Big 10 Stinks - Northwestern

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
i can't wait until Texas rips Ohio State. Texas will be out to prove they should have been in the big game.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
That was really an outstanding college football game.

NU acquitted themselves well.

I haven't seen Missouri - well Chase Daniel at least - play that poorly all year, though, and they still won.

Missouri's D is horrible, and between that and Chase Daniel not making throws he usually makes, that kept Northwestern in that game. IMO, Missouri wins that matchup 8 times out of 10.

Jeremy Maclin is insanely good.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
So what happens if Ohio State keeps it close or (gasp) even wins that game? Will Texas not want to be there?

I think Texas will be pretty motivated. If they turn OSU into rubble and Oklahoma lays an egg against Florida, then they will show everyone that they should have been in the championship game instead of Oklahoma thus allowing them and their fans to act smug for the next 9 months.

Besides, OSU has played exactly one good team this entire year, and look at what happened to them then.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I think Texas will be pretty motivated. If they turn OSU into rubble and Oklahoma lays an egg against Florida, then they will show everyone that they should have been in the championship game instead of Oklahoma thus allowing them and their fans to act smug for the next 9 months.

Besides, OSU has played exactly one good team this entire year, and look at what happened to them then.

They played one good team? They did play Penn State as well. And let's not forget what they did to a ranked MSU team on the road. And a ranked NU team on the road.

Remember the same super-slow NU team that slugged their way into an OT game against Missouri (and had much better offensive numbers than them too).

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
They played one good team? They did play Penn State as well. And let's not forget what they did to a ranked MSU team on the road. And a ranked NU team on the road.

Remember the same super-slow NU team that slugged their way into an OT game against Missouri (and had much better offensive numbers than them too).

Mizzou didn't want to be there.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive

I am keeping track of all Big 10 and Big 12 offensive and defensive #'s and coming out with averages. We will see how it pans out at the end. So far the big #'s are 0-2 and 1-0.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Mizzou didn't want to be there.

Even your god Jon Miller admits this is a factor. I do not believe it was in the game last night. He happened to mention a 9-3 Texas team lining up against a 6-6 Iowa team is not exactly motivating. You and SH may be the only two in the whole world that believe this 'letdown' does not exist.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
Even your god Jon Miller admits this is a factor. I do not believe it was in the game last night. He happened to mention a 9-3 Texas team lining up against a 6-6 Iowa team is not exactly motivating. You and SH may be the only two in the whole world that believe this 'letdown' does not exist.

Make it three.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota

No, I sure do believe it exists. It's not Iowa fans that have a problem admitting it exists. In case you haven't noticed, the comments "they didn't want to be there" is something Iowa fans use when Iowa uses to ISU. Of course, when Iowa seems to come out lacking energy and completely flat, it's because ISU is just the better team, and "Why would a team come out and not want to win a game?"

So yes, I agree, it exists. Missouri was the better team, and are by far. BTW, I'm bookmarking this thread for the next time ISU fans try to bring up the "super bowl" argument in mockery of Iowa fans.

So which is it? Teams can come out flat, or they can't?

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
No, I sure do believe it exists. It's not Iowa fans that have a problem admitting it exists. In case you haven't noticed, the comments "they didn't want to be there" is something Iowa fans use when Iowa uses to ISU. Of course, when Iowa seems to come out lacking energy and completely flat, it's because ISU is just the better team, and "Why would a team come out and not want to win a game?"

So yes, I agree, it exists. Missouri was the better team, and are by far. BTW, I'm bookmarking this thread for the next time ISU fans try to bring up the "super bowl" argument in mockery of Iowa fans.

You could just bookmark the game thread from last night as well. The "Mizzou doesn't even want to be here" line was used more times than I can count.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
You could just bookmark the game thread from last night as well. The "Mizzou doesn't even want to be here" line was used more times than I can count.

I did not believe that from last night at all. Mizzou is not good and proved that the last few games of the season.

I wonder about the psyche of Texas...two thoughts enter my mind. They play like garbage because of not being in the championship or they chew up OSU and spit them out and hope for a split national champhionship. (AP and BCS champ is winner of OU and Florida.) My guess is that if OU wins, there will be a split championship....

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
I did not believe that from last night at all. Mizzou is not good and proved that the last few games of the season.

I wonder about the psyche of Texas...two thoughts enter my mind. They play like garbage because of not being in the championship or they chew up OSU and spit them out and hope for a split national champhionship. (AP and BCS champ is winner of OU and Florida.) My guess is that if OU wins, there will be a split championship....

I'm not expecting you to go through that entire thread, but that line of thinking was used more than once - as if setting up talking points to use in case jNU won the game.

Another point to consider is that if Ohio State is supposed to get beaten as badly as jNU was, it'll be a pretty good game. Ohio State will be able to hang with Texas.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Arnt you Iowa fans suppose to be at a bowl game having a good time, not on some ISU message board.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008

Penn State, Northwestern, and Michigan State? Big deal. Those are upper division Big Ten teams which means they are mediocre at best. Ohio State beating them only shows how bad the Big Ten really is.

Ohio State played one good team -- USC -- and and did not belong on the same field with them.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Penn State, Northwestern, and Michigan State? Big deal. Those are upper division Big Ten teams which means they are mediocre at best. Ohio State beating them only shows how bad the Big Ten really is.

Ohio State played one good team -- USC -- and and did not belong on the same field with them.

So Missouri is mediocre at best.

And LOL at Penn State being mediocre. You're clearly ignorant when it comes to sports.

dundermifflin

Nov 14, 2007

Big difference between a team that thinks there is no way they can lose (Iowa), but really wants and needs the win (against ISU) and a Missouri / Texas team that yes wants to win, but it is a meaningless win / loss when the game is over.

It should not happen, but a team not getting up for an average bowl game is more believable than a team not getting up for an in-state rival at the beginning of the season.

"So which is it" Iowa was / is up for the ISU game and Texas / MO were not.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron