that Nevada game in 2017 was a late night slot on Thursday. I much prefer those over daytime slots.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
And with basketball, you can flip that pretty quick compared to most sports.
This is true. One or two players can change a basketball team dramatically. That’s one thing I admire about Otz , he did not bring in a couple 5stars, he brought in a bunch of largely blue collar guys that bought into what he wants to do. Not saying that Hunter is not big time, as I think he will become a superstar.
This is a harder way to go - but more likely to last. Okie State hired the father (?) of the #1 player in America, Cunningham, which immediately made them good, but he is now gone. Kudos to TJ, the clones are here to stay, imho.

william2001

Sep 11, 2020
Is it possible that Fred "overachieved" while at ISU.
Sounds like we are becoming fans that like to eat our own. Total BS about FH. He has class and smarts and given time he will get it done. I wanted TJ to replace FH but this year could be one that is not repeated easily. I love TJ but to compare the two with TJOs half a season is pretty silly

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Sounds like we are becoming fans that like to eat our own. Total BS about FH. He has class and smarts and given time he will get it done. I wanted TJ to replace FH but this year could be one that is not repeated easily. I love TJ but to compare the two with TJOs half a season is pretty silly
He won't get it done at Nebraska, that's blatantly obvious. Nobody is eating their own either, but don't expect many people to have sympathy for his current situation. It's not like we ran him off, he chose that career path.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Last slot on Sunday (Notre Dame was last slot on Friday in 1st round). But your point applies.

ISU also was in final set of Friday games in '19 ... so we pushed back the letdown till end of first round, at least ... downside it puts a bummer ending on the evening (but it beats early-afternoon).

('01 vs. H was final slot Thursday night ... at least got a full day of anticipation before that train wreck).

I mean the 2019 OSU game. But that Friday/Sunday slot worked well. I think the ND game was in the evening.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I mean the 2019 OSU game. But that Friday/Sunday slot worked well. I think the ND game was in the evening.

(I deleted my previous post due to misinterpreting which season you referenced Sorry!)

ND and Ohio State in '13 were both late slot, yes.

Fwiw '01 H was final slot on Thursday - at least it was full day of game-watching and anticipation before that train wreck.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
If we're using Otz as the baseline for how quick a turn around of a rebuild should be then most of the CBB coaches should be fired
I don’t know about fired, but their fans should be disappointed.
In today’s CBB, if you’re doing a long, “right way” rebuild, you’re doing it wrong. We’ve known this for over a decade.

Rosters are nearly annual things now. Many high majors have a lot of turnover every two years regardless of coaching change

Also fortuitous timing to come in “after” Covid, with the free year meaning more players available than ever before

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
What also might be looked at is during Fred and Prohm's good years who was the assistant coach and maybe had more to do with the success than he was given credit for
He was on McDermott's staff as well, so you have to count those seasons too if you want to make that comparison

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
What also might be looked at is during Fred and Prohm's good years who was the assistant coach and maybe had more to do with the success than he was given credit for

No doubt Otz was a good assistant, but I think fans tend to overblow the “star assistant” factor.

Sure, there’s stories like Lickliter/Stevens, Monson/Few, and so on. But at the same time not many coaches will succeed if they don’t hire good assistants.

Reactions: CyBobby

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Comparing TJs turnaround is completely unrealistic. But it’s probable that after this year the Hoiberg era is the worst in almost a century of Nebraska basketball. I don’t think you realize how hard it is to only win single digit games as a power conference team these days. Good chance Fred finishes with 7, 7, and <10 wins. That’s historical badness. It isn’t happening for Fred at Nebraska.

Reactions: isutrevman

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
The primary gripe I had with Fred was ISU typically under performed on the road. That made a difference in final Big 12 standings and NCAA seeding. But, that's a vanity point as a fan. Its no secret its really tough to win road conference games. Fred maybe won once in Lubbock for example. Tech sucked in those days. 3's would not fall in that gym for some reason and ISU would continue to jack them up.

Overall I felt he did a phenomenal job and turned Hilton into a snake pit for the opposition. Seeing ISU going out and absolutely smoking UCONN and Notre Dame late on Friday of the NCAA tourney are great memories. Big 12 tourney titles as well.

The UAB game still stings, but we all know something wasn't right within the team at that point of the season. The Niang broken foot is what gives me a bad case of the "what ifs" with the potent offense of Georges, Melvin, and Kane. That team IMO was set up best of all to make the deepest ISU run with 3 scoring forces producing every night.

It's been a really good decade for ISU athletics. Hilton Magic has been back for a long time(minus 2 SP years) and CMC rarely loses in JTS. Really can't point to a FB or BB game the team can't win.